Volendam Cabin 7086 Crew deck outside or public?

mathed101

I booked cabin 7086 on the Volendam and was looking forward to going out on the deck outside the window.

After speaking to a HAL rep on the phone, she told me that the deck outside was a crew only deck.

Has anyone been on the Volendam recently that can confirm that deck is still open for public use?

Thanks! 

10 hours ago, KAKcruiser said:

I'm sure the deck is open to the public.  I think sometimes the HAL reps just make things up if they don't know the answer.

You've got that right!  We were recently on the Amsterdam, which I think is a sister ship to the Volendam.  We had a cabin near the stern, and found it delightfully convenient for access to the MDR, Library, Explorations Cafe, Ocean Bar, etc.  Not only was the deck public, there were loungers placed there for the passengers.  Enjoy the location!

17 hours ago, WpgCruise said:

Maybe not as up to date as you would like, but found the attached photos and info that might help.
Looks like it's open to the passengers

It's been years since we were on the Volendam, but enjoyed the ship way back when.

http://halfacts.com/r-class/7086-volendam/

Thank you.  These are the photos that helped me decide to book that particular cabin.  I was a little thrown when she stated that the deck was for crew only since I knew that people had posted those pics.

4 hours ago, Tampa Girl said:

You've got that right!  We were recently on the Amsterdam, which I think is a sister ship to the Volendam.  We had a cabin near the stern, and found it delightfully convenient for access to the MDR, Library, Explorations Cafe, Ocean Bar, etc.  Not only was the deck public, there were loungers placed there for the passengers.  Enjoy the location!

I am definitely looking forward to the convenience and chose that location for all those reasons, especially the loungers!!  

Thank you for taking the time to respond!  

1 hour ago, mathed101 said:

Thank you.  These are the photos that helped me decide to book that particular cabin.  I was a little thrown when she stated that the deck was for crew only since I knew that people had posted those pics.

I am definitely looking forward to the convenience and chose that location for all those reasons, especially the loungers!!  

You are very welcome!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2019 at 2:54 PM, mathed101 said:

We had a discussion a few months ago about the Amsterdam room 7055, which is equivalent to 7086 on Volendam.  My 7086 pics from 2016 are also on that thread with a couple extra of the public deck on the stern, plus some of the same deck on Amsterdam. My pic quality was poor, the case on my iPhone was too thick and caused the flash to reflect back into the lens. But I am glad they helped your decision.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2372546-ms-amsterdam-aft-cabin-7055/

• 4 years later...

How did you end up looking 7086? Was it a creaky room? Reviews of 7083 say it was very creaky. I'm also wondering if it is noisy due to the stairs outside of the room? I think my grandma would enjoy the view...but concerned about noise. Thanks!

On 2/6/2019 at 7:38 PM, mathed101 said:

I booked cabin 7086 on the Volendam and was looking forward to going out on the deck outside the window.

After speaking to a HAL rep on the phone, she told me that the deck outside was a crew only deck.

Has anyone been on the Volendam recently that can confirm that deck is still open for public use?

Thanks! 

I just got back and was in 7083.  The back deck is open to passengers.  It was hardly ever crowded.  

3 hours ago, anniebelles said:

How did you end up looking 7086? Was it a creaky room? Reviews of 7083 say it was very creaky. I'm also wondering if it is noisy due to the stairs outside of the room? I think my grandma would enjoy the view...but concerned about noise. Thanks!

Just back from 7083.  Not creaky.  Not noisy.  But you need to draw the curtain after dark!

On 2/6/2019 at 4:38 PM, mathed101 said:

Thanks! 

The aft / small deck outside your cabin (7086) is not an inclusive crew only deck! It if is (if they changed it), there will be signs on the interior corridor doors (one on each side) of your deck to access it, plus similar signs on the deck above, and the one below, yours, identifying it as such! Having said that, you won't find a lot of pax out there - there is really not much to accomplish out there unless you' want to watch the moon light -  so you are more than welcome to go out there and enjoy the ship's wake.

There is a set of stairs on that aft deck that go up one deck to Lido deck, and let out aft of the Sea View pool (you can just see it as a rectangle on the attached Volendam ship's diagram and in the pic (in the back, aft of the two colorful pool chairs with the white railing with wooden bannister around it).

Unless, the crew places a chain across the opening of those sets of stairs with a sign dangling from it that states "Crew Only" "Do not pass Go and do not collect $200 U.S." (just kidding on the last part), you can use it to go down to your deck and cabin and vice versa. Remember, those stairs only go down as far as Deck 6 because the upper dining room is below that, and they prefer you not to come rappelling down on those dining room windows! Just some trivia for the next quiz 😉 

Volendam_Deck8.png.image.4540.896.low.png

vodmlidod-P1010422

3502627.jpg?cb=0

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

The aft / small deck outside your cabin (7086) is not an inclusive crew only deck! It if is (if they changed it), there will be signs on the interior corridor doors (one on each side) of your deck to access it, plus similar signs on the deck above, and the one below, yours, identifying it as such! Having said that, you won't find a lot of pax out there - there is really not much to accomplish out there unless you' want to watch the moon light -  so you are more than welcome to go out there and enjoy the ship's wake.

