Schengen ETIAS coming in 2021

LHT28

Maybe it's not called a visa, but the process is just the same as a visa, with only a short turn around and nothing to put onto your passport. So as a time-limited permission to enter the EU which in practical terms, is a visa.  I don't object, but the EU should not play the game of semantics.

3 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

Maybe it's not called a visa, but the process is just the same as a visa, with only a short turn around and nothing to put onto your passport. So as a time-limited permission to enter the EU which in practical terms, is a visa.  I don't object, but the EU should not play the game of semantics.

I believe it is  attached to your passport electronically

the USA  & Canada  have similar  Visa free requirements  for certain countries

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

It was  just a matter of time 😉

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I believe it is  attached to your passport electronically

the USA  & Canada  have similar  Visa free requirements  for certain countries

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

It was  just a matter of time 😉

We Brits need an ESTA ( US Visa) even if only entering USA and leaving on a cruise the same day. US$17  pp.

Oceania has changed one of our ports to Havana and they want an eyewatering US$75 for one day!

12 hours ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

LHT28

Thank you so much for the artical. We travel alot and this is a great heads up. 

Will bypass this in 2020 in Europe but the next year will be getting this.

How and where did you come across this artical?

Denise😊

It's been talked about in the media for months.  As stated, Canada, Australia and the US already have it, so it was only a matter of time.

Just now, BenMurphy said:

We Brits need an ESTA ( US Visa) even if only entering USA and leaving on a cruise the same day. US$17  pp.

Oceania has changed one of our ports to Havana and they want an eyewatering US$75 for one day!

The ESTA  should be $14 PP

Yes  $75 for Cuba  for everyone not just the Brits

We have an Uniworld River Cruise booked to France for 2020 now, nothing yet for 2021. Perhaps we’ll skip Europe that year and miss the rush to get this new requirement!

Right at 12 million US citizens went to Europe last year! Going to be a mad house getting that first wave of those visas sorted through! We’ll see gubermit at work most likely! 😜

Edited by pinotlover

18 hours ago, LHT28 said:

The ESTA  should be $14 PP

Yes  $75 for Cuba  for everyone not just the Brits

I know that they are asking $75 from everyone............................I think that I will get our own.  

I don't think that I'd worry too much for a Schengen Visa It's easy to apply for , just as the ESTA is for us Brits

Josie

22 hours ago, BenMurphy said:

I know that they are asking $75 from everyone............................I think that I will get our own.  

I don't think that I'd worry too much for a Schengen Visa It's easy to apply for , just as the ESTA is for us Brits

Josie

Cuba also requires you buy their health insurance if you step foot on their soil and the $75 includes that. So if you get your own visa you'll also have to figure out how to get the insurance.  Far easier (and probably the same cost) to let the cruiseline get them for you.

2 hours ago, Go-Bucks! said:

Cuba also requires you buy their health insurance if you step foot on their soil and the $75 includes that. So if you get your own visa you'll also have to figure out how to get the insurance.  Far easier (and probably the same cost) to let the cruiseline get them for you.

Upon entry into Cuba, tourists must have a return air ticket, evidence of sufficient funds for their minimum financial needs, a valid visa, and proof of travel health insurance. The travel medical insurance plan must include coverage for medical evacuation by air, medical emergencies, and repatriation.

In addition, a visitors passport must be valid for at least a month beyond their expected date of departure. After arrival in Cuba, travelers shall present an insurance policy, insurance certificate, or travelling assistance card that is valid for the time they will stay in Cuba.

I copied theabove from Cuba Tourist Card Application.  I'm sure that I will be OK if my anual travel insurance covers Cuba ,it's ready for renewal in July so I will check then.

THanks for the heads up !

Josie

22 minutes ago, BenMurphy said:

Upon entry into Cuba, tourists must have a return air ticket, evidence of sufficient funds for their minimum financial needs, a valid visa, and proof of travel health insurance. The travel medical insurance plan must include coverage for medical evacuation by air, medical emergencies, and repatriation.

In addition, a visitors passport must be valid for at least a month beyond their expected date of departure. After arrival in Cuba, travelers shall present an insurance policy, insurance certificate, or travelling assistance card that is valid for the time they will stay in Cuba.

I copied theabove from Cuba Tourist Card Application.  I'm sure that I will be OK if my anual travel insurance covers Cuba ,it's ready for renewal in July so I will check then.

THanks for the heads up !

Josie

Unfortunately you will find that the cruise lines require you to purchase your Cuban visas from them notwithstanding non-US people can purchase Cuban visas on their own.  Be careful as you may end up paying twice when O charges your shipboard account as well as your direct purchase of the visa.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Go-Bucks! said:

I believe  for US citizens you need to buy  their insurance 

AFAIK  US insurance companies  do not have coverage in Cuba

other Countries  will cover you (read the fine print of course)

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I believe  for US citizens you need to buy  their insurance 

AFAIK  US insurance companies  do not have coverage in Cuba

other Countries  will cover you (read the fine print of course)

Some U.S. travel insurance companies will sell policies which include health coverage to travelers going to Cuba. Simply go to the matrices of leading travel insurance broker websites. Enter your travel destination as Cuba and about half of the companies whose quotes would normally appear show up as available.

24 minutes ago, edgee said:

Some U.S. travel insurance companies will sell policies which include health coverage to travelers going to Cuba. Simply go to the matrices of leading travel insurance broker websites. Enter your travel destination as Cuba and about half of the companies whose quotes would normally appear show up as available.

Good info for US citizens

this was not always the case

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The European Commission officially announced that the ETIAS travel permit will be a reality by the end of 2021. The Parliament and the European Commission will provide the necessary financial support for the implementation of ETIAS.

As soon as ETIAS starts operating, citizens of eligible countries will have to process ETIAS before their trip to Europe. Meanwhile, they can continue to visit Europe without having to apply for an entry permit.

We were in Cuba via Azamara in November.

All passengers regardless of their home country were required to purchase the $75 visa.

I do not recall having to provide proof of insurance. It would not have been a problem as we always take travel insurance but we were not asked when passing through customs and immigration nor was it requested by the cruise line.

Relations between the US and Cuba remain in flux, to say the least. Just ask the professional baseball players!

The ETIAS will be painless but could become a timing issue if booking a quick trip over the pond with the system stressed.