price drop after final payment. Do I have any options?

TexasCruiser84

Relatively new to NCL (1 cruise under my belt with them and it was a super last minute booking) so I'm not familiar with their policies.  I previously made my final payment on a cruise that is now two months away.  I noticed prices have dropped.  Allegedly, NCL has had trouble filling this sailing (5/4 on the Joy).  I am currently in an oceanview with a large picture window.  The price for a regular balcony is now cheaper than what I paid by about $200 (same perks, triple checked to make sure all fees were included).  I could live with the room I have dropping $200 in price and I'd just suck it up.  But a better room is now cheaper?  Well, that stinks.   

My TA says I don't have any options to get upgraded to the balcony room or some sort of OBC.  Upgrade advantage fairy is nowhere to be seen 71 days out.  Anyone have a similar experience with price drop after final payment? Did NCL do anything for you or am I just going to have to live with my overpriced oceanview?  Thanks!

4 minutes ago, TexasCruiser84 said:

Relatively new to NCL (1 cruise under my belt with them and it was a super last minute booking) so I'm not familiar with their policies.  I previously made my final payment on a cruise that is now two months away.  I noticed prices have dropped.  Allegedly, NCL has had trouble filling this sailing (5/4 on the Joy).  I am currently in an oceanview with a large picture window.  The price for a regular balcony is now cheaper than what I paid by about $200 (same perks, triple checked to make sure all fees were included).  I could live with the room I have dropping $200 in price and I'd just suck it up.  But a better room is now cheaper?  Well, that stinks.   

My TA says I don't have any options to get upgraded to the balcony room or some sort of OBC.  Upgrade advantage fairy is nowhere to be seen 71 days out.  Anyone have a similar experience with price drop after final payment? Did NCL do anything for you or am I just going to have to live with my overpriced oceanview?  Thanks!

I am surprised your TA told you that. Normally NCL will give you an upgrade if one is available but rarely an OBC. Even that isn't totally out of the question. On the other side of the coin, 2 things come to mind: 1-you were happy with the price you originally paid, so I wouldn't sweat the difference. this is why I rarely check after I made final payment. You will always find someone, for some reason that got a better deal than you and 2-many situations are such, that what you paid is the price. Do you think if your air fare went down a few days before flying the line would adjust your price? That being said I would call your agent back. She should be willing to at least call NCL for you. 

Since you booked through a TA, I don't know what your options are. Usually you can pay MORE to book to a higher room category. You say the "regular balcony" is now $200 less than you paid. Is there a higher level balcony category that is slightly MORE than what you paid that you could pay the difference and upgrade to directly?

In the past I have managed to get some percentage of the price difference as OBC from my NCL Personal Cruise Consultant, but that was booking directly through NCL.

20 minutes ago, TexasCruiser84 said:

Allegedly, NCL has had trouble filling this sailing (5/4 on the Joy).

NCL is just dropping prices because of the low demand. Don't let it bother you. If there was a high demand and prices increased over what you paid, would you want NCL to charge you the difference?

Just enjoy your cruise. You were happy with the price when you booked and you're getting what you paid for. 

More details please.  What did you book?  A category, a guarantee, a sail away rate?  What are you comparing to?  Do you have any perks like UDP or UBP?

We would have been able to upgrade a sailaway balcony to a gty balcony with the 5 perks by paying the extra service charges.

But if you want money back in some form, probably not happening.

Edited by happy cruzer

11 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

More details please.  What did you book?  A category, a guarantee, a sail away rate?  What are you comparing to?  Do you have any perks like UDP or UBP?

We would have been able to upgrade a sailaway balcony to a gty balcony with the 5 perks by paying the extra service charges.

But if you want money back in some form, probably not happening.

I certainly don't expect to see any money back.  Was hoping an upgrade to the now cheaper room would be an option or a small OBC.   Not sure of the terminology but I know I didn't book a guarantee or a sail away rate.  I am comparing my room (oceanview) to a balcony.  I have three perks and when running current prices I made sure to select the same three perks so the appropriate service fees would be factored in.  

I'll chalk it up to a lesson learned about the cruise business.  

If you are comparing an outside that is considered a lower category to a balcony that is considered a higher category then I would definitely push the TA to get the balcony cabin.  You might want to have the website up with costs when talking to the TA.

The TA may try to just say no but point out that exact category and the price drop, they should be able to call NCL while you hold and work something out.

18 minutes ago, TexasCruiser84 said:

I certainly don't expect to see any money back.  Was hoping an upgrade to the now cheaper room would be an option or a small OBC.   Not sure of the terminology but I know I didn't book a guarantee or a sail away rate.  I am comparing my room (oceanview) to a balcony.  I have three perks and when running current prices I made sure to select the same three perks so the appropriate service fees would be factored in.  