There is a set of stairs on that aft deck that go up one deck to Lido deck, and let out aft of the Sea View pool (you can just see it as a rectangle on the attached Volendam ship's diagram and in the pic (in the back, aft of the two colorful pool chairs with the white railing with wooden bannister around it).

Unless, the crew places a chain across the opening of those sets of stairs with a sign dangling from it that states "Crew Only" "Do not pass Go and do not collect $200 U.S." (just kidding on the last part), you can use it to go down to your deck and cabin and vice versa. Remember, those stairs only go down as far as Deck 6 because the upper dining room is below that, and they prefer you not to come rappelling down on those dining room windows! Just some trivia for the next quiz 😉 

20 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

vodmlidod-P1010422

3502627.jpg?cb=0

vodmlidod-P1010422

3502627.jpg?cb=0

1 hour ago, TiogaCruiser said:

The door in question:

IMG_1081.thumb.jpeg.21786d334984aa62e226f09c3ccc69e9.jpeg

and starboardIMG_1082.thumb.jpeg.0cc2a936f72fb305da05128c62b56b01.jpeg

And port

IMG_1083.jpeg

Cool Beans, thanks! There is an identical door on the other side. So, as stated, no "crew only area" signs in place, meaning have at it! 😉 Emergency exit is just that however, there are no alarms on that door that will activate when it's opened to the outside 

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, anniebelles said:

I am currently booked in 3428 on the Volendam. Considering switching to 7086 or 3375. Any insight? I've never cruised with HAL. Thanks!

Looks to me like either would be a better choice than 3428.  3375 is on the promenade deck while 7086 is close to the aft deck.  I don;t know if that area has any seating but at least you could get a nice view of the wake, and you have easy stairway access to the lido.

I think that while deck 1 aft is a crew area deck 2 is ok for passengers, and it is possible to use stairs from there all the way up to the lido with aft stairs to deck 3 and then "Stairway Oscar (enclosed but not restricted) past the dining rooms up to deck 6, and aft stairs the rest of the way.

Roy

44 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Looks to me like either would be a better choice than 3428.  3375 is on the promenade deck while 7086 is close to the aft deck.  I don;t know if that area has any seating but at least you could get a nice view of the wake, and you have easy stairway access to the lido.

I think that while deck 1 aft is a crew area deck 2 is ok for passengers, and it is possible to use stairs from there all the way up to the lido with aft stairs to deck 3 and then "Stairway Oscar (enclosed but not restricted) past the dining rooms up to deck 6, and aft stairs the rest of the way.

Roy

That sounds strangely like Veendam to me????

Off topic, but please forgive.

@Copper10-8 We’re in Cabo in a few days. Do you have any suggestions for a place that we could walk to for lunch?

Not sure yet if we’re doing San Sebastián with a private group or just going to Pipis in PV. It’s Pipis that you like, right?

Also, what is this square thing on the balcony above the door?😳

IMG_1086.jpeg

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TiogaCruiser said:

That sounds strangely like Veendam to me????

I think Veendam may be the exception.  I think they added aft cabins on 6 and 7 so her Stairway Oscar may be a dead end.

Roy

4 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Off topic, but please forgive.

@Copper10-8 We’re in Cabo in a few days. Do you have any suggestions for a place that we could walk to for lunch?

Not sure yet if we’re doing San Sebastián with a private group or just going to Pipis in PV. It’s Pipis that you like, right?

Also, what is this square thing on the balcony above the door?😳

IMG_1086.jpeg

For Cabo, during the last several years, we've had lunch inside the marina at a place called "Karlito's Cantina" It has a thatched/palapa roof and looks out over the marina (come off the main pier where the tenders drop you off and follow the inner perimeter of the marina, making two right turns - when you get to the faux lighthouse, you've gone too far)). Good for cold cervezas, a Margarita or Daiquiri and enchiladas 

D'RIGHT JOINT - KARLITOS CANTINA, Cabo San Lucas - Menu, Prices &  Restaurant Reviews - Tripadvisor 

For PV, I would definitely have lunch at Restaurante Pipi's. Take a taxi to get there and make sure you and the driver agree on the fare begore he takes off. Address is C. Guadalupe Sabchez 804, Centro PV 48304It's about a 20 min drive. After you're done with lunch, follow Calle Pipila westbound on foot to get to the Malecon. You can pick up a cab to get back to the ship anywhere from there. Tell the cabbie you want to go to "El Barco" at the "Terminal Maritima"   

Pipi's entrance - Picture of Pipi's, Puerto Vallarta - Tripadvisor

The box above the balcony door is connected to the door bell outside your cabin door (so your main entry door, not your balcony door! 😉 ) which balcony cabins, at one time had, and some still do. If you are on your balcony and someone presses the bell, you are made aware of that action via that box that some folks believe is a camera 😬 - it s not!. Give it a try when you check out your cabin and see a bell on the outside door   

Enjoy your cruise! We will, but we're going in the opposite direction!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2