Considering Celebrity and Could Use Some Help

NotTooCritical

Hello there! I've only sailed on Carnival but am looking to try other lines. One thing I seem to hear frequently from people that have sailed Carnival and try other lines is that there aren't as many activities on other lines and/or there's not much to do after 10pm. I'm sure it may come down to what you're interested in whether or not there is enough to do. I'm not sure what they are referred to on Celebrity, but does anyone have a daily activities paper that you would post for a standard 7 day cruise? I'd like to see what they offer and at what times. If it makes any difference, I'm leaning towards the Edge or the Solstice class ships. Thank you!

41 minutes ago, NotTooCritical said:

Hello there! I've only sailed on Carnival but am looking to try other lines. One thing I seem to hear frequently from people that have sailed Carnival and try other lines is that there aren't as many activities on other lines and/or there's not much to do after 10pm. I'm sure it may come down to what you're interested in whether or not there is enough to do. I'm not sure what they are referred to on Celebrity, but does anyone have a daily activities paper that you would post for a standard 7 day cruise? I'd like to see what they offer and at what times. If it makes any difference, I'm leaning towards the Edge or the Solstice class ships. Thank you!

It would help us if you would describe what you enjoy doing on a cruise vacation. If you've done ONLY Carnival and are looking to try Celebrity that's great, but tbh they are at either end of the spectrum with regard to mainstream cruiselines and I hope you you wont't be disappointed with Celebrity. As a background I have 16 Carnival cruises under my belt, with 2 more scheduled for this year, and 17 Celebrity under my belt, with one more scheduled for this year.

In MY opinion one of the main differences between Carnival and Celebrity is Carnival's main goal is for everyone to have FUN. Carnival's idea of fun is loud music everywhere but especially the pooldeck, activities, group deck parties, lots of comedy shows (you know how people line up for Carnival comedy shows)and just a outgoing energetic atmosphere throughout the cruise experience. It always amazes me how packed the nightly pool deck parties are;everyone enjoys those! The main pool deck is always packed with people and the music is going full blast. Usually the pool is standing room only and people are just fine with that. I find Carnival cruisers are on the ship to have FUN, and it shows. While this may be an exaggeration and/or generalization I find Carnival cruisers are not there to complain about things but to have a fun vacation. I mean complaining is just not what people do on a Carnival cruise.

It's also surprising to me the amount of late night programming Carnival does. Movies by the pool are always well attended but Carnival has movies that start at Midnight! That means generally the movie won't be over until 2am! You won't find that on ANY Celebrity cruise.

Carnival ships are also less concerned about the aesthetics. You will not find one piece of real artwork on any Carnival ship. I was on it's flagship,The Horizon twice last year and while I enjoyed the ship very much it continues not to have ANY artwork whatsoever. The staterooms are very basic and plain. The bathrooms are one piece blue plastic and even on the newest ship the showers only have a plastic shower curtain, not a solid door. 

I find that Carnival cruisers that have not sailed other lines feel some of the other cruiselines are too FANCY and STUFFY. If you're looking for a more quiet, refined and less frenetic cruise experience Celebrity would be a good choice. But I think you need to seriously decide for yourself what are you expecting from your cruise vacation. The best analogy would be comparing hotel chains. Are you comfortable just staying at a regular Holiday Inn? Or do you want more from a hotel and enjoy places like The W Hotels? 

Edited by kwokpot
  • Thanks 1

I haven't sailed Carnival in awhile but I've been on them several times and had good experiences.  What do you like to do while onboard?  I prefer X because it is a lot quieter.  I don't do many activities and like to listen to speakers, etc.. .  I thought the newer Carnival ships were getting a little too crowded which is why I prefer Celebrity by far.  

After reading the above comparison I’m now nervous about my decision to book Equinox on March 23. 

Ive sailed on 11 Carnival cruises since I was 26. I’m now about to turn 60 and decided it’s time to try a more sedate cruise line. I hope I’m not disappointed. My wife and I don’t generally participate in Carnival activities but we do like the “party around us..”  

49 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

After reading the above comparison I’m now nervous about my decision to book Equinox on March 23. 

Ive sailed on 11 Carnival cruises since I was 26. I’m now about to turn 60 and decided it’s time to try a more sedate cruise line. I hope I’m not disappointed. My wife and I don’t generally participate in Carnival activities but we do like the “party around us..”  

There is still a "party" going on...I like watching the silent disco lol.  There are still games and people having fun, live music, etc.  The only way you'll ever know is to give it a try and go from there.  You may wind up loving it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NotTooCritical said:

Hey there

If you search in the forum (use search box upper left) and look for the Dailies you may get some pics of the recent Daily schedules. You can also try a google search for images which may help

Search for the ship  etc.

That should help you see whats going on during the day/evenings.

Happy sailing

• Thanks 1

I say step outside your comfort zone and experience Celebrity.  We have been on 33 cruises.  Platinum with Carnival and RC.  We cruised Celebrity about 4 years ago and loved it.  We started cruising in our mid 20's and are now in our mid+50's.  We are going on our 3rd Celebrity cruise this year and looking very forward to it.  Try it - you might like it!

