Crown Grill Questions

cr8tiv1

I have several questions regarding the Crown Grill.  

1.  Since when...did they start charging you gratuity?  Make a reservation (pre-cruise) clearly states that "Price excludes gratuity".

2.  Has any one tried to make pre-reservations, paid, and then tried to transfer it to a gift voucher (and get refunded pre-payment)?

3.  It's been a long time since I've tried to make a reservation after getting on the ship.  It is easier to do on a longer voyage (15 day)?

4.  Any one remember what night is Italian?  This is my least favorite menu except for the Tiramisu.  

I know about the lobster surcharge (surf and turf).

Thanks for your answers.

Screen Shot 2019-03-06 at 2.36.49 PM.png

4 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

1.  Since when...did they start charging you gratuity?  Make a reservation (pre-cruise) clearly states that "Price excludes gratuity".   They don't charge the gratuity. It is up to you whether you want to tip. We always do.

2.  Has any one tried to make pre-reservations, paid, and then tried to transfer it to a gift voucher (and get refunded pre-payment)?  I would not take the chance of pre paying and then trying to swap it onboard. Why not just do it onboard?

3.  It's been a long time since I've tried to make a reservation after getting on the ship.  It is easier to do on a longer voyage (15 day)? Just go to the restaurant and make a reservation. Just don't wait too long to make it onboard. I think you are worrying too much about it.

4.  Any one remember what night is Italian?  This is my least favorite menu except for the Tiramisu.  

Thanks for your answers.

Thanks Colo Cruiser.  I do tend to worry too much about things out of my control.  Yes, I usually tip at the end also.  I have found that the best of the best are taking care of me in the Crown Grill.  I have run into difficulties booking a reservation at the time that I want.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Thanks Colo Cruiser.  I do tend to worry too much about things out of my control.  Yes, I usually tip at the end also.  I have found that the best of the best are taking care of me in the Crown Grill.  I have run into difficulties booking a reservation at the time that I want.

You are welcome.....I would head there as soon as you board and see the restaurant manager. 

If he/she is not there stop by about 5pm and they will take care of you.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/6/2019 at 1:45 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

1.  Since when...did they start charging you gratuity?  Make a reservation (pre-cruise) clearly states that "Price excludes gratuity".

2.  Has any one tried to make pre-reservations, paid, and then tried to transfer it to a gift voucher (and get refunded pre-payment)?

3.  It's been a long time since I've tried to make a reservation after getting on the ship.  It is easier to do on a longer voyage (15 day)?

Thanks for your answers.

Screen Shot 2019-03-06 at 2.36.49 PM.png

We made our reservations when we booked our cruise

Not sure which nite is Italian but I think we might have Octoberfest. 

You cannot count on when Italian night is, unless you know from someone recently cruised the same itinerary.  You can ask the MD when it is planned after you board and then you know.  Also, if you ask the mgr at CG or other specialty they may know the schedule as well.  I used to like the last night as a treat or Caribbean night, but now I am thinking it's a good way to avoid formal night in the DR.  

• Like 1

We always take advantage of the auto-tip.  There has often been discussion on this, one but whether I eat in the MDR or in the CG, our gratuity money goes into the pool.  All you will be billed is $29/pp.  There is no obligation nor need to tip more.  Some cruisers have posted in the past here that CG waiters have even said so.  Some cruisers always tip something extra.  I suppose that can even make fiscal sense, as well as a personal preference, in that tipping is usually done based on the value of the base invoice and a specialty meal has a higher value which the $29/pp upcharge represents.  That said, I sometimes tip something extra and also not.  Depends on what the service was like.

• Like 2

Another tip for you;  if you want to book the crown grill or another specialty venue; you can call the dine line from your stateroom phone.  They will work with you to find a booking time.  Or like mentioned above; you can stop by crown grill when you board and speak with the host or hostess about booking time. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, steelers36 said:

We always take advantage of the auto-tip.  There has often been discussion on this, one but whether I eat in the MDR or in the CG, our gratuity money goes into the pool.  All you will be billed is $29/pp.  There is no obligation nor need to tip more.  Some cruisers have posted in the past here that CG waiters have even said so.  Some cruisers always tip something extra.  I suppose that can even make fiscal sense, as well as a personal preference, in that tipping is usually done based on the value of the base invoice and a specialty meal has a higher value which the $29/pp upcharge represents.  That said, I sometimes tip something extra and also not.  Depends on what the service was like.

so, 'should' we tip in Sabatini's for breakfast as an included perk ?

what about for the Ultimate Balcony breakfast (comped) or Dinner ?

