My Observations: 30 Days on the Volendam

The cruise was a b2b from San Diego to Lima, Peru

HAL FLIGHTS and Hotel Pick Up  

Weather caused three cancellations for our first early morning flight from Ottawa resulting in a very LATE arrival in San Diego where the airport shuts down at 11:30.  

Until we’d booked and paid for HAL service we didn’t realize that what HAL provided was the free hotel shuttle (as offered to all guests) — no actual airport pickup by a HAL official as we’ve enjoyed lately.  The problem was that the hotel shuttle stopped service at 11:30 and since the hotel was so close the first taxi in line was reluctant to take us.  I’m sure legally he had to but the promise of a large tip ensured he did.  

We usual get good flight prices with HAL but will no longer stay in their pricey hotel options just to ensure easy transfers.

Embarkation and Disembarkation

Boarding was straightforward and our bags were in our cabin by 1:30.

On the final day the San Diego US Immigration for non US citizens was done differently than last year in Los Angeles.  By deck we had to report to the Main Stage by 6:45 for a face to passport screening.  There were no further US checks.

The disembarkation was smooth.  It allowed time for breakfast in the Dining room and then we simply waited for our 8:50 call in our room.

Pinnacle Grill  

On our last HAL cruise we were completely ignored by table stewards as they focussed on those who dined their frequently.  This time we received excellent service and attention to detail.  We never had any difficulty arranging a time, even on sea days.  We found the food delicious and attractively presented but the meat/fish servings were enormous for our appetites.  We had two dinners and four lunches.

Food  For the first time ever on any line, we chose to eat many dinners at the Lido, simply because nothing appealed to us on the dining room menu.  But since we frequently had lunch at the Pinnacle on sea days something light in the Lido was suffice.  We quickly learned to avoid the beef/leather in both the dining room and the Lido.  And the juices served at breakfast we so diluted they weren’t worth the few remaining calories.  As always we loved HAL breads and enjoyed the varied offerings at the Asian section in the Lido at lunch time.

I prefer the gracious service at traditional dining, rather than the chaos of the Lido,  so this is a major switch for us.  I also prefer the more artistic ‘plating’ of a dining room meal. There seemed to be fewer Lido table stewards available for little other than whisking dishes away.  At busy times water, tea or coffee had to be requested as they were so busy keeping tables cleared.    But they ALWAYS responded with a gracious smile and service when asked.

On the last day lunch in the Lido featured, lobster and giant shrimp.  And the last dining room dinner offered prime rib which was great.  It reminded me of summer camps which would serve their best meal the evening before the campers returned home, hoping that would be their lingering memory of camp meals.

My husband missed the cold soups of the past. 

Edited by Been There, Planning That
Sentence error
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

Thank you for the notes.  I hope to hear about some of your ports too. 

Many of the ports were new to us, especially the  coastal ones in Peru.  We now rely on HAL excursions and were happy with our choices, but most involved LONG bus rides (often over an hour) to the sites interesting us.  We had visited Peru independently so just revisited the city itself.

Many ports were industrial ones but either HAL or the local authorities provided free shuttle service to the nearest village or town.  This included Lima for a 45minute to hour shuttle to Miraflores.

1 hour ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Thank you for your review.

Reports from the Prinsendam indicate that HAL may be bringing back a few cold soups.

Oh we hope so! They were always a special treat we enjoyed when cruising. 

• Like 1

The rest of my comments:

Temperature Control 

As on many ships interior temperatures varied widely from one area to another and locations varied daily so one always had to be prepared for deep chills or warmth.  Each day the hot and frigid areas changed locations so there was no predicting what clothing was needed for any option other than at the Main Stage which was always cold and the area for the Adagio players consistently equivalent to the Arctic temperatures.  Layering was very much the order of the day / venue  for us.  And since it was a cruise from San Diego to Peru, we didn’t pack sufficient and varied ‘warm’ additions.

Internet

We purchased the 30 day package for Email and basic internet with no live streaming for about $275 US.  We found the speed of connection quite acceptable.

Port/EXC Talks

On our last few HAL cruises we missed the real Port Talks offering general information about a port.

On this  cruise, with its EXC lectures things were great.  Jude, gave basic and excellent talks about an upcoming port.  And she made herself available around the ship for answering questions.  In addition to port talks there were great talks about Space Law and Mexican history.

More seemed to be offered to small interest groups than in two HAL cruises in 2017.  For example both a Rabbi and Interdenominational Minister offered services in addition to those of the priest.  Their talks and bible discussion groups were just advertised once in the When and Where but sea day meetings were at the same time and place for each.  There was even a craft leader on board.

I suspect they don’t want to clutter the When and Where, and so after one notice, leave it to each interest group to let others know.  Not ideal, for those who might have missed the first and only notice, but better than nothing.

HAL Excursions 

We now take ship excursions with the exception of easy Hop on Hop Off Buses.  We had some of the best guides on ship sponsored excursions.  This could be that a few of the ports were not  crowded with monster ships which must stretch the limits of most companies selling excursions to the ship.