I have always been able to upgrade in the past when the price has dropped. The only time I've had trouble doing this was with a TA, and that was because the TA didn't want to do it for me, or wasn't sure how. It was such a bad experience that I stopped using a TA altogether and just book directly with NCL.

Now, granted, not all TAs are created equal, I know some folks here love their TAs, but I like being able to call NCL and deal with them directly.

Before final payment, if the price drops, I call NCL and they'll rebook me at the lower rate—the perks might change, but usually I'd rather have the money back in my pocket.

Past final payment, I've always asked for a paid upgrade—not a free upgrade. Let's say I booked an oceanview, category OB, for $899. Then the prices dropped after final payment. Now, a category BX balcony is $799, and a BC balcony is $949. In this situation, I'd call and ask to upgrade to the BC—not the BX. 

In this situation, it's a win-win—I get a better cabin, and NCL gets $100 extra from me. I'm not asking for anything for free, I'm not asking for any money back in the form of OBC (something that always struck me as rather bold to ask). Whenever I've asked to pay a little extra for a better cabin, they've always been willing to oblige. 

So, if it were me, I'd find a more attractive cabin that's at a category that is currently selling for slightly more than what you paid, and pay the difference to upgrade to that category.

If your TA says it can't be done, that may just be your TA not wanting to do it.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, dcipjr said:

I have always been able to upgrade in the past when the price has dropped. The only time I've had trouble doing this was with a TA, and that was because the TA didn't want to do it for me, or wasn't sure how. It was such a bad experience that I stopped using a TA altogether and just book directly with NCL.

Now, granted, not all TAs are created equal, I know some folks here love their TAs, but I like being able to call NCL and deal with them directly.

Before final payment, if the price drops, I call NCL and they'll rebook me at the lower rate—the perks might change, but usually I'd rather have the money back in my pocket.

Past final payment, I've always asked for a paid upgrade—not a free upgrade. Let's say I booked an oceanview, category OB, for $899. Then the prices dropped after final payment. Now, a category BX balcony is $799, and a BC balcony is $949. In this situation, I'd call and ask to upgrade to the BC—not the BX. 

In this situation, it's a win-win—I get a better cabin, and NCL gets $100 extra from me. I'm not asking for anything for free, I'm not asking for any money back in the form of OBC (something that always struck me as rather bold to ask). Whenever I've asked to pay a little extra for a better cabin, they've always been willing to oblige. 

So, if it were me, I'd find a more attractive cabin that's at a category that is currently selling for slightly more than what you paid, and pay the difference to upgrade to that category.

If your TA says it can't be done, that may just be your TA not wanting to do it.

This is a great suggestion - I'll try this! Thank you.  

OK this is what actually happened to us.  We were booked in a balcony and the price dropped significantly after final payment.  I read on CC that some people had received some OBC in that situation so I thought it was worth a phone call. The NCL agent was very nice and I was very polite and pleasant (just saying LOL) she said they usually offer an upgrade if one is available rather than OBC.  She went and did whatever to check and came back and asked if we would like an upgrade to a mini suite! I accepted.  Biggest bathroom ever.  True story.  Phone and ask and let us know the outcome. Best of luck. 👍😀

Oh, we booked directly so no TA involved.  Fingers crossed for you.

This recently happened to us and I contacted my TA, who called over to NCL.  There was no free upgrade available, but I was offered OBC worth 25% of the cost difference. ($100).  I called back the next day and upgraded our room to a more expensive category that had reduced in cost as well - the extra $ on the original cabin became credit towards our new upgraded room. 

6 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

NCL is just dropping prices because of the low demand. Don't let it bother you. If there was a high demand and prices increased over what you paid, would you want NCL to charge you the difference?

Just enjoy your cruise. You were happy with the price when you booked and you're getting what you paid for. 

It's definitely true that there will (just about always) be people on the ship with the same general cabin type as you who paid less -- but also generally true that there are some who have paid more.

I've seen people find out about big price drops after final payment get really upset about it, to the point where it ruined their vacation. It's hard not to be disappointed learning that you could have saved money if you had waited so that's natural. But as pointed out here, you could've spent more. Plus the biggest drops are often last-minute and most people with jobs and kids and stuff can't travel at last minute, so you pay more for having a scheduled cruise in advance.

14 hours ago, TexasCruiser84 said:

Never said anything about a refund, just gathering information about upgrades and OBC.  I've sailed with Royal and Carnival in the past and have not seen a better room drop in price below what I paid for a lesser category stateroom after final payment.    

Hi. Yes, NCL pricing model is different from competition. They price out real high in advance, and then dump cabins last minute because their ships don't sell out in advance. Your best pricing deals are usually found inside of 30 days, and sometimes 7 days prior.

