Bionic Bar needs to GO....

It was interesting to watch as a novelty, but they could easily program the robots to do some interesting things while making the drinks, or even when they are idle.

Anyway seemed kind of boring. On our Anthem cruise, so many people couldn't figure out how to operate it that when it was actually open, they had to have a staff member there running it for people (I know, weird, huh? Why can't a robotic bar be open 24x7).

• Like 1

I like it haha. I wish it didn't use plastic cups though. I would gladly trade in the giant freestyle cup for a reusable bionic bar tumbler. Contingent on them being able to have it operating reliably. 

Confession: I also love self-checkout lines.

• Like 1

It seems that location hasn't really had a "winner" on Oasis class ever.  The Champagne Bar was okay, but also underutilized.  Would be a cool spot for an ice bar like the Martini Bar on Celebrity.  Or maybe some sort of craft cocktail bar.

Oh well, I can always dream!  As many of you have pointed out, it must be profitable, or they wouldn't keep it.

I just wish there were more options and better glasses....

I'm going to disagree and say that I actually really like the Bionic Bar. First saw it on Anthem and I'll be visiting it again on Symphony. It had a crowd that was cheering on the robot and when it inevitably failed, people laughed and boo'd it.

In my opinion, it's something unique that other cruise lines don't have. It's definitely not an ordinary bar that you would find on land. Part of me wishes they treated it as a mini nightclub at night, complete with lights, DJ (who plays electronic music) and perhaps a fog machine? It would give it more personality that it currently has. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We had our first experience two years ago on Anthem.  I thought it was pretty cool.  I loved that I could go through all the different kind of drinks and try one out.  It gives you names of drinks and ingredients.  I would not usually ask a bartender to tell me a list of drinks and what is in them.  I was able to take my time and choose something I had never tried before.  We had the drink package so it made it worth "trying it out".  I would definitely go there again.  At the same time, once we got our drink, we left.  No reason to hang out unless it was to watch other drinks being made.

Edited by slyster

You can make it fun.  Dh and son created their own drink combinations.  Not sure I would drink anything they created but it was fun. Don't look at as a regular but an amusement, as other amusements that exist.  Fun for some not so fir others.  Interesting to watch and play with.

I tried it twice had drinks that were poured over and the plastic cup wet.  I don't support a robot or computer that takes away people's jobs!  The robot isn't friendly, the robot isn't speaking to me and part of my always cruising is to meet and speak to the workers/staff, they make my cruise, not a metal robot.

On another note, they not going to take it out of the ship, I am sure they spent a fortune for these robots so it will be staying, as for me, I find it stupid and those seats there are not very comfortable either to just hang out at.

I would love an ice bar, they can convert the bionic bar with that and keep it as an ice bar and no worker has to freeze lol.

Edited by Cruisegirl6

6 hours ago, NateUpNorth said:

No wages to the bartender.

People lining up for bottom shelf liquor options.

Plastic throw-away cups rather than actual glass that needs to be washed.

I think the Bionic Bar won't be going anywhere..........

AND an 18%gratuity on top of that!!!

Our first time on Anthem in 2016, we saw some drinks being made and more people just watching when we passed by multiple times.  Our last trip this past Oct, we never saw anyone ordering a drink any of the times we walked by.  It's really just a novelty and it's wearing off for most people.  They'd do better to just put a small bar in that space with a real bartender.  

19 minutes ago, bonsai3s said:

On the Ovation a couple of years ago, we observed the Bionic Bar wasting a lot of liquor...repeatedly spilling the mix when pouring into the cups.  Perhaps it's been programmed better since.

I'm sure the 18% "gratuity" covers the spillage!

Didn't realize this was instead of Champagne Bar that we loved on Oasis (and maybe other ships we've been on) ... though we often were the only 2 or 4 people in there. Glad to know I can kind of customize my drink. And note to self: bring own martini glass along to pour drink from plastic (most likely wet and sticky) cup!

Yes, the bionic bar waste liquor, many times it doesn't all get into the glass, which means your getting less alcohol lol.  Then the cup is all wet and sticky when you hold it.  They did not improve this problem.  You also have to wait for the robot to make your drink if other people ordered it before you, but it was always empty by the third day so there was no wait then.

8 hours ago, twangster said:

I miss the Champagne Bar.  Bionic is one and done.  Did it on Harmony, walked right past on Anthem and Symphony.  

Eliminate plastic straws but retain disposable one-use plastic cups at the Bionic Bar.  Makes perfect sense.  

Oh no! I didn't realize this took the place of the champagne bar! It was my favorite on the Oasis. Now I'm bummed.