Make your cruise better with proper planning.

misguy

It was quite funny, we watched several YouTube videos from various cruise experts, they listed the tape, the overdoor shoe hanger, and the extension cord.  Again everyone will have different opinions, my wife and I usually wind up in an inside room, and our choices make our lives better.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I found something else that went on my must-have list, an affordable action camera, our next trip is to Alaska, and the weather can be wet, and we will be doing several small boat excursions and I am taking my granddaughter halibut fishing, so I purchased this: 

• Like 1

I will never understand why some people have to be so judgmental about what other people choose to take on their cruise. If someone suggests something I don't think I need, I don't criticize them for suggesting it...I just don't pack it. 🙄

There are 3 of us in our cabin and we do always take an over-the-door storage hanger. And no, we don't overpack--we each have one carry-on bag and that's it for 7-day cruises with an extra day on either end (so a 9-day trip).

The clear pockets in the organizer hold tooth brushes, toothpaste, hair gel, makeup, deodorant, sunscreen, jewelry, cologne, brushes/combs, medications (in travel packets for each day), and all the other little stuff that I don't want cluttered all over the bathroom counter, especially with three of us trying to share a bathroom. We keep the storage hanger over the closet door, so if someone is in the bathroom the rest of us aren't stuck having to wait until that person gets out to get something we need.

For those who don't need/want to use one...okay. But why do you care if I do? 🤷‍♀️

Two other things I don't like to live without on a cruise are the little individual flavored coffee creamers (because cruise ship coffee is awful) and my 32oz. stainless steel Tervis Tumbler (which I use every single day at home, so no, I can't live without it on a cruise).

• Like 7

19 hours ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

I will never understand why some people have to be so judgmental about what other people choose to take on their cruise. If someone suggests something I don't think I need, I don't criticize them for suggesting it...I just don't pack it🙄

There are 3 of us in our cabin and we do always take an over-the-door storage hanger. And no, we don't overpack--we each have one carry-on bag and that's it for 7-day cruises with an extra day on either end (so a 9-day trip).

The clear pockets in the organizer hold tooth brushes, toothpaste, hair gel, makeup, deodorant, sunscreen, jewelry, cologne, brushes/combs, medications (in travel packets for each day), and all the other little stuff that I don't want cluttered all over the bathroom counter, especially with three of us trying to share a bathroom. We keep the storage hanger over the closet door, so if someone is in the bathroom the rest of us aren't stuck having to wait until that person gets out to get something we need.

For those who don't need/want to use one...okay. But why do you care if I do? 🤷‍♀️

Two other things I don't like to live without on a cruise are the little individual flavored coffee creamers (because cruise ship coffee is awful) and my 32oz. stainless steel Tervis Tumbler (which I use every single day at home, so no, I can't live without it on a cruise).

I hope I don't come across as judgmental in my posts but realize much can be lost in translation/written word only.  I sometimes feel attacked the other way since I don't bring the storage hanger and instead use provided drawers to keep things out of sight.  My perspective is for a fairly low maintenance couple though, while a family or group of friends - or just those who bring more items than I do - could easily benefit from the additional storage.

If someone suggests a prohibited item (iron, surge strip, etc) I will point out that it is a prohibited item.  If a post asks for ideas of what to pack while wanting to pack light I will mention what we do and try to gently suggest not needing some commonly suggested items.

We keep shaving items, dental care (brushes, paste, rinse), deodorant, q-tips, contacts/glasses, and conditioner in the bathroom.  I've never had issues neatly fitting the items on the shelves (I also don't like a cluttered counter 😉), and I'd need to wait for my husband to be done in the bathroom for me to use those items.  Everything else lives by the night stands, desk drawers, or closet shelf.

We all cruise differently, and I'm grateful there are options for all of us 🙂 

It's a short time to be away from home, and I don't need to bring my home and it's possessions with me when cruising.  I understand that lists of things to bring is a popular topic for many, but different strokes for different folk.

I have cruised up to 21 days with just a 21" piece of carry on luggage for clothes and a shoulder bag for essentials and valuables.  Yes, once in a while I miscount or forget to bring all the medications I need, even once had to call my GP from Fairbanks, Alaska for a week's supply of BP meds  but otherwise I haven't wished that I should have taken something I didn't bring.

My 1st cruise I took too much, then left a few items out the next cruise, and so on until I reached a Goldilocks comfort level between too much and not enough, just right.  Now it only takes me about 15 minutes to pack my bag the night before embarkation.

JMO, YMMV.

Edited by evandbob

23 hours ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

I will never understand why some people have to be so judgmental about what other people choose to take on their cruise. If someone suggests something I don't think I need, I don't criticize them for suggesting it...I just don't pack it. 🙄

But when a thread implies that if you haven’t taken one  then you haven’t planned, people are fully entitled to say it is a waste.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My goal in starting this thread was to encourage friendly conversation.  I have learned from this thread about things that I will change for my next cruise.  I know that I didn't know about anything when I took my first cruise.  Each of ours gets better planned, better organized.  I would encourage everyone to share the things they find useful.

• Like 2

On 3/10/2019 at 2:41 PM, SRQbeachgirl said:

I don't care what you bring ( as long as you don't fill your big gulp tumbler directly from the dispensers).

What I don't like is when posts talk about  "must haves" which in my opinion can be very misleading to someone new.   We don't bring this stuff, would find it more of a hassle, and  nothing is stored on our bathroom counter.   

