Is it really worth it to have a Suite?

HoneymoonCruiser5

Yes and no.  We love sailing in suites, and the breakfast in Sabatini's is the best perk IMHO. We opt for them on cruises where there are a lot of sea days, longer than 10 days, and opt out on port intensive cruises because if we are not spending a fair bit of time enjoying the suite, and cannot linger over breakfast, the equation changes. We do regular balconies or suites, and at first, I didn't think I would be able to enjoy a regular balcony again. I was wrong. We adapt. 

Just as the tone of the cruise changes depending upon length, destination and time of year, so the tone of a cruise changes based on being a suite or not. Frankly, I would hesitate to book a suite on a 7 day Alaska sailing, because there are more shore days and I would want to be ashore there. I might book one on a 7 day Caribbean sailing if we were not planning on going ashore at most of the ports......but usually not. Would most definitely book a suite for a long crossing, say 30 days from Sydney to Vancouver (looking forward to that one, we will welcome the added space) and we usually book a suite for a r/t Hawaii from the west coast. However, we are just as content in a balcony, depending upon the ship and our mood - i.e. complete relaxation, ignore the MDR most of the time, with lots of pool time. 

Honestly, for Alaska I would take a balcony and spend the $$$ on shore excursions that involve flights, glaciers and Dungeness crab or salmon feast. But that is my preference, YMMV. Whatever you decide, bon voyage. 

On the balance, I vote, No a suite is not "worth it". If you are going to cruise only a few times in your life then I might spring for a suite every cruise. We have purchased a suite once on Princess, twice on Royal and twice on Celebrity. If we were to purchase one again it would definitely be on Celebrity as we liked their experience better. I really don't understand the need for more space in my stateroom, as we don't hang out in the stateroom. 

If  you calculate the other amenities that you can purchase while on a cruise, you are much better off to book a balcony and purchase the other items you like. IMO     Of course, there are times when stateroom prices differ. 

• Like 1

Tonight is the 2nd formal night and we received a plate of 6 chocolates. They too were yummy.

I have gone to the thermal suite twice so far and it is nice.  Trying to go today for a bit as well.

We have sent in laundry 3 times so far.  Twice gave to our great room steward before 9:00 am and it all came back that night.  The other time we left it on bed at night when we left for dinner and come back next night.  So same day return or presto service on the form IS still available in a suite.

• Like 1

For me, an aft suite is worth it.  I am willing to pay for the extra space and quiet.  I especially enjoy the larger bathrooms and balconies.  My husband enjoys relaxing in the cabin and the extra space makes the experience much more comfortable.  There seems to be less foot traffic in the aft, so it seems quieter.  I like the fact that I can eat from an extended menu and not leave my cabin.  Also, I don't have to search for a nice lounge chair since there is already one on my balcony.  These things make a cruise much less stressful and more relaxing.

• Like 2

I would love to sail in a suite, but we still have 6 kids to get through university. When my youngest leaves home, he is ten now, I may have enough money. For now we are content to go once or twice a year in an inside cabin. We often get a great upsell offer and end up in a balcony, but for now sailing in a suite is something we may do in the future.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cheeseclan said:

Bemis12:   You can go to whichever one you choose to go to the first night.  I called the dine line and made the reservation as soon as I got on board.

There have been times when getting through to the DINE line on embarkation day has been impossible. When they answer, they've always been great. 

I've found two easy work arounds. 

1) if you have lunch in the MDR on embarkation day, ask the MD there to make a reservation for you

2) if #1 doesn't work (a couple of times for us the MD was nowhere to be found), just go to the venue you select sometime during the day when you are "exploring" and speak to someone there who will make a reservation for you.  

• Like 1

On 2/2/2019 at 11:46 AM, Tak8 said:

Add the new Sky Princess to the list.  They have 2 large WS forward.  

I have a WS booked on the Enchanted.  According to the deck plan it is 710 sq ft.  Can't wait until the pictures are released.  My only concern is location but we're not prone to getting sea sick  

18 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Has anyone on this thread stayed in a Penthouse Suite Aft?  We have one booked in two weeks on CB. Thank for any input

C748 is our “go to” cabin on the CB. Our absolute favorite!

Nearly zero corridor traffic. Big balcony. GREAT views. Love the “wake show” all day long. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Ep010835 said:

Nearly zero corridor traffic. Big balcony. GREAT views. Love the “wake show” all day long. 

53 minutes ago, Ep010835 said:

We will be in C749

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 2:25 PM, LSGDRG said:

For me, an aft suite is worth it.  I am willing to pay for the extra space and quiet.  I especially enjoy the larger bathrooms and balconies.  My husband enjoys relaxing in the cabin and the extra space makes the experience much more comfortable.  There seems to be less foot traffic in the aft, so it seems quieter.  I like the fact that I can eat from an extended menu and not leave my cabin.  Also, I don't have to search for a nice lounge chair since there is already one on my balcony.  These things make a cruise much less stressful and more relaxing.

Agree with you completely. To each their own but if you have the $ and can swing it, it's totally worth it.

I have sailed in everything from insides to suites and have gone back to insides after suites with out a problem. I mostly have sailed in mini suites. 

In the Caribbean or Mexico, Suites can be affordable. It seems in these itineraries, I spend more time on the balcony or suite's balcony.

When you start to price out different locations such as Europe or South America - Suites are very expensive and less affordable to me. In these situations, I book cheaper cabins. If it is very port intensive, I am tempted to go with an inside if it means that I can spend more money on shore excursions. For example - last year I went to Norway and probably spent $1500 on shore excursion for 1 person. In that situation, I did book an inside and have no regrets. It was very port intensive cruise and I had an inside cabin on Lido deck which I could easily get outside.

I do have say the suite furniture is far more comfortable than other balcony furniture. That is the only thing I really miss!

54 minutes ago, Cruiserkenn said:

Thanks for mentioning the furniture.  Have tables and chairs been removed from suites?  Another thread says that coffe tables and accompanying chairs have been removed from regular rooms and balcony rooms.  Ugh.

I certainly hope not. With no furniture on the balcony it would be a mighty lonely and empty space. 

The penthouse balcony has two very comfortable loungers, a large round table and four chairs. 

This is one of the main reasons we book a suite.

Will be on the Grand this time next week and will advise if anything has changed. 

If you have to pay full price it is not really worth it - however if you get a good deal on an upsell  then jump on it.  We are already Elite so we already get laundry and mini bar.  We sail inside cabins for short cruise and book mini suites for longer ones ( the last  3 years we have gotten upsells and take suites.