2 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

I usually tipped when I had breakfast in Sabatini's

since there is no 'price' attached to this - how did you figure how much to tip? -

if we tip at might in the CG - it's usually $10

voljeep,  if I am by myself I tip $2.00 for breakfast; if my wife is with me then $3-4.  Depends on service and how long we are there;  and how much service we received.  

8 hours ago, voljeep said:

so, 'should' we tip in Sabatini's for breakfast as an included perk ?

what about for the Ultimate Balcony breakfast (comped) or Dinner ?

Good question.  It has never occurred to me to tip anything extra if we decide to have breakfast in the NDR instead of the World Market.  I won't likely ever have the perk of Sabatini breakfast.  I think whatever folks are comfortable with for their own business is up to them.  The cruise line sets what tipping they think is appropriate and nothing more is expected but folks are always free to do more if they think warranted.  I would never consider removing tips as I think they are well deserved.

I have always had excellent service at the Crown Grill, and usually an excellent meal.  So I am feeling very mellow at the end of the meal, and I will normally leave some cash on the table -- $10 seems appropriate to me.  Yes, my auto-gratuity might include the tip for the meal, but I live in Vegas, where tipping is universal!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

Good question.  It has never occurred to me to tip anything extra if we decide to have breakfast in the NDR instead of the World Market.  I won't likely ever have the perk of Sabatini breakfast.  I think whatever folks are comfortable with for their own business is up to them.  The cruise line sets what tipping they think is appropriate and nothing more is expected but folks are always free to do more if they think warranted.  I would never consider removing tips as I think they are well deserved.

I think you mean MDR, not NDR. I don't really see people tipping in the MDR for breakfast, or lunch. I never have done this. But, maybe if you do arrive at breakfast the same time every day and get the same waiter which gets to know your preferences, then at the end of the voyage you could provide a tip. Many people do tip their dinner waiters extra when they have had the same ones for the entire cruise.

Crown grill on the Grand was woefully understaffed. They couldn’t use half the tables.. we finally got in but food was not great. Poor quality meat same bread and ice cream as the dining room. Save your money. The price has gone up and the quality has gone down. 

14 hours ago, steelers36 said:

None of the specialty restaurants have the tip included and never have.

It was an answer that was parroted here on CC over and over again that the tip was included for the specialty restaurants. It was for the benefit of those that hate to tip.

We have always tipped in these places and will continue to.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

None of the specialty restaurants have the tip included and never have.

It was an answer that was parroted here on CC over and over again that the tip was included for the specialty restaurants. It was for the benefit of those that hate to tip.

We have always tipped in these places and will continue to.

Don't disagree with you.  But wait staff there participate in the auto tip pool as in all dining venues.  It may be more accurate if it said no additional tip included.  ;)

6 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

Don't disagree with you.  But wait staff there participate in the auto tip pool as in all dining venues.  It may be more accurate if it said no additional tip included.  😉

I don't believe they are included. I don't think anybody will ever know what the truth is.

If they were included why would they make that statement in the fine print that a gratuity is not included?

Edited to ad, I guess they could be included but why would they make that statement that it's not? 

• Like 1

Too much guessing and not believing by many to base a decision on.  Maybe some day Princess will reveal the truth on all the hidden facts of the auto gratuity.  As far as we are concerned that is all we are tipping except for the room steward. Except for Room Setvice which we rarely use.

Edited by Potstech

1 hour ago, Colo Cruiser said:

I don't believe they are included. I don't think anybody will ever know what the truth is.

If they were included why would they make that statement in the fine print that a gratuity is not included?

Edited to ad, I guess they could be included but why would they make that statement that it's not? 

I have had this topic discussed on a ship at sometime in the past.  I forget which and when.  I believe the statement refers to the fact that there is no gratuity in the upcharge.  The upcharge is for the premium food offered.

The waiters in CG, for example, have a assignment there but do participate in the tip pool.  On two occasions we have dined in CG and had our MDR waiter serve us.

Edited by steelers36

On 3/6/2019 at 1:19 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

Not always "the best of the best". Our waiter on our last cruise was only adequate. We get better service in the MDR. Didn't leave an extra tip.

Note: it's an extra tip. They're in the tipping pool. I know this because we forgot to bring cash on one of our CG visits and the waiter heard us discussing it and said, " a tip is not necessary, don't worry about it".

Edited by JF - retired RRT
  • Like 1

Last month we ate in Crown Grill on CB.   The night we were there every 

table was full. There was plenty of waitstaff, bus staff and bar staff. We were served in reasonable time. It took 90 minutes.  We were not in hurry and like I mentioned it was a full load that night. 

• Like 2

We are spring loaded, or programmed if you will,  to feel compelled to add a tip if there is a blank line on a check for a tip. 

NEVER a sin to strike through that blank line or add a zero if that is your inclination. 

The Power of Suggestion is a strong motivator. Or so we are programmed to believe.