Cruise Directors are not trying to win over millennials

mcatmcat

15 hours ago, MainerRN92 said:

As a millennial I'd like to weigh in, but I haven't been on Royal yet (in December!). I've been on Carnival and Norwegian. My first cruise ever was on Carnival Vista and we had an awesome CD! I still follow him on Instagram! He had such an outgoing personality, he was a constant presence throughout the cruise, and really engaged the cruisers. NCL was a different story. The CD was practically absent, I saw more of his asst. CDs than him! I like a fun, energetic CD that engages you, not someone who is part of the background. I feel like it ties everything together. I'm interested to see what it's like on Harmony in December.

Not a millennial (by a long shot) but, was the CD by any chance, Matt Mitcham? He is the only CD I ever paid any attention to. Matt is great and makes cruises so much fun. He is not holed up in an office all day. Always seems to be out and about. Guests love him. Wish there were more like him.

59 minutes ago, Luv2Cruise525 said:

I am a millennial and I couldn't name a single cruise director that I've had on any of my cruises.  As someone who has cruised mostly in my 20's, I believe that the cruise director could have a larger presence among the passengers between the ages of 18 and 20.  This age group is old enough to enjoy the adult venues, but not allowed to drink alcohol, which leaves them in a tricky position.  Many of these guests are travelling with their families, so it is more difficult to find people their own age and mingle.  I also think that the cruise director can enhance the club environment, much like NCL does during their White Out party.  Many times during each of my cruises I have walked into the club during prime time and see everyone spread out sitting in the corners of the room.  I am definitely more critical about this topic because I have worked various events as someone who was hired to get the crowd dancing and engage with guests of all ages.  RCCL should definitely utilize their staff more to enhance the guests' experience.   

I see the activity staff out at night on the dance floor.  They were getting people up to dance.

23 hours ago, RW20 said:

All the CDs we have cruised with on Carnival have been great. You must be talking about Matt. We cruised with him before he moved to the Vista. We thought he was amazing and there couldn't be anyone better. Then we cruised with Dr. E on Carnival Magic who was trained by Matt. He was unbelievably good. Before the shows started and he would get up to speak we were hoping they would cancel the show and just let Dr. E continue. He would start the morning off with his good morning song which just set the day off right! I have never met anyone with so much energy before.

We also cruised with Princess, had a great cruise but couldn't even tell you if they had a cruise director. I guess I'll find out what the CD on the Navigator is like next month.

23 hours ago, RW20 said:

Actually, I'm talking about Schwartz! He's normally on the Breeze but was filling in for Matt while he was on vacation. I've heard rave reviews about Matt, though. The crew on Vista seemed to think they were very similar! Schwartz was just so high energy, so much fun. Popped up everywhere and made it so entertaining. I still remember him hosting the Motown Trivia in the Atrium and singing and dancing on the bar! He had this thing he did that he said he got from a good friend and fellow CD (he didn't name him but after reading this thread I think it was Richard Spacey). About halfway through the first full day he started saying I love you as a sign off. At first it was odd, then by the end of the cruise everyone was yelling it back at him, even if he was talking over the PA system. He was just awesome!

Edited by MainerRN92
Accidental double quote

10 hours ago, Cinders411 said:

Not a millennial (by a long shot) but, was the CD by any chance, Matt Mitcham? He is the only CD I ever paid any attention to. Matt is great and makes cruises so much fun. He is not holed up in an office all day. Always seems to be out and about. Guests love him. Wish there were more like him.

No, it was Schwartz! He was filling in for Matt while he was on vacation! He was very similar to Matt from crew accounts. Always bee-bopping around the ship, showing up everywhere, making it seem like there were 2 of him cause there was no way he could be at all those events (or so he made it seem!). I do want to try a cruise with Matt though, I've heard he's awesome and I loved the Vista.

I think this is a great topic --- I see so many of your points.

I'm from the MTV Generation (Gen X)  my 2 year younger wife falls into the Millennial category, HA! 

I typically have ignored cruise directors just like so many of you.   The bad jokes, hokey attitude, and I'll be honest, the only time I've been in the theater on any recent cruise was 6 years ago, the night of my wedding and my wife and I rushed into the Love & Marriage show with her gown still on.

We find the entertainment -- ho hum.  We go on the ship for the fun, the adventure, and the rest.  Yep all the things RCI marketing pushes.  

