Past Passenger rates are higher not lower

Loreni

Yes, the difference is still there today.  Prices are higher when I login.  Taking an inside as an example: For the Tahiti cruise, the first and second passenger rates are lower, but the third and fourth passenger are much higher.

For the Alaska cruises, while the third and fourth person rate is the same, the first and second are much higher...25% higher.

maybe it is a Platinum penalty, since some past passengers are not seeing the rates I’m seeing.  Or maybe it is regional. Could it be even more specific?  Might certain passengers be individually targeted for higher rates?  

I  thought we were welcome passengers.  We buy spa services and shore excursions.  We buy from the shops onboard. We leave the auto tip on and tip above this level as well.  We rarely drink alcohol and we don’t gamble.  Still I think our onboard spending is reasonable, but maybe Princess does not agree.

It seems almost as if Princess would prefer that we not book either of these cruises.  And maybe we won’t.  They will fill the ships anyway.  Truthfully, I have thought for a while we are in a bit of a rut when it comes to travel.  It is always difficult to decide whether to repeat an enjoyable experience or to try something new.  We were talking recently about certain types of vacations that we might not be able to take when we get older...maybe this is a sign that we should be prioritizing these vacations now and letting Alaska cruises wait.

Still...Why would Princess send me emails showing one rate and then when I login I get a higher rate?  I wonder if they would honor the rate they emailed me.  I don’t really feel like calling to find out.  I feel kind of ambivalent about sailing with Princess now.  I prefer to feel happy when I book a vacation.  I am not angry.  I am disappointed.  And my gut is telling me to try something new.

11 minutes ago, rdsqrl said:

Yeah, how dare some people express empathy and concern over treatment of the staff.  Let them all eat cake!

Obviously you do not know how tipping for Australians works which is what some of us were discussing.

Edited by frugaltravel

I'm getting accustomed to having the tips included. It's made it really easy in SF last several months. I'm the person who always used to just double tax. But sometimes that wasn't to the worker's benefit and sometimes I did not get it from the other people I was eating with.  Looking forward to my trip down under where it will just be the way it is.

As to my not seeing a price increase when I log in under my captain circle number, I'm in California & elite. Could that be the difference? I did look again and it is lower if I log in to my princess captain circle number. I am totally confused

Edited by Gayl4b

On 2/2/2019 at 6:08 AM, PekingeseLady said:

My next cruise 4/23/2019 Ruby Princess. It is 999 for a inside then when I log in its 1249 with benefits that make it the same price.  I check daily for a price decrease, I picked it up a month ago for 899.

This one came up $999 when I wasn't logged in and $699 after I logged in so I am seeing a discount, at least for that category.  Mini suite stayed at $2,599 whether I was signed in or not.

1 hour ago, azbirdmom said:

This one came up $999 when I wasn't logged in and $699 after I logged in so I am seeing a discount, at least for that category.  Mini suite stayed at $2,599 whether I was signed in or not.

Just for your information  I am here is Australia  and am platinum , just log onto princess cruises ( same price whether logged in or not )  for that cruise on the Ruby April 23

and here are the prices in Aus Dollars   so the interior is $1670 US and mini suite $3362 US so a bit of a differance

Dates Interior Oceanview Balcony Mini-Suite Suite
sale-corner.png
Tue, Apr 23, 2019
Ruby Princess
$2,309.00*
$3,659.00*
$3,759.00*
$4,649.00*
$6,169.00*
Guests 3 & 4 - same stateroom
$1,329.00*
$1,329.00*
$1,529.00*
$1,529.00*
$2,367.00*
Special Offers Available View Offers View Offers View Offers View Offers View Offers

Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses included: $311.10*

Special Offers Available Onboard Credit : Guests 1 & 2

Interior $50.00 USD
Oceanview $50.00 USD
Balcony $100.00 USD
Mini-Suite $100.00 USD
Suite $100.00 USD
plus

1 BOTTLE OF WINE - $50 USD VALUE ( 2 guests )

and

SPECIALTY RESTAURANT COVER CHARGE ( 2 guests )

I know that princess change prices for different regions  and Uk and Australia are different to the US

I really don't get too worried about it, as long as we can go for a cruise and the next one is in three weeks.

Cheers Don

10 hours ago, thinfool said:

No, Australian fares include the gratuities that US customers are used to seeing as an addon.

Australians on Australia cruises do not get charged extra for gratuities. Non-Australians will have the "optional" gratuity charges unless it is included as a booking perk. Australians cruising on non-Australia cruises will also have the "optional" gratuity charges.

22 hours ago, thinfool said:

No, Australian fares include the gratuities that US customers are used to seeing as an addon.

