My Pet Peeve when cruising

evandbob

People moan about smoking, chair hogs, cutting in line, underaged kids where they shouldn't be, etc., but I rarely see this topic addressed.  I'm talking about cruisers re-using cups or filling their personal water bottles or Yeti Bubba Cup at the buffet juice, coffee or water dispensers.

The worst is when someone inserts the dispensing nozzle right into the mouth of their water bottle.  Great way to spread germs, jeez!  I've seen this on all the lines I've sailed so far from Carnival to Celebrity.  And the only time staff seem to care is after a noro outbreak.

I stopped using these dispensing machines years ago and have bottled water delivered to my cabin.  When I want coffee I can get it at the breakfast or brunch MDR or the coffee shop.  I just shake my head at so many pax doing something so gross without a care in the world.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I never noticed this until last month on the Jade. Wow.... so many people use the water machine to fill up their personal jugs of water. (Yes jug, not mug... lol.)

I wanted a small cup of water, and waited in line behind four people, all filling up their (what seemed to be, ) 60 oz. mug, when the sign very clearly said, "do not fill your personal water bottles, here."

I think there's a whole lot of people who don't know the water in their bathroom is 100% potable.

26 minutes ago, evandbob said:

People moan about smoking, chair hogs, cutting in line, underaged kids where they shouldn't be, etc., but I rarely see this topic addressed.  I'm talking about cruisers re-using cups or filling their personal water bottles or Yeti Bubba Cup at the buffet juice, coffee or water dispensers.

The worst is when someone inserts the dispensing nozzle right into the mouth of their water bottle.  Great way to spread germs, jeez!  I've seen this on all the lines I've sailed so far from Carnival to Celebrity.  And the only time staff seem to care is after a noro outbreak.

I stopped using these dispensing machines years ago and have bottled water delivered to my cabin.  When I want coffee I can get it at the breakfast or brunch MDR or the coffee shop.  I just shake my head at so many pax doing something so gross without a care in the world.

On a recent cruise my wife approached a man who was refilling his water bottle exactly as you stated. She told him that he should not be doing that bevause of germs. The guy cursed out my elderly wife.When I found out about this I went to Guest Services  and they poo pooed it.

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

On a recent cruise my wife approached a man who was refilling his water bottle exactly as you stated. She told him that he should not be doing that bevause of germs. The guy cursed out my elderly wife.When I found out about this I went to Guest Services  and they poo pooed it.

What do you mean by they poo pooed it? Did they completely dismiss your complaint? 

I imagine it is difficult for the staff. The line posts policies, but they don't have the staff to police it. If they get enough staff to police it, prices go up and then everyone complains about crazy prices.

52 minutes ago, Kmkub said:

What do you mean by they poo pooed it? Did they completely dismiss your complaint? 

I imagine it is difficult for the staff. The line posts policies, but they don't have the staff to police it. If they get enough staff to police it, prices go up and then everyone complains about crazy prices.

They said there was nothing they could do. I also complained about people sitting in the library and sneezing into the air. There were tissue boxes in sight but nobody used them.

They said there was nothing they could do about that either.

3 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

They said there was nothing they could do. I also complained about people sitting in the library and sneezing into the air. There were tissue boxes in sight but nobody used them.

They said there was nothing they could do about that either.

Now you have my attention.   What would you have the cruise line Guest Relations staff (in a different part of the ship) do about folks who sneeze into the air?  Please tell your solution.

Hank

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, whogo said:

Some water dispensers are designed to keep containers from contacting the nozzle. Shame on any cruise line that does not use them.

When i was on the NCL Star last April, the water dispensers in the buffet were touchless.

12 hours ago, whogo said:

Some water dispensers are designed to keep containers from contacting the nozzle. Shame on any cruise line that does not use them.

On the Pride it seemed very difficult to have the cup come in contact with the dispenser.  We did however follow the instructions of using their cup to fill our tumblers.

The lido cups are very small for someone who drinks a lot of water.  I would need to use at least 4 of their glasses per meal an would rather fill once than getting up several times.  We do refill from the cabin throughout the day too.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, whogo said:

Totally agree.  On my last NCL cruise, I watch folks do this in one of the outdoor restaurants.  There was clearly a sign posted, not to mention on one account, there was a crew member waiting behind them and never said a word.  I did write a note to NCL suggesting that they jury rig something metal on the dispenser, so that the nozzel could never touch the water bottle, etc.