Have status but never been in a lounge.... we get the drink package, and I want bacon and eggs for breakfast not a wheat fest.

So..... We sail for the ship.  Swimming, Zip Lines, Flow Rider, The Boardwalk with our kids,  Dancing in Bolaros,  The Rock wall and the spa.

We do love to do the ice skating shows.   But headliners, random musical acts,  magic shows, never really excite us.

Don't really care about the guy introducing the acts

BUT....................

One man, one cruise director, taught us the difference a cruise director can make in making you ADORE a cruise.   Richard Spacey. 

If you had him, you get it... OMG

He was EVERYWHERE, ALL DAY LONG, and he made you LAUGH!!!

From egging you on and encouraging you while your climbed the rock wall,  to the 70's dance party where he disappears while riding the rising tide bar.  The man was always there and always on.   

I went to pick up my kid from Adventure Ocean and he's  in there!   

Dancing in the Dungeon/Crypt/ whatever it's called  and Yep he's there --- all over the floor in his crazy socks.

Got a slice of pizza in Sorrentos, He's sprinkling cheese for people saying "I LOVE YOU"

The guy had an energy about him and ever since sailing with him as a cruise director no one has lived up to him.

Some have tried and come close --- Allan Brooks and Johnny Rhodes come to mind.

But yeah... we don't sail for the entertainment shows/staff, and we don't know or care about many of the cruise directors.

But I totally agree --- RCI is marketing to millennials and well on board,  if cruise directors were more lively and yes the entertainment was more of a step up  it would complete the puzzle.

We're sailing on Vision in  2 or 3 weeks  (geez i need to plan)  and it's our first time on such a small ship.  No promenade, flow rider, no stuff.   Just one family pool, (can't take our kids to solarium) and a lounge and theater.  (I don't gamble)  I was like what are we going to do on this ship all week.  

Guess I'll be going to a show ---- I'm hoping Richard Spacey's little brother is cruise director.

9 hours ago, RCCL Fan said:

But yeah... we don't sail for the entertainment shows/staff, and we don't know or care about many of the cruise directors.

But I totally agree --- RCI is marketing to millennials and well on board,  if cruise directors were more lively and yes the entertainment was more of a step up  it would complete the puzzle.

I started cruising over 30yrs ago. Even then when the roll of the CD was a vital part of shipboard entertainment there was never one that stuck out in my mind.  They are running the same activities that they ran 30 years ago. I would have thought in all of these years that some CD would come up with something more than the same lame pool games or game shows that they plagiarized from network TV. Millennials may not know this but the Newlywed Game was hosted by Bob Eubanks not a Cruise Director. The newest ripoff is Dancing with the Officers which I whiteness on Celebrity.  Millennials like to be clean shaven so this may be the end of the hairy leg, chest, or armpit contests. I hope they don't blow a fuse coming up with another idea to fill time. I see Max Headroom becoming the new Cruise Director across the industry. If the industry eliminated the role of the cruise director I wouldn't even notice. What's going to attract a Millennial is the latest and newest technology.

Edited by Iamcruzin

Unless I am mistaken about what their job is, I feel like the cruise director has a pretty big impact on the vacation, even if I never see them:

Do the various venues (night club, lounge, Bolleros, centrum, deck parites, etc) all have some different style of music in the evenings/wee-hours so that people of all ages and tastes can find something they'll enjoy dancing to or listening to, or is pretty much everywhere playing only disco or onlylatin ballroom?

Does it seem that pretty much anytime on a sea day that you WANT to do something there are 1-2 options on the schedule?  Or do sea days seem to stack ALL the activites at 1-2 time slots (one being in the middle of dinner) and leave big 2-4 hour gaps day after day in between?

Has inclimate weather forced the canellation of many activitesand/or shows?  If so, was there a rapid change in schedule to move htings indoors, add other activites to replace cancelled deck parties and the like, or just "sorry, but hey, you can always go grab some more food at Windjammer"?

I have been on sailings where all of the above is impeccable--and on sailings where the above is very poorly handled.  I'll take cheesy jokes or a not often seen CD who manages that stuff well over a charasmatic one who makes sure we all know their name, but doesn't managethe above, any day.  The best of the best do both.

On 2/13/2019 at 7:46 PM, nws2002 said:

Guess I'm a millennial, I'm 34. The only CD I remember from my four cruises so far was on Majesty,. Her name was Susan, and I think she was Scottish. The only reason I remember her is because it was a smaller ship and she was present at a lot of the activities and events. For my other cruises they were all on larger ships and while I'm sure I saw the CD, I don't remember them at all.

