Royal Princess of NCL Bliss

Loreni

Those of us sailing from LA will soon have this choice.  I want 3 things from a cruise: a walkable promenade, comfortable cabin, gluten-free food.

We are elite on Princess and, since 2005, have sailed with them exclusively.  I never thought I would sail NCL, but I’m thinking about it.  Based on numerous changes, I don’t believe Princess values its elites or really wants to retain them.

I have seen higher cruise fares for elites on certain sailings.

Removing the chairs and tables from cabins and removing the footrests, larger tables, and comfortable reclining chairs from balconies disproportionately hurts elites. Literally HURTS.  Why?  They tend to older and have knee or back pain and/or arthritis.  They need chairs.  Some like to spend more time in their cabins to be close to the bathroom.  Some have hearing problems and prefer peace and quiet of their private space. They sometimes like room service because they can’t easily navigate the buffet or endure the long breakfasts and lunches in MDR.  For room service, you need a table.

I would probably still sail a Grand class ship rather than Bliss, but the Royal Class doesn’t have a walkable promenade.  Bliss does.

Can NCL accommodate gluten-free?  

Does Bliss offer more comfortable cabin and/or balcony furniture?  Tables for room service?

Just how how bad is NCL food in the MDR?  How does it compare to Princess, considering the decline in Princess food?

Are NCL’s for-fee restaurants good?  Is the food made to order? 

Edited by Loreni

15 minutes ago, Loreni said:

Those of us sailing from LA will soon have this choice.  I want 3 things from a cruise: a walkable promenade, comfortable cabin, gluten-free food.

We are elite on Princess and, since 2005, have sailed with them exclusively.  I never thought I would sail NCL, but I’m thinking about it.  Based on numerous changes, I don’t believe Princess values its elites or really wants to retain them.

Removing the chairs and tables from cabins and removing the footrests, larger tables, and comfortable reclining chairs from balconies disproportionately hurts elites. Literally HURTS.  Why?  They tend to older and have knee or back pain and/or arthritis.  They need chairs.  Some like to spend more time in their cabins to be close to the bathroom.  Some have hearing problems and prefer peace and quiet of their private space. They sometimes like room service because they can’t easily navigate the buffet or endure the long breakfasts and lunches in MDR.  For room service, you need a table.

I would probably still sail a Grand class ship rather than Bliss, but the Royal Class doesn’t have a walkable promenade.  Bliss does.

Does Bliss offer more comfortable cabin and/or balcony furniture?  Tables for room service?

Just how how bad is NCL food in the MDR?  How does it compare to Princess, considering the decline in Princess food?

Interesting classifications for Elites on Princess. 

For NCL questions, I'd highly recommend the NCL board. They have their frequent cruisers that can answer questions - just like the frequent Princess cruisers do here 

Enjoy.

Although I have not sailed the Bliss, I have sailed on the NCL Breakaway size ships. Depending upon when you are sailing, you may have a LOT of crowds and children. The pools and venues get crowded so make reservations for shows and dining in advance. 

We stayed in the Haven and I can tell you that had we not, we would not have enjoyed the cruise as much. Too many crowds! There really is a huge difference in food quality and service, too. The Haven is like a ship within a ship. The difference is quite remarkable. 

We ate only in the Haven and specialty restaurants so can’t answer the MDR question. We enjoyed all of the specialty restaurants and the Haven food. It was top notch in our opinion. My mom required a low-salt diet and they accommodated that for each meal. The Waterfront (like a promenade) is really nice! NCL really planned it well. You can eat or relax outside and enjoy the views from there. 

Right now I prefer Princess over NCL. Primarily due to the crowds and increasing cost issues. NCL Haven prices have increased tremendously. Just my opinion, though. 

