Drinks packages coming to P&O

davecttr

12 minutes ago, Caravan 37 said:

We took the package on Britannia 7th April. We changed our regular habits in order to maximise the daily spend and did drink a bit more than usual - however it also meant we could try more adventurous wines/cocktails that we wouldn’t have ordinarily. I think we’d think carefully before buying again on P&O given the low cost of drinks and maybe weigh up the itinerary and length of cruise too but in summary we consumed approx £200 more in drinks than the package actually cost. 

Fire away if you have questions 

For you it worked out then which is great. As you say it might depend on the itinerary, how many port / sea days.

I take it the service was fine, no sign of package people being ignored to serve “paying” guests (something which Fred Olsen has been accused of by some pax).

3 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

For you it worked out then which is great. As you say it might depend on the itinerary, how many port / sea days.

I take it the service was fine, no sign of package people being ignored to serve “paying” guests (something which Fred Olsen has been accused of by some pax).

No issue at all - even managed ok in MDR but as this was a dreary affair we didn’t eat here much at all over 13 nights

Well I tried the Ultimate Drinks Package in the end on Britannia (got off last weekend). I thought it was good value on the whole and would certainly consider buying it again.

Paradoxically it made me drink more non alcoholic drinks like Costa Coffees, Teapigs herbal teas and freshly squeezed fruit juices, because I think these are expensive for what they are, but when they're included...

Didn't count, don't think I got anywhere near 15 alcoholic drinks a day, but did try some new cocktails and martinis near the upper limit which I might have hesitated over because they're expensive and I might not like them.

A couple of problems which may just have been teething problems. Wines at dinner by the standard glass included a few that I bought in the past by choice, and really like, which was good. Ordering a second glass could be hit and miss especially in the MDR. In the end I'd order one and tell the waiter that I'd like another "later in the meal, before my main course". Knowing that commission is by the drink, this virtually guaranteed the service! But they DO need a few more wine waiters now. I said so on my feedback.

The other problem was more personal to me; I always like a double brandy on my balcony last thing at night and could only get a single. No problem; next time I'll take a bottle of my favourite onboard at Southampton and top up the measure! There was zero prices receipt paper flying around everywhere; surely they can go paperless? But yes, on the whole it worked for me!

1 hour ago, Clodia said:

Well I tried the Ultimate Drinks Package in the end on Britannia (got off last weekend). I thought it was good value on the whole and would certainly consider buying it again.

Paradoxically it made me drink more non alcoholic drinks like Costa Coffees, Teapigs herbal teas and freshly squeezed fruit juices, because I think these are expensive for what they are, but when they're included...

Didn't count, don't think I got anywhere near 15 alcoholic drinks a day, but did try some new cocktails and martinis near the upper limit which I might have hesitated over because they're expensive and I might not like them.

A couple of problems which may just have been teething problems. Wines at dinner by the standard glass included a few that I bought in the past by choice, and really like, which was good. Ordering a second glass could be hit and miss especially in the MDR. In the end I'd order one and tell the waiter that I'd like another "later in the meal, before my main course". Knowing that commission is by the drink, this virtually guaranteed the service! But they DO need a few more wine waiters now. I said so on my feedback.

The other problem was more personal to me; I always like a double brandy on my balcony last thing at night and could only get a single. No problem; next time I'll take a bottle of my favourite onboard at Southampton and top up the measure! There was zero prices receipt paper flying around everywhere; surely they can go paperless? But yes, on the whole it worked for me!

I found the ‘fruity’ cocktails a disappointment; for example a mango margarita with no mango juice 🤷🏻‍♀️ I instead stuck to aperol spritz and Gordon’s pink gin spritz during the day - both very nice and at the top end of the price bracket. In the evening I drank copious amounts of the Peller Rose in the Glasshouse which was delicious but I wouldn’t have done so without the package as it’s £6.95 for 125ml. Overall we stayed mostly in the Glasshouse for drinks as their choice of wines was greater and we ate here at least 5/6 times too - amazing because we couldn’t get a table on Azura. We enjoyed Sindhu and Beach House too. 

1 hour ago, Caravan 37 said:

Food/ambiance/service

Sorry to hear that.

Out of interest did you Dine Freedom or Club.

Although obviously you would expect "Food/ambiance/service" to be equally good in both MDR's

3 hours ago, P-L-B said:

Sorry to hear that.

Out of interest did you Dine Freedom or Club.

Although obviously you would expect "Food/ambiance/service" to be equally good in both MDR's

Freedom - we wanted to dine alone after a group travelled together on Azura in Dec. No trouble getting a table just found the dining room very bland (ditto food)

We just got back this morning from Britannia (2 couples) and we had the package. Overall we are pretty certain we saved money doing it that way. The double thing or large wine is a bit frustrating as it comes under £6.95 so we had to order a single and then almost immediately order a shot to go with it. They did not enforce the 15 minute rule or the 15 drink so it worked but can't help feel it adds to the waiter's work more than necessary 

Just got off Azura and did not go for the package. Have to say, it looked very popular with lots signing up.

We kept a track of our spending on drinks and came away happy as we worked out that we were spending an average of £40 per day per couple on drinks. We tend to like a pina colada, then a cocktail pre meal, a bottle of wine between us (and bottled water). Even on our last night when we had an extra drink after the meal and a coffee in the day we still did not spend the £80 we would have paid.