Cruisin' Susan?

We had her on Grandeur Aug 2017.  

On 2/13/2019 at 8:53 PM, time4u2go said:

Lol eventually everyone that remembers the 70's is going to die off.  I would bet RCI will still be doing 70's night even then!

A long ways to go for that.

People just turning 50 remember the 70s.  So should be plenty around for at least 30 years.

On 2/13/2019 at 11:08 PM, OACEIS said:

In regards to the previous comment about the disco theme, I also believe the 70s nostalgia thing is incredibly played out and we avoid this event every time. Somebody who was a young adult in 1970 would now be almost 70 years old, not necessarily the type of dance party I would seek out. 

You need to learn math. 😄

The 70s night is mainly disco, and disco was the LATE 70s, not 1970.  Heck, in 1970, the Beatles were still together.

Some who was 20 in the late 70s is barely 60 now.  And people who were teens in the 70s, are just into their 50s.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I started cruising over 30yrs ago. Even then when the roll of the CD was a vital part of shipboard entertainment there was never one that stuck out in my mind.  They are running the same activities that they ran 30 years ago. I would have thought in all of these years that some CD would come up with something more than the same lame pool games or game shows that they plagiarized from network TV. 

We ran across a neat thing in London.  I mentioned it to the Activities Director on a cruise, and basically, they do what Corporate tells them to do.   So, they need to get some new people in at the Corporate level, to come up with some new things.

Not that I don't enjoy some of the old standbys.

Just like the old Newlywed Game, the Love and Marriage Game comes up with some wild and crazy answers.

3 minutes ago, SRF said:

You need to learn math. 😄

The 70s night is mainly disco, and disco was the LATE 70s, not 1970.  Heck, in 1970, the Beatles were still together.

Some who was 20 in the late 70s is barely 60 now.  And people who were teens in the 70s, are just into their 50s.

My stomping days was the end of Disco and the birth of New Wave Punk Rock. I'm not interested in any of those theme nights. Been there done that in actual time. I did read something  about a prohibition theme where they recreate a Speakeasy. I would be interested in that. I may have grown up with Sex, Drugs and Rock and Roll but it was my grandparents generation that pioneered it. 

5 minutes ago, SRF said:

We ran across a neat thing in London.  I mentioned it to the Activities Director on a cruise, and basically, they do what Corporate tells them to do.   So, they need to get some new people in at the Corporate level, to come up with some new things.

OMG it's been 30 years haven't haven't they retired yet?

Harry Potter Trivia is an example of successfully appealing to millennials. I've never seen so many 20somethings in the Schooner Bar, and several groups of old timers joined up with them to have a fighting chance. I don't know if that is set by the CD or activities director but I liked seeing something that brought in the younger crowd. I'm in my 50s and some of the trivia is before my time lol. 

Reliable high-speed and FREE wifi would be the best things RC could do to bring in the millennials. That would pay for itself very quickly through social media exposure. The "story" concept is huge and they are missing a golden opportunity for marketing. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

That's pretty much it. They used to also host the shopping events where they sell you the coupon book. That's a first time cruiser trap. I haven't been to one of those in over 30 years. I don't know if they even have them anymore.

They do.

They also have "Port Shopping Talk" on an almost continuous loop on one of the tv channels.

On my first ever Skyward cruise, I fell into the Port Shopping trap, and from what I have seen, nothing has changed since then.

They still have their "Ship Approved" (AKA Kickback) stores that you must shop at, or risk total financial ruin.

• Haha 1

I’m a young millennial (25 this year). I couldn’t care less who the cruise director is. They are not in charge of organising the events that happen across all the ships. 70s night is fun, but maybe newer music could be brought to the same concept? We had an 80’s night on the Symphony which was awesome, but still not my era!! 

The thing that would interest me is things like mario kart competitions on the outdoor screen, nightclub events, silent discos, CrossFit style classes in the gym. Royal have put so much effort into their marketing to target my generation, but the reality often comes up short. 

My boyfriend and I were one of the youngest couples on our Symphony cruise in May. Their newest, “amplified” ship, yet the passenger demographic was very heavy on the 60+. 

I love Royal, but I am definitely going to try out Virgin voyages in the coming years. They seem to have targeted my generation quite well.