Drinks packages coming to P&O

davecttr

Thanks for posting the link. Interesting that loyalty discounts will apply to it.

“ Loyalty discounts will be applied when purchasing a drinks package”

For us it would still be far more than we would ever drink / spend on alcohol but will be appreciated by some pax. I just hope the passengers who purchase this don’t over do it. There is no mention of a daily limit (which there was during the trial) in the article but this may still be in the small print.

It will also be useful to now directly compare prices with other lines who offer AI.

so for my up and coming 21 night cruise that is £1677.90 for the two of us.. A damn big additional cost to the cruise and only 20% discount for a bottle of wine that we would ordinarily have with our evening meal. 

Think somebody is being a bit too greedy so I will pass on this "wonderful" offer. although it is less expensive than Cunard !!!!

Crikey, I've just re-read the package and it doesn't include bottled wines!!  so that definitely rules us out.  One large glass of wine before dinner and wine with dinner.  So for that package, I'm only spending £5.95 per day!!  Husband has one whisky, even cheaper.

Edited by jeanlyon
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, piatro said:

sound expensive but watch out for P&O increasing the drink prices for those not on a package.

It may be cynical but I am sure that people will keep an eye on that, as prices are competitive / acceptable at present.

There is lots of information here on CC about current bar prices so it will be easy to spot if it changes significantly above inflation. 

It could be worse, they could have added it to the price of the holiday then we would all have to pay, even those who are moderate drinkers. At present this just increases choices for those who want to use it, which is fine.

33 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

It may be cynical but I am sure that people will keep an eye on that, as prices are competitive / acceptable at present.

There is lots of information here on CC about current bar prices so it will be easy to spot if it changes significantly above inflation. 

It could be worse, they could have added it to the price of the holiday then we would all have to pay, even those who are moderate drinkers. At present this just increases choices for those who want to use it, which is fine.

Just wait until they do the Royal Caribbean trick of offering a special offer of including drink package in the cruise price.

It just so happens the cruise price goes up massively the day before the ‘offer’ is announced, so in effect everyone IS paying for a drink package.

Sneaky ........

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Crikey, I've just re-read the package and it doesn't include bottled wines!!  so that definitely rules us out.  One large glass of wine before dinner and wine with dinner.  So for that package, I'm only spending £5.95 per day!!  Husband has one whisky, even cheaper.

Dont know of any drinks package on a cruise that includes bottles of wine.

17 minutes ago, Dwalkerdave said:

Just wait until they do the Royal Caribbean trick of offering a special offer of including drink package in the cruise price.

It just so happens the cruise price goes up massively the day before the ‘offer’ is announced, so in effect everyone IS paying for a drink package.

Sneaky ........

But they convince themselves that its "free" :classic_biggrin:

We use RC as well as P & O - you've got to do the calculation of pre 'offer' cruise price + an honest view of what you might spend on drinks and compare against the drinks included 'offer' price. At RC drinks prices the break even is surprisingly low! A benefit of RC's drink package is that it covers drinks up to $14 and you only pay the extra on anything over that. 

So, for us, the RC package even with the cruise price increase works but the P & O one wouldn't

52 minutes ago, petenlynn said:

We use RC as well as P & O - you've got to do the calculation of pre 'offer' cruise price + an honest view of what you might spend on drinks and compare against the drinks included 'offer' price. At RC drinks prices the break even is surprisingly low! A benefit of RC's drink package is that it covers drinks up to $14 and you only pay the extra on anything over that. 

So, for us, the RC package even with the cruise price increase works but the P & O one wouldn't

It perhaps only works because without a drinks package on RCCL their drinks are very expensive compared to P&O we will wait and see if P&O increase their drinks prices more than usual to make drinks package more attractive and to see if they give "free" packages on cruises.

12 minutes ago, Sarah1974 said:

Does anyone have a current list of drinks prices?  I'm sailing on Britannia in June and would like to know roughly how much a glass of wine, G & T etc would cost

Thanks,

Sarah

If you put into the search “ a record of onboard prices” there is a whole thread with bar menus on it.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

It perhaps only works because without a drinks package on RCCL their drinks are very expensive compared to P&O we will wait and see if P&O increase their drinks prices more than usual to make drinks package more attractive and to see if they give "free" packages on cruises.

I'm sure you're right about the comparative drinks prices. We're on Azura in April and we know that we won't spend the value of the drinks package and that's including drinks that are more than £6.95 and bottles of wine.

5 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Thanks for posting the link. Interesting that loyalty discounts will apply to it.

“ Loyalty discounts will be applied when purchasing a drinks package”

For us it would still be far more than we would ever drink / spend on alcohol but will be appreciated by some pax. I just hope the passengers who purchase this don’t over do it. There is no mention of a daily limit (which there was during the trial) in the article but this may still be in the small print.

It will also be useful to now directly compare prices with other lines who offer AI.

The terms & conditions page states a limit of 15 Alcoholic drinks per day.  Blimey, anyone who can get up to that must have the constitution of an Ox or a Liver that is about to fail 😮.  I could never justify spending £560 on drink in 2 weeks!

• Thanks 1

I'm so glad this thread has come back on line. I had thought that after the initial trip they would have re-evaluated the costs to be more realistic. unless you're a heavy drinker and not getting off at the ports I can't see how it's attractive. We calculated that if we really pushed it on a sea day with the hot sun we could possibly get thru £40 for the 2 of us; but never £40 each, and not each day! 
if people don't buy the package they'll have to reduce the cost or drop it. If you need help budgeting how much you'll spend I suggest putting the £560 per week per couple in your safe and putting what you need towards your final bill. I bet most will have money left over at the end.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dwalkerdave said:

Sneaky ........

Princess do the same.

Just had our e-mail about our cruise on Azura in April. We have had a look through some past receipts from past cruises (hubby is so efficient and keeps them) and, though we both enjoy a drink, there is NO way that we would spend £280 a week each on drinks.

Know that other cruise lines do the same and their prices are silly money as well.

Will stick to 'pay as you go' prices  and our 2 litres of spirits in the cabin

28 night cruise looming.....£2237.20 for the package for the two of us......3-4 beers on a sea day for me, 2 glasses of wine for my wife, maybe a coffee each and a soft drink or two..........an overnight in Bermuda when we plan to be off the ship all day and eat ashore in the evening = no drinks onboard that day.

Let me think if it's worth it.......