What is your best secret/piece of advice for new RC cruisers?

My family is going on its first Royal Caribbean cruise (Harmony of the Seas / Eastern Caribbean)  and I wanted to see if all of the experts on the board would be willing to provide any little secrets and/or pieces of advice to help me make this the best vacation ever for my family!  🙂

thanks in advance for the help!

26 minutes ago, Tigerlawmpw said:

My family is going on its first Royal Caribbean cruise (Harmony of the Seas / Eastern Caribbean)  and I wanted to see if all of the experts on the board would be willing to provide any little secrets and/or pieces of advice to help me make this the best vacation ever for my family!  🙂

thanks in advance for the help!

Is is this your first cruise ever, or first on RCI?

I would also suggest bringing a basic first aid kit, and as suggested, OTC meds (neosporin, Tums, Imodium, maybe even a laxative, just in case (🤣)). When is your cruise?  We are booked same ship/itinerary in May 2020.

• Like 2

I pack a lot as I like choices.  I take a different outfit for each evening and probably double the swim suits so I can pick and choose.  I take flip flops, fancy flip flops, dress sandals for formal etc.  Take cold meds, aspirin, first aid kit, sun screen, toiletries, blow dryer (I hate the ones on the ships), sweater for the evening as some venues can be chilly.  Most of all, don't sweat the small stuff and just enjoy.  Make reservations for the shows.  If you have MTD, do not feel like you have to make reservations.  If you have a big group, you probably should, but since it is just me and my husband, we never do.  Check the boards for things to do in the islands.  You don't always have to book excursions through Royal.  There are fantastic tour companies in each island that are less expensive.  We are beach people so just hit our favorite beaches.  Have been on Royal 104 times and to the Eastern Caribbean many times. If you have any specific questions, let me know and I will try to help you out.  Go with the flow, so much to do/see on Harmony that you can get stressed if you try to do everything.  See the Aqua Show, Ice Show, Production show which is Grease and super good.   Just have an amazing time.  If you have kids, they will love the water slides and mini golf course. 

Edited by karena1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don't micro-manage your trip.

Don't plan every second of the day.

Don't  try to find everything you can about the ships nook & crannies.

Don't read the Daily Compass's people post here.

Don't Look over every menu available that people post here.

Find out the basics and learn as you go.

• Like 5

In addition to the more general recommendations you are getting....

On Harmony, take advantage of the free breakfast at Johnny Rocket's  ... you can sit outside on the Boardwalk. We really enjoyed this. 

Don't miss the Aqua and Ice Skating shows.... 

Have a great time. 

🌞

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, A2Mich said:

Is is this your first cruise ever, or first on RCI?

I would also suggest bringing a basic first aid kit, and as suggested, OTC meds (neosporin, Tums, Imodium, maybe even a laxative, just in case (🤣)). When is your cruise?  We are booked same ship/itinerary in May 2020.

1st RC cruise, 3rd overall (2x on disney). sail date, Feb. 2020.

Edited by Tigerlawmpw
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Tigerlawmpw said:

1st RC cruise, 3rd overall (2x on disney). sail date, Feb. 2020.

Oh ok.  I have not cruised Disney, so can’t tell you any specific differences. We used to be Carnival cruisers (and May still sail with them in the future), but we currently enjoy RCI’s product.  I would guess that many things are in fact similar, but many of RCI’s ships are absolutely massive in size, and tend to offer many things that other cruise lines and ships simply cannot.

1 hour ago, A2Mich said:

Oh ok.  I have not cruised Disney, so can’t tell you any specific differences. We used to be Carnival cruisers (and May still sail with them in the future), but we currently enjoy RCI’s product.  I would guess that many things are in fact similar, but many of RCI’s ships are absolutely massive in size, and tend to offer many things that other cruise lines and ships simply cannot.

Yeah we did both of our Disney cruises on the two older ships so I think if I get it right that the harmony is about three times the size of the Magic and wonder

• Like 1

Sometimes you can "barter" the prices on things like specialty dining and galley tours. I've seen posts where people have got greater discounts on specialty dining just by asking, and we personally got significant discounts on the galley tour.

Independent excursion operators do fantastic work.... caveat...... do your research first!! Use the "Ports of Call" threads on cruise critic extensively for recommendations.

Book your shows ahead of time, however make sure to leave open spaces in your schedule, there's a LOT to do.

Walk the decks.  Notice each deck and each side of each deck (specifically cabin decks) are decorated differently. A- It helps you get oriented to which side of the ship you are on, B- you get to see all the different artwork and C- you get your steps in. 
Erika

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Johnamac123 said:

Hey John - Bella has some competition now - see EmilyJay's post # 46 on the Live Review Navigator OTS  ABC's 1st - 10th March thread...:classic_cool:

I think Ellen's dog is pretty cute too.

• Like 1