One more thing. Your NCL cabin size and quality will depend on what you are booking. Haven suites are very nice. The balconies overall are not very wide unless you are in certain ones or in suites. There are lots of posts regarding the Bliss on the NCL boards and also FB, including one specifically for the Bliss. People love the Bliss observation lounge which would be great for certain itineraries. If you have children, the Bliss would be great due to all of the extras like slides and racetrack. Good luck with your decision. ☺️

Please don't take this the wrong way but Elites don't

41 minutes ago, Loreni said:

need chairs.  Some like to spend more time in their cabins to be close to the bathroom.  Some have hearing problems and prefer peace and quiet of their private space. They sometimes like room service because they can’t easily navigate the buffet or endure the long breakfasts and lunches in MDR. 

I'm Elite and want (nothing is a need) full IC (upgraded coffee + smaller meals), loads of stairs, functioning gym, bb court, classical music .... don't need climbing walls, slides, electric car races ect. Each line has their own perks. If dissatisfied with one, try another. 

Thanks, I will check FB and NCL boards and be careful what time of year we sail.   I also look forward to more insights from Princess cruisers who have also tried Biliss or NCL in general.   We don’t like crowds, but if the room is nicer, we’d spend more time there.  I know NCL charges for room service, but this may be OK depending on the total cost of the cruise.  Making reservations for a show might be better being forced to line up early to get a seat, like on Princess.

I hate the ship-within-ship trend, but sadly Princess is going to this way too.

Elite cruisers, as a group, are older.

Older people, as a group, have more ailments.

This does not mean all Elites are affected by the recent changes, but, as a group, Elites are disproportionately affected.   And this is likely by design as management would prefer new cruisers who, as a group, spend more onboard.  

I am sailing Royal for the first time in 2 weeks so can't directly compare right now. Having said that, I was a loyal Princess cruiser for many years and never thought I would find the need to try other lines. The past 4 or 5 years we have noticed many of the little extras that set Princess apart from other lines are disappearing, while pricing is only rising. Thus, we started trying out other lines - and have not yet find one we didn't enjoy (Disney was our least favorite of all).

Last October we sailed Bliss - first time on NCL. We had a fantastic time. It was nothing like a Princess cruise - different demographic for starters. Far more family groups and younger cruisers on Bliss. The ship was magnificent. I was worried it would be crowded but, honestly, many times I felt that I had the ship to myself....I still wonder where all the other passengers were! The observation lounge was spectacular, as was the Waterfront - outdoor dining/bars/promenade. There were lots of cool extras for the kids to enjoy too. The entertainment was easily on par with Princess - Jersey Boys as good as I have seen on Broadway and, while I personally didn't care for Havana, the singing and dancing were top notch. The Beatles tribute was great, as were the comedians and other bands on board. Food was great - we didn't feel the need to try any of the paid dining options. The buffet is the biggest I've seen at sea - typical buffet food but the Indian section was to die for! As for the bars....the District Brewhouse and Mojito Bar became my second home! We sailed in a balcony - the balcony itself was a little smaller than Princess (not much) but the room was well laid out with a sofa! No table but a desk and chair similar to Princess. There is also a Keurig coffee maker in the room. The bathroom was far nicer than Princess - no clingy cloth shower curtains! Storage wasn't great...

The only downsides to NCL were the upcharges for so many things (I don't mind paying for things, but I like to have everything paid and done before I leave - that wasn't possible), the need to make reservations (we did get reservations as soon as we boarded for everything we wanted to do, but it was a nagging "stress" up until that point), and the one time when we did encounter the crowds - at port in San Francisco as we had to clear US CBP. That took over 2 hours to get off the ship, but definitely was unique to this itinerary/situation (other ports and disembark were fast and easy).

I'm sailing Bliss again this October and also hoping to try Joy in the not too distant future. If you have any specific questions, I would be happy to help. I would also recommend looking at some of the Bliss live reviews on the NCL board - they are filled with info and pictures (I love the one written by Sid) which I found super helpful!

Thank you for the review.  I just checked pricing on upcoming Mexico sailings.  I expected NCL to be much less than Princess; it wasn’t.  Some have said that the MDR on NCL is so bad that specialty dining is recommended.  If so, the base price should be lower.  Others say the MDR on NCL is surprisingly good.