• Like 1

sorry I'm late to this and don't have time to read through every post. how do you find an extension cord WITHOUT a  circuit breaker/surge protector?? all of mine have at least a circuit breaker.

as a first time cruiser, I didn't even think about bringing a light rain jacket..that is a good point. thanks for the tips!

On 2/3/2019 at 10:17 AM, misguy said:

We Things not to forget (some that we forgot)

Take a roll of duct tape to secure the extension cord, and also for miscellaneous other uses.  On the CC site, there is a great deal of discussion of the value of duct tape.  Another item that we take one or two of is the over the door shoe holder.  On this trip, we took two and used both of them.  They are invaluable for holding small items that you use often.  We also took a couple of small led tea lights, they are not bright, but in a dark (pitch black) cabin they make it easy to find your way to the bathroom without turning on a light.

I am particular about sweetener, so I took along some stevia.  We also took along a large cup each.  The cups onboard are usually very small.  Mine was a 32oz. coffee cup and I used it for coffee and iced tea.  My wife took a 24 oz. cup for tea and flavored water.  We would fill these on the buffet and then had what we wanted to drink around the ship.

Another thing to take is zip lock bags.  These come in very handy for taking food from the buffet to your room.  We used several each day.  They do not have plastic straws on the ship, so if you like plastic straws; take a reusable one with you.

One of the things we forgot was my sunglasses.  My wife packed two pairs, and I intended to take at least one pair, and then didn’t get any in our bags.  Another item that we missed was emergency rain ponchos.  You can get them fairly cheaply, and one day it started pouring about the time we were going to head out on an excursion.  We were fortunate in that there was a pharmacy in the port where we could purchase them, but they were more expensive than in the US.

I also forgot our selfie stick and realized that for much of what I was filming, I would need to use a directional or a lavalier microphone.

You should advise your bank and credit card companies that you will be traveling out of the country.  We failed to notify the card company that we used for the cruise, and that resulted in a freeze on our onboard account until I could take another card to the front desk.

One other mistake I made, was not putting an out of reach message on my phone and out of office on my email.  I did not answer my phone while onboard, and could only check my email without paying for it in Mexico, so that meant that for much of the cruise people that tried to contact me had no way to know why I didn’t reply.

Besides clothes, several other things can and will make your life easier on board.  To start with, we always take a medium length extension cord with the ability to plug in multiple devices.  I travel with a CPAP, and with chargers for phones, cameras, toothbrushes, shavers, etc., there is always a need for more plugs.  YOU CAN NOT TAKE EXTENSION CORDS WITH CIRCUIT BREAKERS.

Is that the same as surge protector? I know those are forbidden. I use battery-operated tea candles for night lights, bring real maple syrup, fold out fabric "drawers" from the Dollar Tree, and slipper socks for the cabin. One highlighter, Kindle, and individual packets of hand wash detergent for fine washables.

I'm preparing to go on my first cruise in July. From what I"m seeing some cruise lines allow extension cords and some don't. I have a CPAP machine but since I'll be solo not sure I'm going to take it but I want to make sure I have enough outlets for blow dryer, curling iron, phone charger, etc. I have a PowerJC converter purchased for my trip to the UK last year and it works as a power strip here at home when needed.  Is this allowed? I'm going on Carnival. Some of the ideas are great and I appreciate them. I've started my "to be packed" list. Not sure what I'd need gaffer's tape for but great idea for someone needing it
!!

On 3/13/2019 at 4:22 PM, resjes said:

sorry I'm late to this and don't have time to read through every post. how do you find an extension cord WITHOUT a  circuit breaker/surge protector?? all of mine have at least a circuit breaker.

as a first time cruiser, I didn't even think about bringing a light rain jacket..that is a good point. thanks for the tips!

Here in the UK i too am having this trouble all UK extensions seem to have surge protection built in.:classic_unsure:

Being from the UK a rain coat is a necessity and its habit to pack one just in case wherever we go in the world, probably still take one if i was having a week in the sahara desert lol. :classic_biggrin:

On 3/13/2019 at 11:22 AM, resjes said:

I take those cheap plastic ponchoson every trip.  They don’t add any weight to your bag and they are much cheaper than buying them at touristy places.  A bonus is that you don’t have to dry them out, you just throw them away!

• Like 1

On 3/10/2019 at 5:41 PM, SRQbeachgirl said:

This means you have some idea what you actually use.  This IS the First Time Cruisers section.

So some of us point out that many of the common things recommended are not used by some people.  Thus giving First Time Cruisers both sides, so they can make an informed decision.

Many people who start these threads claim their lists are MUST HAVE things.  Maybe for them, but not for many other people 

On 3/13/2019 at 12:22 PM, resjes said:

Look at the video I posted above, and there is a link to one on Amazon that also has USB charging ports but no surge suppressor.

On 3/19/2019 at 12:07 AM, CynCyn said:

I take those cheap plastic ponchoson every trip.  They don’t add any weight to your bag and they are much cheaper than buying them at touristy places.  A bonus is that you don’t have to dry them out, you just throw them away!

Those ponchos are a great idea as well, don't take much space.  We had to buy some on our last cruise, it started pouring right before our excursion in Roatan.

10 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Been using a go pro since he first came out, you change a heap knock off at a low price, some of them aren’t too bad.

The DBPower impressed me because of the quality and the price.  In many ways, it outperformed the camera in my Galaxy S8, the color was super accurate, and the stabilization was also good.  There are samples in the video.