Drinks packages coming to P&O

davecttr

4 minutes ago, dazlight said:

I’m sharing a room with my daughter and my wife is with my other daughter. 

So can I buy one drinks package for me and my daughter would get free soft drinks. 

Good question.

Not sure anyone can help as it has not stated yet. Perhaps this needs to go to P&O to get the correct answer, rather than speculation.

31 minutes ago, dazlight said:

Also at dinner can I order a glass of wine then another when I’ve drank it or do I have to get a bottle of wine and get 20% off. 

You can officially order more than one glass as long as there is 15 minutes between each glass problem is availability of the wine waiter to take repeat orders.

• Thanks 1

Okay there seems to be a lot of speculation about wine by the glass, well let me point out a few details, but only for red wines as that is what we drink. If you want a 250 ml glass of wine with your dinner (red that is) the only wine under the £6.95 limit is the house red. Now to be fair that's not a bad wine. But anything else moves up to £7 plus change and so is beyond the scope of the plan. This is not based on hearsay or conjecture but on our drinking the wines for the last 28 day cruise on Ventura. The wine selection is not especially limited and most of the reds are quite good.

Take or leave it folks, it's the truth.

Peter and Jenny

10 hours ago, Zombatar said:

Okay there seems to be a lot of speculation about wine by the glass, well let me point out a few details, but only for red wines as that is what we drink. If you want a 250 ml glass of wine with your dinner (red that is) the only wine under the £6.95 limit is the house red. Now to be fair that's not a bad wine. But anything else moves up to £7 plus change and so is beyond the scope of the plan. This is not based on hearsay or conjecture but on our drinking the wines for the last 28 day cruise on Ventura. The wine selection is not especially limited and most of the reds are quite good.

Peter and Jenny

But presumably the smaller glass will be under £6.95, and you can have it topped up as many times as you like, so what is your problem?

11 hours ago, Zombatar said:

Peter and Jenny

hmmmmm

1. you can't order 250ml glass sizes under the plan only 175ml.  250ml counts as two drinks and is not allowed.

2. unless prices have risen there were quite a few 175ml wines available on the list under £6.95 in November 2018.

175ml.jpg

wineOct18.jpg

7 minutes ago, arthur sixpence said:

hmmmmm

1. you can't order 250ml glass sizes under the plan only 175ml.  250ml counts as two drinks and is not allowed.

2. unless prices have risen there were quite a few 175ml wines available on the list under £6.95 in November 2018.

175ml.jpg

wineOct18.jpg

Looks like many glasses of 250 size under £6.95.

I might be wrong, but I think that's a bar menu. Can you order all of those wines by the glass in the restaurant, as that's where the concerns with the AI package seem to be focused (in so far as wine is concerned)? If you can, then I would agree that it is less limiting than many of us had assumed, although it doesn't take away the fact that wine waiters can be difficult to get hold of a second time.

On Ventura this year they have reduced wine waiters to 2 per MDR and the food waiter takes your wine order, then the wine waiter delivers it and does still occasionally ask if you want a top up.  This was similar to our RCI experience in 2017 where the food waiters supply the drinks as well, and for those on a drinks package, or using their 3 happy hour loyalty free drinks it worked extremely well as they kept topping up where necessary.  I guess P&O waiters may take time to bed the new system down, but eventually it will become standard practice.

1 hour ago, miniyorkie said:

Going forward I think Jean has the right idea and on our March Azura  cruise, before the drinks package comes into force thankfully, I think I will ask for the wine bottle to be left on the table so that at least we can pour as required.

Red wine bottles will be left on the table, but generally white is kept in an ice bucket; however they do sometimes put them in have plastic cooler sleeves, but not always.

1 hour ago, darrencolne said:

Something i didnt realize is that its 15 alcoholic drinks per day. Plus unlimited soft drinks coffee and water. This makes it better valuefor us now.

I'd struggle to get through half of that but know some who would complain the allowance is not enough.

Doesn’t mean you have to drink 15 does it. 

The cruise I’m on there is only 4 sea days so won’t be worth it as will be getting off the ship every port. 

I might have a beer and a few wines with dinner then maybe 4-5 pints in the bar afterwards. A sea day a might have a couple in the afternoon and some soft drinks but over 2 weeks can’t seeing it being value.  

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 8:22 PM, dazlight said:

Also at dinner can I order a glass of wine then another when I’ve drank it or do I have to get a bottle of wine and get 20% off. 

Not sure how P&O will do it, we were on Marella AI recently and wine at dinner was just poured as and when by the waiter. Sometimes our card was taken, sometimes not. I guess it is easier when the whole ship is AI. 

• 2 weeks later...

We are trying to work out the value of the drinks package and im currently thinking that as we are travelling with 2 children 10/13, and they will get unlimited soft drinks/hot chocolate as well as our soft/alcoholic drinks then it will be worth it, taking soft drinks at approx £2 a time and average of £5 per alcoholic drink. Package is £80 per day, adults will probably have 5 alcoholic drinks each per day (£50), couple of coffees & soft drinks each, (£20) and guaranteed kids will have at least 5 soft drinks each per day so i think it will be worth it overall.

6 minutes ago, cjthedjeu said:

We are trying to work out the value of the drinks package and im currently thinking that as we are travelling with 2 children 10/13, and they will get unlimited soft drinks/hot chocolate as well as our soft/alcoholic drinks then it will be worth it, taking soft drinks at approx £2 a time and average of £5 per alcoholic drink. Package is £80 per day, adults will probably have 5 alcoholic drinks each per day (£50), couple of coffees & soft drinks each, (£20) and guaranteed kids will have at least 5 soft drinks each per day so i think it will be worth it overall.

Been having a similar problem ourselves working out whether it will be worth it, having only one child makes me think we'd struggle to even get our monies worth at £80 a day for the three of us.

• 1 month later...

We are off on Oriana later this month although the drinks package doesn't look like it's being offered given Oriana is leaving the fleet soon.

For once i'll keep a tally of what we spend solely on drinks - even though we like a drink at home or on holiday I can't see us getting through £80 a day every day.

Back in 2017 we did a 50 nighter on Oriana and at £80 a day our final bill would have had to be 4K or more to make it worth it . It was big but not that big even with her indoors having some spa treatments etc! 

We both love a drink the final bill came in at 612 for 2 weeks Caribbean TA to Sampton. we had a trip on that at 97 for the 2 of us in Ponta Delegada the gratuities are not included in the 612 this is 36.78 for 2 of us we did get through 2L of gin in the cabin though drinking with large draft mixers as a night cap for which we purchased the soft drink package and this was included in the 612.

AI is not for us with P & O if it came down to 25.00 per night we would purchase and experiment a little with drinks unfortunately we do have to watch the pennies to be able to afford our holidays

Susan  

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2019 at 4:32 PM, Eglesbrech said:

So has anyone tried the drinks packages as yet? They started  last week on some ships. What did you think about it?

We took the package on Britannia 7th April. We changed our regular habits in order to maximise the daily spend and did drink a bit more than usual - however it also meant we could try more adventurous wines/cocktails that we wouldn’t have ordinarily. I think we’d think carefully before buying again on P&O given the low cost of drinks and maybe weigh up the itinerary and length of cruise too but in summary we consumed approx £200 more in drinks than the package actually cost. 

Fire away if you have questions