Tempted!! Oh So Tempted by "Kids Sale Free"

RCCL Fan

It's totally a personal decision.... but I've never been a fan of pulling kids out of school for vacation.

But these Kids Sale Free sales always come along and only apply to dates 99% of all kids are in school and your devotion to your beliefs is tested.

I can sale for peanuts with the kids if I pull them out ---  Literally 1/3 of the cost of our spring break cruise on Allure.

I know the argument about learning more on vacation ---  My kids have been to these same islands,  at least 6 times, seen many educational things here.   but...... it's so cheap. hahahaha

I'm sitting here credit card in hand ----  with an itchy finger on the trigger.   Hmmmm.....

• Like 1

My parents used to take me out of school to go on ski vacations. I don't think cruise vacations are any different. There seems to be a whole stigma about parents deciding what they want to do with their children now, when it comes to taking them out of school. I don't have any kids, but I think it is a parent decision. 

We take education seriously in my house.....but also pull our kids out of school for vacation.  We also do not feel guilty about this.  Maybe it would be different if they struggled in school.  

We also pack some work and typically teachers will have them do special projects about where they have travel. Our teachers and principal have always given their blessing as well. 

I say do it!!!!  They are only kids once and the opportunity to make memories is priceless. 

Edited by Chicky2181
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Coralc said:

My parents used to take me out of school to go on ski vacations. I don't think cruise vacations are any different. There seems to be a whole stigma about parents deciding what they want to do with their children now, when it comes to taking them out of school. I don't have any kids, but I think it is a parent decision. 

No, actually it’s a school system decision. Some have no problem with taking kids out of school for vacation while others have pretty strict rules. 

Listen we are very strict about going to school. Unless you have a fever or throwing up you're going. We are "all in" to the point I volunteer at the school on a regular weekly basis. We do all the extra stuff, science fair etc. But at the same time have a limited budget and honestly in the big scheme of life one week a year isn't gonna make or break them. This year is our 20th anniversary and were pulling them out a week and yes it is during KSF thank goodness. Do it, they're with you a short time! 

6 minutes ago, Coralc said:

What can the school system actually do to you? They are rules, but I don't think that they are actually enforceable. IMO. 

In my district they can hold kids back for too many absences. I know a few people it has happened too. I believe it’s handled on a case by case basis though.  

When my daughter was 2nd grade and below, I would pull her out of school for vacation. Now that she’s middle school (in an accelerated program) I’m very reluctant to pull her out. I don’t think the school would stop me, but missing concepts and making up work....I’ll get home and need another vacation. 😊

We pulled our kids out of school 3 times between 1st grade and senior year of High School.  Unfortunately they didn't have KSF then but it was still cheaper than sailing peak season. It was also difficult for all of us to get the same week vacation during peak seasons. We always sailed in May which at the time was shoulder season for Caribbean cruises. We did not feel guilty and the teachers didn't even bother giving them work to do because it was towards the end of the year. They both graduated on time and went on to college. There were plenty of other children on board as well so it was pretty common to skip school. 

2 years ago we took our GC on a cruise in May which was KSF on the Freedom. They enjoyed it more than the Disney cruise we did the year before. I think I enjoyed it more as I didn't consider robbing a bank to pay for it! 

10 hours ago, Chicky2181 said:

In my district they can hold kids back for too many absences. I know a few people it has happened too. I believe it’s handled on a case by case basis though.  

I find it hard to believe a 7 day vacation would be considered "too many absences". 

Edited by ramja96

Agree that its a personal decision, and everyone's situations are different.....

Personally, I am preparing to take the first cruise with my daughter (who is now in college) that actually falls during her spring break.  College is a different animal :classic_biggrin:

Every other cruise that she has joined us, from her first in pre-K, thru her last as a senior in high school has required her to miss at least 4 days of school. She's always been a good student, it never affected her grades, and she was always able to catch up on things she missed. I had discussions with her teacher(s) before, and generally they were all very flexible and accommodating.