NCL is way oversupplied up in Alaska this year. There are deep, deep discounts ahead. In your case, it can't hurt to ask for an upgrade. It's a lesson learned. When you sail NCL, be flexible and book last minute. I hope you do have a great cruise.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, blcruising said:

Hi. Yes, NCL pricing model is different from competition. They price out real high in advance, and then dump cabins last minute because their ships don't sell out in advance. Your best pricing deals are usually found inside of 30 days, and sometimes 7 days prior.

NCL is way oversupplied up in Alaska this year. There are deep, deep discounts ahead. In your case, it can't hurt to ask for an upgrade. It's a lesson learned. When you sail NCL, be flexible and book last minute. I hope you do have a great cruise.

Unless there are several choices like you are talking about with Alaska, I totally disagree with you. Most of us have to plan our vacations at least a few months in advance. To wait for a last minute discount often results in higher pricing or no availability. If you live near the embarkation port, live a life style that allows you to be very flexible what you are advising is great, but for most it is a huge gamble 

42 minutes ago, newmexicoNita said:

Unless there are several choices like you are talking about with Alaska, I totally disagree with you. Most of us have to plan our vacations at least a few months in advance. To wait for a last minute discount often results in higher pricing or no availability. If you live near the embarkation port, live a life style that allows you to be very flexible what you are advising is great, but for most it is a huge gamble 

I wouldn't call it a huge gamble, but there is risk involved and you have to prepare yourself for disappointment. I lost out on both 14 day Escape cruises out of New York last month. But, then along came an 11 day Epic from Orlando. Lined up airfare, cruise fare four days prior to sailing. It happens more often than you might think. Lots and lots of inventory from any port from which you choose to sail.

If you don't have the ability to sail last minute and still want a fair deal, NCL probably isn't your top choice. They are known to overcharge well in advance of sailing, and then dump cabins last minute. So, the people that book early, end up overpaying and the people that book last minute cruise for next to nothing. The OP in this thread booked NCL too soon and now the sailing is approaching and the discounting is starting. 

All you need is for supply of cabins to exceed demand on a ship and you can score great deals. The oversupply of Alaska is just one example of many. You can sail from New Orleans, Alaska, New York, Miami, Europe, Los Angeles. Sailaway rates across all cabin categories. Of course, sailaway means, no extra charges for promotions marketed as free. 

Breakaway, 7-day March 3, $649 minisuite sailaway

Breakaway, 7-day March 3, $549, balcony sailaway

Getaway, 7-day, March 3, $2,299 Haven

Getaway, 7-day, March 24, $799 minisuite sailaway

Escape, 7-day, March 3, $549 interior sailaway

Sun, 16 day, March 16, $749 oceanview sailaway

Jade, 10 day, March 22, $699, interior sailaway

Dawn, 7day, March 10, $479 interior sailaway

Jade, 11day, March 11, $549 interior sailaway

Star, 14-day, March 30, $749, interior sailaway

Jewel, 7-day, March 29, $499 interior sailaway

Dawn, 7-day, March 3, $429 interior sailaway

Jewel, 12-day, March 4, $899, oceanview sailaway

Star, 7 -day, March 16 and March 23, $499 interior sailaway

Spirit, 11-day, Feb 24, $599 interior sailaway

Edited by blcruising

Appreciate all of the input! I’ve emailed my TA so I’ll just wait and see at this point. It certainly isn’t anything that will ruin my vacation and I won’t be thinking about this come embarkation day, but it is something I will keep in mind for future sailings with NCL. With my schedule I do have to book pretty far in advance and can’t take advantage of last minute sailing deals, so perhaps other cruise lines are better suited for me.   Again, thanks all for sharing your tips and experiences with this.  

• Like 2

And one other item.....for anyone considering booking a sail away rate above....these are guaranteed staterooms. Your cabin can be anywhere on the ship, including above or below a public area, crew area, etc. If cabin location is important, I would not recommend booking a sail away rate. Thank you.

1 hour ago, TexasCruiser84 said:

Appreciate all of the input! I’ve emailed my TA so I’ll just wait and see at this point. It certainly isn’t anything that will ruin my vacation and I won’t be thinking about this come embarkation day, but it is something I will keep in mind for future sailings with NCL. With my schedule I do have to book pretty far in advance and can’t take advantage of last minute sailing deals, so perhaps other cruise lines are better suited for me.   Again, thanks all for sharing your tips and experiences with this.  

I'd make a phone call to your TA. I know alot of people have good luck with their Ta but I haven't once they got my booking it was hard to get ahold of them. Wait on the phone with them while they call NCL.