2 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

I'm perfectly OK with refilling water containers that have a top that screws off.  To be clear, this would be a container that the top has the opening for drinking.  Take the top off and the part that touches the user's mouth isn't in contact with the dispenser. Did that makes sense? I have a cold and feel horrible this morning.

The problem I see with this is that others see this and they think it is okay to fill their water container from the dispenser, even if their mouthpiece touchs the dispenser.  I always fill mine with a glass and hope that others do as well.

Hope you feel better soon.

8 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

I'm perfectly OK with refilling water containers that have a top that screws off.  To be clear, this would be a container that the top has the opening for drinking.  Take the top off and the part that touches the user's mouth isn't in contact with the dispenser. Did that makes sense? I have a cold and feel horrible this morning.

🤧

Spring and summer colds are the worst. 

Plan a cruise. That will make you feel so much better!

4 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

The problem I see with this is that others see this and they think it is okay to fill their water container from the dispenser, even if their mouthpiece touchs the dispenser.  I always fill mine with a glass and hope that others do as well.

Hope you feel better soon.

14 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Now you have my attention.   What would you have the cruise line Guest Relations staff (in a different part of the ship) do about folks who sneeze into the air?  Please tell your solution.

Hank

Post signs in the library to use the tissues that were available .Do you not believe that people should use tissues or at least sneeze into their elbow sleeve ?

4 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Post signs in the library to use the tissues that were available .Do you not believe that people should use tissues or at least sneeze into their elbow sleeve ?

Your solution sounds good in theory, however, people who don't already know that their sneezing spreads germs flying everywhere, are unlikely to be convinced by a sign (that they may never even see.)

5 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I believe in personal responsibility.  And not sure that many folks change their behavior because of a sign.  One can find many things and behaviors of which to be critical, but posting a sign for every issue is not productive.  Kind of like posting a sign at a swimming pool for of kids saying "no splashing."  :).  Come to think of it, how about posting speed limit signs, for scooters, all over the ship.

Hank

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I believe in personal responsibility.  And not sure that many folks change their behavior because of a sign.  One can find many things and behaviors of which to be critical, but posting a sign for every issue is not productive.  Kind of like posting a sign at a swimming pool for of kids saying "no splashing."  :).  Come to think of it, how about posting speed limit signs, for scooters, all over the ship.

Hank

The next time you are in a library on a ship and a person sneezes in your face what will you do? My thinking is that you will have a negative reaction .

2 hours ago, Kmkub said:

Your solution sounds good in theory, however, people who don't already know that their sneezing spreads germs flying everywhere, are unlikely to be convinced by a sign (that they may never even see.)

Who in the world apart from and under 4 year old wouldn't know about sneezing spreading germs, it is right up there with washing hands. It is the same people who choose to ignore basic hygiene that spread these diseases on the ship..

Just now, MicCanberra said:

Who in the world apart from and under 4 year old wouldn't know about sneezing spreading germs, it is right up there with washing hands. It is the same people who choose to ignore basic hygiene that spread these diseases on the ship..

I think the world is filled with selfish people who think everyone else is just an extra in their own personal movie.  They are completely unaware that their actions might impact other people. (And/or they don't care.)

I could provide a long list of examples; sneezing without thinking of others is just the tip of the iceberg.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

I hope you mean for the scooters to speed up. Most of my whining is about being stuck behind them while they creep. 

3 hours ago, jagsfan said:

I hope you mean for the scooters to speed up. Most of my whining is about being stuck behind them while they creep. 

If we treat this as a serious subject our answer would be no!  DW and I have both had near misses with scooters on HAL and Celebrity.  On one cruise, while DW was simply standing and chatting with some folks a very large gentleman in a very large scooter decided to back up (without looking) and managed to put one of his wheels on DW's foot...at which point she screamed out in lots of pain.  Fortunately the result was only a nasty bruise and nothing was broken,.  On a HAL cruise I was almost crushed against the rear of an elevator when a lady came flying through the open doors with no regard to others getting off or those of us on the car.   On another HAL cruise we witnessed a lady who was injured by a fast moving scooter, the driver of which seemed to have no awareness of anything (or anyone) around her.  

Do not get me wrong as I am a big fan of the scooters and how they do help many folks who need this transportation support.  But it does seem that cruise ships have too many who either do not have a clue how to drive the things, or could care less about anyone else in their way!  We just wish that all those with scooters would be a little more careful when it comes to their movements.

Hank

• Like 2