Guessing you will get a mixed bag of replies, since this topic is a tad controversial, but the kids sail free promos can be REALLY tempting-I'd do it!

Chris

I'd love to take advantage of this sale as well.  Our daughter's school district however has a policy of more than 3-days out consecutively and a Doctor's note is required to return.  I haven't figured-out a way around this policy yet or a Doctor that will write me the note.:classic_rolleyes:

2 hours ago, ilovetotravel1977 said:

I wish there was an easier way on the website to identify the cruises that have KSF.

If you click on the kids sale free link in the deals section you can then filter it on departure date and port of departure.  It's pretty easy doing it that way.

14 hours ago, Coralc said:

What can the school system actually do to you? They are rules, but I don't think that they are actually enforceable. IMO. 

oh, you'd be surprised. After 10 absences you get a social worker visit... And then you can go to jail.

My kid goes to a public school, and our school district is very strict. My friend kept pulling her elementary school aged kids out for a cruise, and she got a very stern warning after her 3rd time. She doesn't do it anymore.

While my kids' school didn't go to the extreme of calling a social worker or anything, they would not excuse the week-long absence even with a nicely worded letter from me detailing the "learning opportunities" we were going to have in visiting other countries/cultures (hey, I tried!). I think any parent needs to go into the decision of whether or not to pull the kids from school well aware of the school's attendance requirements, and coordinate with teachers in advance to ensure assignments, projects, or tests still get completed. And then, GO FOR IT!!!!

22 hours ago, RCCL Fan said:

It's totally a personal decision.... but I've never been a fan of pulling kids out of school for vacation.

But these Kids Sale Free sales always come along and only apply to dates 99% of all kids are in school and your devotion to your beliefs is tested.

I can sale for peanuts with the kids if I pull them out ---  Literally 1/3 of the cost of our spring break cruise on Allure.

I know the argument about learning more on vacation ---  My kids have been to these same islands,  at least 6 times, seen many educational things here.   but...... it's so cheap. hahahaha

I'm sitting here credit card in hand ----  with an itchy finger on the trigger.   Hmmmm.....

I am a teacher and I say do it, (I want to do it myself) but please don't ask the teachers for their work in advance. 

• Like 1

I think it’s very dependant on your kids school (as far as how they handle absences)  and what grade they are in. Some schools are way more strict than others. And in lower grades it’s easier to for kids to miss. So it’s really hard for anyone to give a solid yes or no without knowing those two very important variables. 

But “kids” is 12 or younger right?  So about 7th grade or below?    I say if your school is ok with it and your kids think they can handle missing that much go for it. 

Edited by cindivan

Are you children good students?  Do they have good attendance?  Do you get enough free time with them if not on vacation?  Is the time you will be gone during mandatory state testing? 

Most schools have a vacation policy if you check.  They don't advertise it though.  As long as it isn't during state testing we are allowed to pull them for vacation.  Also, no matter how many times your child has been to an island there is always something new to learn.  Just the different people you meet are the cruise is a cultural experience.  We try to vacation during the summer but sometimes that just doesn't work.  On another thread I mentioned that my middle child reached a major milestone on her first cruise in December.  She was able to do something her anxiety would never let her do before.  That in itself was worth the trip. 

Oh and even though we have some years taken our oldest out of school for vacation she managed to graduate valedictorian of the largest school in our area.  I think the trips added to her knowledge and abilities. 

Thanks for all the feedback.

As some of you have mentioned some schools are super strict.  Our last district, expressly told us at the beginning of the school year, that pulling kids out of school for vacations was unexcused and after 7 unexcused days a school year, your child faced being held back...  despite achievement.   Told us that in Kindergarten!

So that's kinda been in our heads from the beginning. 

We moved out of state --- and are in a new district now,  kids will be in K and 5th grade then, and this district discourages it, but isn't as strict as our last.

So it's all just top of mind.  We're driving distance to the port now (a first for us), the cruise is less than 2K for all four of us ---  we're leaning toward it.

I just can't figure out when the sale ends.   In one ad is says KSF ends this week, another says at the end of the month.