Better to say on Australian sailings.....auto grats are not added for those Aussies/Kiwis  who book thru Princess Australia. I recently cruised(Sept/Oct 2018) on Sea princess a 28 day & 10 day pricing was similar for Princess AU and North American bookings....

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

Weird. I just checked that cruise and it shows the exact same price for each category whether I'm logged in or not.

Just checked.   You're also a Californian, so I'm wondering if it's based on whether solo or not so low? Not complaining as I am a solo person (not a full supplement)

Edited by Gayl4b

21 hours ago, Loreni said:

Yes, the difference is still there today.  Prices are higher when I login.  Taking an inside as an example: For the Tahiti cruise, the first and second passenger rates are lower, but the third and fourth passenger are much higher.

For the Alaska cruises, while the third and fourth person rate is the same, the first and second are much higher...25% higher.

maybe it is a Platinum penalty, since some past passengers are not seeing the rates I’m seeing.  Or maybe it is regional. Could it be even more specific?  Might certain passengers be individually targeted for higher rates?  

I  thought we were welcome passengers.  We buy spa services and shore excursions.  We buy from the shops onboard. We leave the auto tip on and tip above this level as well.  We rarely drink alcohol and we don’t gamble.  Still I think our onboard spending is reasonable, but maybe Princess does not agree.

It seems almost as if Princess would prefer that we not book either of these cruises.  And maybe we won’t.  They will fill the ships anyway.  Truthfully, I have thought for a while we are in a bit of a rut when it comes to travel.  It is always difficult to decide whether to repeat an enjoyable experience or to try something new.  We were talking recently about certain types of vacations that we might not be able to take when we get older...maybe this is a sign that we should be prioritizing these vacations now and letting Alaska cruises wait.

Still...Why would Princess send me emails showing one rate and then when I login I get a higher rate?  I wonder if they would honor the rate they emailed me.  I don’t really feel like calling to find out.  I feel kind of ambivalent about sailing with Princess now.  I prefer to feel happy when I book a vacation.  I am not angry.  I am disappointed.  And my gut is telling me to try something new.

As I stated previously I checked and I saw no difference.

Are you US based? I am looking at the US website.  

Since your situation has lead to a bad feeling concerning Princess, I was hoping to understand what you are seeing.  I really do not think Princess is purposing penalizing you. Perhaps there is some kind of default condition that is set when you sign in.

Edited by jagoffee

We decided to look at this specific cruise on the web site of one of our favored cruise agencies (who always offers better deals on Princess then their own web site).  Without doing any kind of logon or using our Captains Circle number we got the $999 price (not including the usual port fees) with a $100 (per cabin) On Board Credit.  Using our logon and Captains Circle number it priced the same inside cabin at $929 without any OBC (we would still be able to get both our stockholder and veterans OBCs).

When we logged into the Princess web site with our signon (we are Elite) we got the same $999 without the OBC.  But I am wondering if the OP is confused because that $999 DOES NOT include the additional $220 in taxes, fees and port expenses added to every booking.

Hank

We're booked on the Star Princess, Apr. 27 Alaska cruise.

Without logging in, the price is $250 less per person.  There were no extras.

After logging in, the price went up $250, but we also got $250pp OBC, free specialty restaurant, and free gratuities.  So we still came out ahead.

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 6:10 PM, PescadoAmarillo said:

No, unfortunately you can’t. This is the seldom mentioned “Elite Penalty”, or, in this case, it might be the “Platinum Penalty” or some other loyalty level penalty. It’s sneaky. 

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 4:23 PM, PekingeseLady said:

I only book direct.

"Booking Direct" almost always guarantees that you will pay a HIGHER price. There are numerous online agencies that offer lower prices and added perks.

The cruise mentioned here is listed right now for $869pp inside $912pp ocean view.

Edited by teecee60

Being curious to the OP claim I checked one of  our upcoming summer cruises.  I first checked the price without logging in so they did not know who I was.  The price quoted for this 14 day cruise was $7708 for the two of us.  I then logged in and checked the price again.  The quoted price for the same cabin was $7458 for a $250 discount as a returning pax.  

I do check prices frequently to see if they are offering the same cabin for a lesser price.  Taking into account any perks we received with the initial offer versus the current offer, I call Princess to change the booking if it is a better deal.  They have always agreed to change the booking and price.  

Edited by satxdiver

I (mostly) gave up checking for better prices. I tend to book well in advance and then, whenever I check back, I find the cost has gone up significantly. The various promos almost always end up where it would cost me a very large amount more even after factoring in the "freebies" they throw in.