• Like 1

I agree with some of the above posters.

If you are a party person you will like Carnival.

Celebrity is more of an older crowd, quite  older, I would estimate a more 50ish and above, very, very few children.

If you like a more sedate crowd you will love Celebrity.

Haven't been on the Edge but the Solstice class ships are beautiful and feel uncrowded.  Smoking is allowed only in designated areas on Celebrity.  Food is very good.  We sail them exclusively except for river cruises.  Hope you choose to sail with them and that you enjoy your cruise.

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

More of a party atmosphere and activities on Royal Caribbean than Celebrity - but each is still much more sedate than Carnival.

Agree 100% with your statement. Funny that loyal Carnival cruisers think ROYAL cruisers are snobby? 

i'm always amazed how Carnival cruisers just, love, love,love the comedy shows. People line up and hour before!

On the my 2nd Carnival Horizon last year I was at the Playlist Production show called Soulbound which I enjoyed immensely. It's a creative show where the theme is sorta like Micheal Jackson's Thriller combined with New Orleans bayou atmosphere where they perform R & B hit songs. I thought the singers were excellent! Anyway the lady next to me hadn't seen the show and I said it was very good and she would enjoy it. Well as the saying goes, Different strokes for different folks - she left 5 minutes into the show!

I DO enjoy Carnival's complementary alternative eateries; Guy's Burgers are so yummy; the Pizzas are hand tossed made to order; Mongolian Wok Stir fry is fresh and tasty; Blue Iguana Cantina makes good burritos. 

The main dining room food is adequate. If there ever was an indication that Carnival caters towards an unsophisticated clientele it would be the Rare Find appetizer section where it highlights items you might not have ever tried which includes escargot!

I really find Carnival's main pool area ANNOYING since it's always,LOUD, crowded, and just crazy. I will seek the Serenity area  for some peaceful sunbathing but that area gets packed often.

While the Carnival practice of finding the pool deck covered one morning with towel animals is cute, that's ONE tradition you'll NEVER,EVER see on Celebrity!

I hate, hate the waiter show in the main dining room and since we usually sign up for Your Time Dining we seem to always arrive RIGHT before the show starts, which means a long delay in ordering and receiving our food. 

Edited by kwokpot

Well OP -- I can tell you one other thing that you won't encounter on X. You won't hear a constant litany of upcoming activities, blaring from PA system. The Captain usually has a few remarks, around noon-time. Sometimes, the CD gets a quick minute after that -- but, that's it! So, pay attention to your daily planner, each evening -- and plan accordingly. :classic_cool:

4 minutes ago, wwcruisers said:

The Captain usually has a few remarks, around noon-time. Sometimes, the CD gets a quick minute after that -- but, that's it

10am on our Silhouette cruise to the Baltic in June 2018.

This sounds like a line I would enjoy. I'm 38, single and no kids. There's nothing wrong with Carnival, but I do tend to be in the more quiet and secluded areas like the Serenity deck and sometimes the library. The sail-a-way party is ok, but truly I'm burned out on the Cha Cha Slide and the Wobble. I do love Guy's burgers and the energy the Fun Squad has. I've gone with Carnival because that's what my family cruises and like I said, I don't mind a party, but quiet relaxation sounds great too. On the Carnival Journey's cruises they have seminars, but I didn't attend one when we went. It would depend on the topics. The MDR dancing is a little annoying to me. I would be ok with it if it didn't hold up my meal, but since it does, I can do without it. I do enjoy the comedy shows and sometimes the dive in movie depending on what they're showing. Think I'll give it a go! As long as there is ample food, beverage and the electricity continues to work, how bad could a cruise be? Thanks everyone for your answers. I'm still welcoming additional input :classic_smile:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wwcruisers said:

Well OP -- I can tell you one other thing that you won't encounter on X. You won't hear a constant litany of upcoming activities, blaring from PA system. The Captain usually has a few remarks, around noon-time. Sometimes, the CD gets a quick minute after that -- but, that's it! So, pay attention to your daily planner, each evening -- and plan accordingly. :classic_cool:

Good point.

On 1/29/2019 at 11:35 AM, NotTooCritical said:

We have sailed only Solstice class ships and find their indoor Solarium pools the most relaxing of any at sea (we've sailed 7 cruise lines).  As for the activities, there are quite a few, but you don't have rock climbing walls, water slides, mini golf and many of the 'fun activities' of so many other cruise lines.  The activities are more adult oriented, though the Officers vs. Guests pool volleyball is one of my favorite games to watch on any cruise.  

The original shows in the Celebrity Theater are frankly among the worst at sea.  They really make us feel bad for the performers because it's not their fault.  They're given absolutely terrible material to work with.  So we avoid those shows, but partake in the bands and dancing in the other spots at night.  The World Class Bar on the Solstice class are the best bars I've come across at sea.  We're on the Equinox in September which will have been "revolutionized" when we sail adding some new features.