Traveling with Kids - Multiple Rooms

My wife and I have two rooms booked on SOTS, a balcony and inside stateroom.  The rooms are located across the hall from each other.  Our kids are 20 (40 days shy of 21), 18, and 14.  At the time of booking, our travel agent said RCCL would not allow the kids to be booked in a room together since none of them will be 21.  We ended up with my wife in the balcony with our 20 year old, and myself in the interior with the other two.  My question is whether there will be any logistical issues when we get onboard and I trade spots with the 20 year old. 🙂

No problem at all. It could have been booked as you wanted at the beginning but it requires a phone call which many TAs can’t be bothered doing. Actually, this way you can bring four bottles of wine onboard (two for each cabin with an adult in it) and if either you or your wife wants the alcohol package, you don’t both need to buy something. 

2 hours ago, cmihm said:

Awesome!  I kind of assumed so, but thought best to get some feedback.  Thanks for the reply!

Guest Services will either re-key your SeaPass card or give extra key cards to the guests that are switching rooms.

4 hours ago, gerif said:

No problem at all. It could have been booked as you wanted at the beginning but it requires a phone call which many TAs can’t be bothered doing. Actually, this way you can bring four bottles of wine onboard (two for each cabin with an adult in it) and if either you or your wife wants the alcohol package, you don’t both need to buy something. 

We will definitely take advantage of the 4 bottles of wine, and also the unlimited drink package.  I promise my wife won’t get even as much of a sip of one of my beverages! 😉

I think your TA was mistaken, or lazy. We were able to put our kids in their own rooms NEXT door or ACROSS  the hall without anyone 21 or over. Same on HAL. But, what's done, is done, so just change rooms when you are on board. Have fun and enjoy your cruise 😁

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/9/2019 at 1:59 PM, cmihm said:

My wife and I have two rooms booked on SOTS, a balcony and inside stateroom.  The rooms are located across the hall from each other.  Our kids are 20 (40 days shy of 21), 18, and 14.  At the time of booking, our travel agent said RCCL would not allow the kids to be booked in a room together since none of them will be 21.  We ended up with my wife in the balcony with our 20 year old, and myself in the interior with the other two.  My question is whether there will be any logistical issues when we get onboard and I trade spots with the 20 year old. 🙂

Only 3 of those

Edited by cruisinfanatic
  • Like 1

We have not had luck getting the kids across or next to us so I get booked with one and dad gets booked with the other two then onboard we go to guest services and they give us an extra key for each room that says extra key with the main person in the cabin name on it.  We don't take wine on because hubby gets lots of free bottles onboard and we both get the drink package so it doesn't help us in those ways.  It really isn't a big deal as long as your kids are well behaved but yes they are allowed in a cabin across from or next to you when booking.

I have always booked my kids next door or across the hall. When they were little it was adjoining rooms. this next cruise they are in an interior and we are across the hall in a balcony. Royal allows this as long as you are within 3 doors of each other.

On 4/20/2019 at 4:22 PM, matj2000 said:

Yes it figures, and it has worked out very well..

This might be an acurate discription of how you parent.   

But not me...…..

helicopterparent.png

On 4/20/2019 at 4:22 PM, matj2000 said:

Yes it figures, and it has worked out very well..

This might be an acurate discription of how you parent.   

But not me...…..

helicopterparent.png

Nope...Sorry, my children are probably older than you, little Matty, and your very clever depiction of a helicopter parent was not even a known concept when I was raising my kids,  Nice try, though!   🙂

It won't be a problem to just get a couple of additional cards made. One for your 20 year old for the inside room and 1 for you for the balcony. Only issue is that both of you will have 2 cards as 1 will be your id/room card and the other, just a room key.  I know in the past with 2 cards, that I had to be careful to keep the 2 cards separate as the magnetic strip in one of the  cards would get corrupted and would stop working. I would have both on a lanyard. That happened a couple of times but that was a few years ago mind you. Not sure if this is an issue to be concerned about anymore.  

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 1:59 PM, cmihm said:

Some will say you need to go to Guest Services once you board the ship to make the switch. We have had to move people around in cabins twice and both times we did it on the pier at check-in. Just tell the agent who is going to be in which cabin and they'll make the change for you. No need to carry two Sea Pass cards around with you.