New Holland America mobile apps

diegoland

Was looking in the App Store and came across what looks like a new Holland America app. Anyone else see this yet?

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/holland-america-line-navigator/id1450557920?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D2

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hollandamerica.navigator.moapp

Take command of your cruise experience, when on board, with our free mobile application. Plan your daily activities; browse and purchase shore excursions; view restaurant menus and make reservations; check your account balance; and more.

Even before you board, you can review all the services available to guests and check out an interactive Holland America Line fleet map to see the destinations where our ships sail. 

Once on board, connect to the ship’s WiFi to view onboard events, dining menus, spa services, shore excursions, chat with other guests and more at no additional charge. (An onboard Internet purchase is NOT required to use the Navigator app.)

For the first time ever, you can now use the Holland America Line Navigator app when in port—to check your daily itinerary, book shore excursions and make dining reservations. So, you can just relax and enjoy your time ashore, knowing you’ll never miss an important event during your cruise.

Happening Onboard
Get the latest on events and activities.

Chat
Keep in touch with traveling companions, connect with new friends and more while on board.

Shore Excursions
Reserve and book your shore excursions easily and conveniently.

Dining
Make reservations at any of the ship's specialty restaurants.

My Itinerary
Stay on top of your activities, including your booked shore excursions, dining reservations and more.

Fleet Map
See the entire Holland America Line fleet of ships and learn about their destinations and ports of call.

My Account
View account details, including your onboard statement.

View & Buy Photos
Review, purchase, and share your cruise photos. (Available on select ships).

Spa & Salon  
View our extensive menu of spa treatments and services.

Connect to Paid Internet
Navigator is your portal to purchase and use additional internet plans.

It doesn’t matter if you are new to cruising or a returning guest, Navigator is available and works with all Holland America Line ships with full functionality... so download today!

Full Holland America Line fleet includes:
Amsterdam, Eurodam, Koningsdam, Maasdam, Nieuw Amsterdam, Nieuw Statendam, Noordam, Oosterdam, Prinsendam, Rotterdam, Veendam, Volendam, Westerdam, Zaandam, Zuiderdam

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Very cool.  They had a web browser based style app in the past that essentially did the same thing, but I guess they decided to go with a real app.  I just downloaded it.  I'm sailing on NIEUW STATENDAM in just over a week.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

Is it necessary to download the App or can we just continue to use the Navigator when on the ship?  It looks like it does the same thing.  (Pardon my not so great at understanding this stuff).  

I just used it on the ship....didn't download it. I loved it.....very easy to use.

• Like 3

Since they have taken the time and effort to create the app, I’m guessing the web browser based Navigator will be discontinued at some point in the future, and everyone will be required to download and use the app.  Having both services is redundant.  

20 minutes ago, eroller said:

I’m guessing the web browser based Navigator will be discontinued at some point in the future, and everyone will be required to download and use the app.

But that would mean that it could not be used on tablets, laptops, or the ship's computers.  Not everyone who sails HAL has a smartphone. 

28 minutes ago, catl331 said:

But that would mean that it could not be used on tablets, laptops, or the ship's computers.  Not everyone who sails HAL has a smartphone. 

Apps are what the majority of cruise lines use and it seems to work just fine.  There is usually other onboard technology that works alongside the apps, like interactive TV's, smart panels around the ship, and of course the internet centers which can still be used for those that don't have smart phones to access the internet.

I'm guessing HAL is switching to an app for more capability, and eventually to have services available via the app for pre-cruise services as well like making dining reservations, shore excursions, etc.  Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, MSC as well as other lines already have this capability via their apps.    

And honestly I have no idea what HAL's long term plans are regarding an app or the web browser based Navigator service, just speculating here.  

Edited by eroller

You mean you will need to carry around your phone while you are on the cruise???    (after still having problems just booking a cruise online.  Never could accomplish it, I would be worried about using an app. to do anything.)  

33 minutes ago, Hflors said:

You mean you will need to carry around your phone while you are on the cruise???    (after still having problems just booking a cruise online.  Never could accomplish it, I would be worried about using an app. to do anything.)  