I hope I can find some recent photos of the NCL MDR food as well as food in the Observation Lounge.  

I’ve been on two cruises. One on the Island Princess in a full suite and the other in The Haven on the Bliss. Loved them both for different reasons. The Bliss was brand spanking new and the Haven was spectacular; impeccable service and great food in the dedicated dining room, but the food was in line with the Club Class on the Island Princess (only the decor was newer and therefor nicer). 

These were such different ships ships that I wouldn’t otherwise compare them. In the end though, tne Haven on the Bliss was more expensive than then full suite on the Island Princess; more amenities but those  come with a higher price. 

We we are taking a different tact and not building loyalty to a single line. We are doing our third cruise on the Enchanted Princess’ maiden voyage next year because we loved the new ship experience and that itinerary is one we were really interested in. 

Maybe consider another line to see what else is out there and don’t think about that loyalty program. Pick your itinerary and pick a different line and just keep exploring the big blue globe. 

Happy cruising! 

Edited by CindyPie1004

12 hours ago, Loreni said:

I like princess and I will probably never leave but I will cruise on the other lines. I was on the NCL Bliss last September and loved it. The food in the for-fee restaurants was outstanding.   Here are pictures of my scallops in the MDR and my neighbors prime rib.   This was the only night that we ate in the MDR because the other nights were spent in the specialty restaurants.  

4D29F3CC-EF47-4AE5-B00B-B7A09C1AED40.jpeg

FD365C52-59C8-4487-BC3E-D90F91182CFC.jpeg

6 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

I am sailing Royal for the first time in 2 weeks so can't directly compare right now. Having said that, I was a loyal Princess cruiser for many years and never thought I would find the need to try other lines. The past 4 or 5 years we have noticed many of the little extras that set Princess apart from other lines are disappearing, while pricing is only rising. Thus, we started trying out other lines - and have not yet find one we didn't enjoy (Disney was our least favorite of all).

Last October we sailed Bliss - first time on NCL. We had a fantastic time. It was nothing like a Princess cruise - different demographic for starters. Far more family groups and younger cruisers on Bliss. The ship was magnificent. I was worried it would be crowded but, honestly, many times I felt that I had the ship to myself....I still wonder where all the other passengers were! The observation lounge was spectacular, as was the Waterfront - outdoor dining/bars/promenade. There were lots of cool extras for the kids to enjoy too. The entertainment was easily on par with Princess - Jersey Boys as good as I have seen on Broadway and, while I personally didn't care for Havana, the singing and dancing were top notch. The Beatles tribute was great, as were the comedians and other bands on board. Food was great - we didn't feel the need to try any of the paid dining options. The buffet is the biggest I've seen at sea - typical buffet food but the Indian section was to die for! As for the bars....the District Brewhouse and Mojito Bar became my second home! We sailed in a balcony - the balcony itself was a little smaller than Princess (not much) but the room was well laid out with a sofa! No table but a desk and chair similar to Princess. There is also a Keurig coffee maker in the room. The bathroom was far nicer than Princess - no clingy cloth shower curtains! Storage wasn't great...

The only downsides to NCL were the upcharges for so many things (I don't mind paying for things, but I like to have everything paid and done before I leave - that wasn't possible), the need to make reservations (we did get reservations as soon as we boarded for everything we wanted to do, but it was a nagging "stress" up until that point), and the one time when we did encounter the crowds - at port in San Francisco as we had to clear US CBP. That took over 2 hours to get off the ship, but definitely was unique to this itinerary/situation (other ports and disembark were fast and easy).

I'm sailing Bliss again this October and also hoping to try Joy in the not too distant future. If you have any specific questions, I would be happy to help. I would also recommend looking at some of the Bliss live reviews on the NCL board - they are filled with info and pictures (I love the one written by Sid) which I found super helpful!