I'm dismayed to learn that the coffee card will no longer be available. The only alternative is the non alcoholic package which allows unlimited tea, coffee, and soft drinks. But this costs £19.95 per person per day, and cannot be shared between couples, each must have their own package. To add insult to injury, it cannot be bought as and when you want it, but must be bought for the WHOLE cruise. So for 14 nights it will cost a couple around £500 if my maths is correct. That is absurd, and I guess it's one the ways that P&O are trying to make up for the loss of the "voluntary gratuity" payments. To me, it stinks.

11 hours ago, dorsetlad said:

I'm dismayed to learn that the coffee card will no longer be available. The only alternative is the non alcoholic package which allows unlimited tea, coffee, and soft drinks. But this costs £19.95 per person per day, and cannot be shared between couples, each must have their own package. To add insult to injury, it cannot be bought as and when you want it, but must be bought for the WHOLE cruise. So for 14 nights it will cost a couple around £500 if my maths is correct. That is absurd, and I guess it's one the ways that P&O are trying to make up for the loss of the "voluntary gratuity" payments. To me, it stinks.

You can still just buy your coffee as and when you want it. Was the coffee package unlimited? 

Andy

11 hours ago, dorsetlad said:

I'm dismayed to learn that the coffee card will no longer be available 

It was available last week on Aurora. £22 for 10 coffees. £2.55 for an individual coffee so a saving of £3.50.

Brian

• Like 1

I never saw the Costa card as much of a saving. If it saved you £10 then maybe, but £3.50 is a bit underwhelming. That being said, a saving is a saving after all.

I certainly won't be buy a non-alcoholic package. Can't see it working in my favour. As dorsetlad mentioned above, it works out at £500 pp. There's no way I can get through that amount of caffine. I won't sleep for a fortnight after!

Edited by Monorail Orange

Perhaps I have got it wrong, but P&O's website stated that the alcoholic and non alcoholic packages were the only ones available, and assumed  the coffee cards had been stopped. If they are still available, then I apologise to P&O for jumping the gun. We are not cruising again until July, when we sail for Iceland, so will find out then.

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 8:51 PM, majortom10 said:

Think it would be popular with couples who have 2 children because of children getting free package and therefore £80 a day for 4 would be cost practical.

Have thought about this one and please don't flame me, but as a couple who do not travel with children we have to go in the school holidays and we often wonder what we get as a perk. If families are getting free packages for children then someone is paying for it. Sorry, if I seem mean, but I never see perks for adults only. Why are we paying the same for 2 adults for a package that say a family of 2 adults and 2 / 3 children are paying?

Am not a moaner normally but it just made me think ……..

Light the blue touch paper and stand back ...

13 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Have thought about this one and please don't flame me, but as a couple who do not travel with children we have to go in the school holidays and we often wonder what we get as a perk. If families are getting free packages for children then someone is paying for it. Sorry, if I seem mean, but I never see perks for adults only. Why are we paying the same for 2 adults for a package that say a family of 2 adults and 2 / 3 children are paying?

I agree, it seems a fair enough point to me.

Then again our children have grown up now so I am probably biased.:classic_smile:

I agree the package is not good for couples without children. It suits families because the childrens' drinks are included, and I found it OK for a solo traveller, but it isn't so good value for couples especially if one of them doesn't drink alcohol or drinks very little.

12 hours ago, Presto2 said:

I agree 100% we also travel as a couple with no children and for that reason,also not being big drinkers, would not buy the drinks package as for us it is not value for money. But I can understand a couple with 2 children taking it out for the reason previously stated.

• Like 1

We are travelling as family with 2 adults and 2 children but having spent ages trying to work out potential costs still do not think it will be worthwhile for us to spend £1200 on drinks package as I am fairly certain we will not drink anywhere near that amount especially with planning to be off ship on all port days and not being massive drinkers at the best of times let alone when travelling with kids, so its honestly not that attractive to families either.

• Like 1

I've had one experience of a drinks package, and it was positive.

We took the drinks package on our Fred Olsen cruise, at the very low price of £10pppn.  The drinks that it covered were quite limited, but there were some nice wines, branded beers, 'house' spirits, and soft drinks and mixers.  Costa type coffee and cocktails were not included.  But at the low price it was good value and we've booked the drinks package on our next Fred cruise, next year, but at £15pppn.

On Sunday we are going on a CMV cruise, and have booked the CMV Premium package at £23pppn.  This includes £6 gratuities, so the drinks part is £17.  It includes soft drinks and all alcoholic beverages, including cocktails,  apart from Premium Drinks.  For example Gordons gin is included, by Bombay Sapphire isn't. But you can buy any premium drinks at 50% off. Select dining is  25% off.   Unfortunately coffee is not included in the package, but I have seen a suggestion that it's 50% off. However, overall, it seems like a good deal.

I'd like to have the drinks package on P & O, as it's nice to feel that everything is paid for...... but at £80 a day for the two of us?  We'd never be able to drink enough to make it anywhere near value for money.

16 hours ago, Presto2 said:

I agree with you entirely and made the same point when the news about the packages came out at first.

Nothing is for nothing so the “free” packages are being paid for somehow. 

Im sure there are a lot of adult couples with one drinker and one t - totaler who would love to pay for one package and get a soft drinks one for free.

• Like 2