It’s a choice.  On Celebrity Edge you can open your cabin door with your smartphone or use the key card.  

On some Princess ships (Ocean medallion ready) you are issued a small wearable medallion that opens your door and can be used for onboard purchases.  

On the newest MSC ship there is a voice activated personal assistant in every cabin called Zoe (Think Siri or Alexa).  

Like it or not technology is making its way into the cruise industry in a big way.  An app is only the beginning.  

1 hour ago, Hflors said:

The Celebrity app was easy to use. Guests were encouraged to use phones to play group Trivia. It was actually fun because you could view charts at the end showing how many of us guessed at which answer, and the final standing of each player by login name.

We used it more than I expected - to find places we wanted to go via the deck plan location services, to check a sea day’s dining room lunch menu, and in the stateroom to change the thermostat settings or lighting without getting out of bed, raise or lower the big window shade, and so on. 

By the way, a friend told us that her mid-20s children scoffed at the idea of carrying around the phone - in favor of disconnecting on vacation from phone tyranny.

12 hours ago, canadianbear said:

Is it necessary to download the App or can we just continue to use the Navigator when on the ship?  It looks like it does the same thing.  (Pardon my not so great at understanding this stuff).  

I'm using the Navigator right now on the NS. There has been no mention of a new app.  I suspect it's one and the same.  It certainly sounds like the same as I'm using onboard.

1 hour ago, Alberta Quilter said:

I'm using the Navigator right now on the NS. There has been no mention of a new app.  I suspect it's one and the same.  It certainly sounds like the same as I'm using onboard.

It probably will display the same information as the web-based app, but it is a different thing.  For starters, the chat feature may just provide the notifications that the web-based app lacks (i.e., notification sound on new messages, popups, etc.) and with NFC (or similar) enabled permit users to open their cabin doors, charge items, etc.  I think it's about time they did this.

Now if HAL could only get their act together on their website..... :classic_wacko:

Having happily used the onboard intranet webpage version all of last week, I've now downloaded the new app, which is compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. At a cursory glance, while not all functions operate when you are not on a cruise, such as accessing onboard account information, others do. For example, looking up possible shore excursions for an upcoming cruise. You can also use the app to sign into your HAL account. 

Good to see HAL trying to keep pace. Who knows, maybe someday soon they'll discover e-boarding passes and add that functionality to the app! :classic_biggrin:

2 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

But not making its way on to the HAL website, which seems to have been designed on a Commodore 64.

I agree it’s quite glitchy, as are most cruise line websites to be honest.  

13 hours ago, 0bnxshs said:

It probably will display the same information as the web-based app, but it is a different thing.  For starters, the chat feature may just provide the notifications that the web-based app lacks (i.e., notification sound on new messages, popups, etc.) and with NFC (or similar) enabled permit users to open their cabin doors, charge items, etc.  I think it's about time they did this.

Now if HAL could only get their act together on their website..... :classic_wacko:

The notification would be awesome.  My family and I used the navigator chat on our Alaskan cruise last Summer, and while it was better than nothing, we were perpetually missing each other as folks wouldn't check for chats frequently enough.

17 minutes ago, cabland said:

The notification would be awesome.  My family and I used the navigator chat on our Alaskan cruise last Summer, and while it was better than nothing, we were perpetually missing each other as folks wouldn't check for chats frequently enough.

I respectfully disagree-can you imagine all the noisy sounds of everyone’s chat notifications dinging!  Basically we tell each other if not together to check every 30 minutes for updates if so inclined.  

3 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

I respectfully disagree-can you imagine all the noisy sounds of everyone’s chat notifications dinging!  Basically we tell each other if not together to check every 30 minutes for updates if so inclined.  

Vibrate would work just as well and likely be just fine.  There is generally enough ambient noise on ships to drown out the occasional noisy vibration. 

On 2/15/2019 at 7:43 PM, catl331 said:

It works fine on tablets.

• Like 1