I agree with you on so many things. I wondered where all of the others were half of the time, the Observation Lounge was stunning, the Jersey Boys was outstanding (I would pay to see that one!) and I also did not care for Havana.

We were in an interior cabin which was probably the smallest interior that I have ever been in but I loved the bathroom with the glass shower enclosure and the hand held shower wand. Also, I loved the light above the bed with the plug for the USB cord. 

Specialty dining was very good our favorites were Teppanyacki and Cagney’s steakhouse. Excellent. 

334587D0-7892-4A7D-B2BA-F522439C3D7F.jpeg

4 hours ago, weedpindle said:

Why are you posting NCL stuff on the Princess board. No one forces you to cruise with Princess.

???? Just because this is the Princess board, doesn't mean you are not free to sail on other lines! If you have no interest, then don't read it....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Loreni said:

Thank you for the review.  I just checked pricing on upcoming Mexico sailings.  I expected NCL to be much less than Princess; it wasn’t.  Some have said that the MDR on NCL is so bad that specialty dining is recommended.  If so, the base price should be lower.  Others say the MDR on NCL is surprisingly good.

I hope I can find some recent photos of the NCL MDR food as well as food in the Observation Lounge.  

I was surprised at the pricing, too. I had expected NCL to be far lower than Princess but not so (maybe this is ship/itinerary specific). I don't have pictures from the MDR but can tell you that food quality was easily comparable to Princess - service not so much (it was sooooo slow) but consider it's equivalent to anytime dining all the time!!!!!!

11 hours ago, HBCcruiser said:

Here is a link to Scott Singer Cruises video blogs. He has several NCL, Princess and HAL blogs. They are quite informative. 

Thanks for the YouTube and blog info.  I have a lot more research to do, but most of what I’m finding is encouraging.

i appreciate everyone’s help and input.  

4 hours ago, weedpindle said:

Why are you posting NCL stuff on the Princess board. No one forces you to cruise with Princess.

I’m on your side. You and I should head over to the NCL board and start bashing them. I bet they wouldn’t be so amused. 

Glenn

Edited by Grburkart

I have found more food photos and movies on YouTube.  Most of it looks good.  One big plus is that NCL uses real butter.  Another plus is that NCL has hard ice cream at the buffet, I think Princess cut this out years ago.  

Also, NCL has chocolate bark and peanut brittle on the buffet...I have never seen candy on a Princess buffet, except once in 2005 Princess had chocolate dipped cherries and strawberries.

The MDR food looks good.  I am worried about the other restaurants because DH needs gluten free.  I need to learn more about how well NCL handles this, Princess has been fantastic with the special diet.  If we need to stick with the 3 MDRs, that’s OK.

I am also intrigued by the possibility of much better entertainment like Jersey Boys.  I am surprised to learn that my older DH wants to try the free fall water slide and the go carts.

8 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

Here is a link to my quick comparison/review if interested:

OP, we were on the same cruise. Yes, San Francisco was a mess and we got stuck for several hours before we could return to the ship but everything else was great.  

I feel that the Jersey Boys was far superior to anything I have ever seen on a cruise ship. Wait, one other time on the HAL Eurodam there was a show called planet earth. It was made for Holland America and it was a planet earth movie with a Symphony playing along with it and let me tell you, it was intense. We loved it! So, in my opinion, if you could put those two shows together on a ship, and add MUTS then you would have the perfect entertainment.  Reading your review makes me want to book another cruise on the NCL Bliss. 

Thank you for your review I really enjoyed it. 

We were on the NCL Spirit in the Med in November. It is a smaller ship, not like any other NCL ship, kind of like the Pacific Princess in the Princess fleet (but much larger). The food on the ship was nothing short of amazing. The quality and the variety put it on par with items enjoyed only at MTP luncheons on Princess. I asked a headwaiter if that ship had different menus than the rest of the NCL fleet but was told that it didn’t. It was night and day different than the food on our only other NCL cruise in 2000.