Local Currencies for Baltics Cruise

Anubi

We are doing a Baltics cruise and will be visiting Sweden, Denmark & Norway.  Will we need some of the local currency?  We can use either the US dollar or Euros at the other ports but I have heard that we will need local currency in these three places. 

I can't speak for Norway, but Denmark and Sweden are almost cashless societies now.  You should be able to use credit cards for pretty much everything.  The only thing I needed cash for was one food street vendor (of many that we visited) in Copenhagen, and one public toilet in Stockholm needed a few coins.

For that little amount, I'd consider just changing a bit on the ship if you can.

Credit cards should work.  In Copenhagen even the ice cream shop used credit cards.  That said, we did take about $20 in local currency for things like snacks, and bathrooms. These folks did not take cards.

enhance

So maybe $15 in those currencies?  We love to go to the small vendors and sample the local snacks.  We've already been warned about the bathrooms.  

Thanks for you input, that helps a lot.  

7 hours ago, mskaufman said:

These folks did not take cards.

enhance

On the other hand, that picture looks to be from Helsinki rather than any of the countries mentioned in the original post. Finland seems to be a nod behind in turning into cashless society than its Scandinavian neighbours (and Denmark), although sure even here you can survive easily with only a small amount of cash and use cards for most transactions.

And if you ask how I was able to identify that this is Helsinki (Market Square to be specific), it is the JT-Line gangway in the background as I believe that sightseeing/charter boat company does not operate elsewhere.

5 hours ago, Hezu said:

On the other hand, that picture looks to be from Helsinki rather than any of the countries mentioned in the original post. Finland seems to be a nod behind in turning into cashless society than its Scandinavian neighbours (and Denmark), although sure even here you can survive easily with only a small amount of cash and use cards for most transactions.

And if you ask how I was able to identify that this is Helsinki (Market Square to be specific), it is the JT-Line gangway in the background as I believe that sightseeing/charter boat company does not operate elsewhere.

You are right.  It is from Helsinki.  Sorry, I misread all of the stops.

I realize Amsterdam isn't included the original question, but we saw restaurants there that posted "credit card only."  I think it is a trend in general in Northern Europe.

I find it kind of funny how quickly things changed. In 2010 we were warned that many small businesses in the Netherlands wouldn’t accept credit cards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, ljandgb said:

I realize Amsterdam isn't included the original question, but we saw restaurants there that posted "credit card only."  I think it is a trend in general in Northern Europe.

Not on the continent, but I think Iceland gets the prize for letting you use a debit or credit card for their public toilets.

enhance

(photo by turtles06)

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Not on the continent, but I think Iceland gets the prize for letting you use a debit or credit card for their public toilets.

enhance

(photo by turtles06)

Not only Iceland - also widely used in Scandinavia.

1 hour ago, Tranquility Base said:

Thanks for all the info.

If I want to use cash ( I know there will be places which are card only ) are there usually money changers or banks where I can get local currency in ports.

Thinking Norway, Sweden & Denmark.

Yes, In Copenhagen, Oslo and Stockholm. In  small ports maybe not -  and some places extremely expensive - a debit card for ATM might be possible. Some shops will accept Euro or US$ - not a favorable rate, however might be better than fee on Credit Card if using ATM.

You might even find shops not accepting cash at all. What is the problem using a credit card? Or a Mobil Phone payment solution.

On 1/25/2019 at 11:56 AM, Anubi said:

. . . . We've already been warned about the bathrooms.  

So what exactly was the warning about the bathrooms?  Whether we get local currency (for Belgium, Norway, Denmark) in advance at home, from an ATM in port, or exchange onboard, I would expect it to be bills, not coins.  I have a fear of needing to use a public bathroom and not having the right coins.  :classic_ohmy:

6 hours ago, Joanne G. said:

So what exactly was the warning about the bathrooms?  Whether we get local currency (for Belgium, Norway, Denmark) in advance at home, from an ATM in port, or exchange onboard, I would expect it to be bills, not coins.  I have a fear of needing to use a public bathroom and not having the right coins.  :classic_ohmy:

I've been told that some European countries charge for public toilets and to have change for that.  Its been a while since I was told that so perhaps bills are now the way to go.  Or as someone posted above, using credit cards.  I plan to follow one of this summer's Baltic cruises and ask for an update. 

We're also on a HAL Baltic cruise that includes Russia (St Peteresburg port and then a day trip to Moscow) and Germany.    Any word on what currencies to use there??

I know the main stores will accept credit cards, but like several of you mentioned, what about little street souvenirs, pay toilets, etc.

Do most cruise ships have a cash exchange?

On 1/28/2019 at 11:01 AM, Joanne G. said:

Right - ATM will dispense bills - not coins. The method of payment re: pay toilets depends upon the country you are visiting. For example, on our most recent jaunt to Germany (2 months ago), the pay toilets that we encountered accepted only euro coins.  That said, we rarely have the need to utilize pay toilets - museums, restaurants (assuming you are purchasing something) and some gift shops offer free use of their restrooms.

7 hours ago, Lovetotrrravel said:

We carried VISA and M/C and didn't use any cash. For St.Petersburg, our tour provider - Best Guides - suggested that we let our bank know that we were planning to travel to Russia and give them the travel dates. We did so and never had any problem.

We once had our credit card frozen in the Bahamas.  After that, every time we travel we let the bank know.  

We were on Disney, and could change currency at the customer service desk.  We did get about $100 in Rubles, which was probably $95 too many.  The shops took CC, and the shop at the Hermitage took dollars (as my husband had the Rubles but was not with me.)

I've seen some public restrooms in Europe that require coins to enter the turnstile, like trying to get on the subway.  Others have an attendant with a small basket and you just drop your money in.  One, in Paris, had a man behind a counter, where you could get change. Some were free. I think it's a good idea to have a few Euro with you just in case, but if you're on a tour, most guides will be able to point out the cleanest/free restrooms along the route.

We just used credit cards. Much of Europe is cash free now, so you may find places that won't take cash at all. We used a travel guide in Stockholm and St. Petersburg (Anastasia's Travel) and they did remind us to let our credit card companies know where we would be traveling, as well as the dates, so they didn't block the transactions. 

Usually in Scandinavian countries I do pretty well without any local cash. Everyone accepts cards, and there is always an alternative to pay toilets, like bathrooms in cafes and museums. I am not sure if you are stopping in St Petersburg, however, even in Russia you can do without any local cash.

Enjoy your cruise!

• Thanks 1