New to Us, Voyager Planner 

Our last HAL trip was in late 2017 so these were new to us.  For the first half of the 30 day cruise we were given a two page planner clearly showing entertainment and dining options.  One was also provided for the return portion.  It made planning easy and highlights of a day easily accessible.  This of course was in addition to the daily When and Where.

37 minutes ago, Been There, Planning That said:

On this  cruise, with its EXC lectures things were great.  Jude, gave basic and excellent talks about an upcoming port.  And she made herself available around the ship for answering questions.  In addition to port talks there were great talks about Space Law and Mexican history.

From my experience with this new EXC concept, it's working.  The EXC guides were well versed about their subject and were interesting. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Been There, Planning That said:

both a Rabbi and Interdenominational Minister offered services in addition to those of the priest.  

This is excellent news as far as I am concerned!  For those of us who are not Catholic, Interdenominational Services conducted by whomever as a guest rarely replace the quality of an on-board service by a Protestant Minister.  (Surely am unsure as to how Jewish guests feel about this with a lack of a Rabbi.)  

I also must say that I have attended Interdenominational Services that were conducted by a Priest.  The gentleman knew that was part of his "job description" prior to embarking.  Those services fully met my expectations!   (And, I still remember his sense of humor!)  

5 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

This is excellent news as far as I am concerned! 

The Protestant clergy person was great.  

My only complaint is that in an attempt to keep a 'clean and uncluttered'  When and Where, the morning Bible study announcement was never repeated, even for the second leg of this b2b when there was a 10% passenger change over.  The same was true for the rabbi's meetings. The mass announcements were in daily.

Ruth

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Been There, Planning That said:

The Protestant clergy person was great.  

My only complaint is that in an attempt to keep a 'clean and uncluttered'  When and Where, the morning Bible study announcement was never repeated, even for the second leg of this b2b when there was a 10% passenger change over.  The same was true for the rabbi's meetings. The mass announcements were in daily.

Ruth

Yes, you are so correct!

1 minute ago, erewhon said:

Our favourite ship having sailed on her many times.

As I have as well, probably not as many times as you, however.  Rotterdam V will always be my #1 favorite.  In the current fleet, Volendam is much loved and appreciated for first taking me to ports that I had only dreamed about visiting.  And, with crews that demonstrated the former HAL "Signature of Excellence" slogan before the PR folks in Seattle created it!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

This is excellent news as far as I am concerned!  For those of us who are not Catholic, Interdenominational Services conducted by whomever as a guest rarely replace the quality of an on-board service by a Protestant Minister.  (Surely am unsure as to how Jewish guests feel about this with a lack of a Rabbi.)  

I also must say that I have attended Interdenominational Services that were conducted by a Priest.  The gentleman knew that was part of his "job description" prior to embarking.  Those services fully met my expectations!   (And, I still remember his sense of humor!)  

I am glad to hear this, too!  On Amazon Explorer a couple years ago our interdenominational minister was fantastic.  He lectured on his book and not one person dropped out over the course of the 48 day cruise.  I am now teaching a series of Sunday School lessons based on the book.   I emailed him recently and he said the lines are not putting many of them aboard anymore.  Very glad to know EXC cruises are doing this as our next one is that type.

Thanks to the OP for the great report.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, HokiePoq said:

I am glad to hear this, too!  Very glad to know EXC cruises are doing this as our next one is that type.

Thanks to the OP for the great report.

Princess is good about simply advertising a time for many groups indicating there's no crew member as leader.  They simply allocate a time and space.   One of the best Christian groups we attended was on a 15 day Panama Canal when at the first meeting it was suggested that leadership be rotated voluntarily.  Excellent discussions were held on the basis of a passage chosen by the volunteer leader.  It was more informal of course than one lead by a staff clergy.

The frustrating thing about HAL's one notice is that many missed it judging from the large group who met on Sundays for the advertised Sunday interdenominational meeting.  But one notice is better than no notices.

Ruth

I was also on this cruise. My interests differ from Been there Planning That but I don't take issue with any of his comments. However, I am happy to report that chilled soups can be ordered the evening before. I had standing orders for chilled cucumber or gazpacho soup most nights. Our table steward told us we could do this when we asked why they were no longer available. It seems that many other items can be special ordered the night before. You just have to ask  and the table steward will confirm with the kitchen.  I normally do not take shore excursions but because many of the sites were so far from the ship with no regular or reliable public transportation, I took twelve, all booked from home. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality and complemented the Shore Excursions Manager. They were a big improvement from some that I took five years ago.  The EXC Guide, Jude, did also participate in the shore excursions talks, at least the ones that were shown on the TV. Last fall on the Westerdam, the EXC guides who were excellent, made it clear that they did not work with shore excursions but with the Entertainment Department. They would not comment on shore excursions. They also had wonderful interactive digital maps on a table in the Crow's Nest so they could pull up a map of the port showing all of the transit and tourist sites and explain how to get there. Hopefully this high tech assistance will come to all ships eventually.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, JOHN 57 said:

Could you post a copy of Where and When, which would be of great help  Thank you.

Sorry, I'm a general interest traveller.  I don't think either of us has ever taken a photo on board, other than a spectacular view from the ship.  I'm sure someone else will be able to help.

Ruth