Who buys trip insurance?

doccide

Yes I do, one never know when something goes wrong.  I bothers me when people don't buy it, and after they need to cancel think Regent or any other cruise line refund their money.  Being truthful, once I'm on the ship I think to my why did I buy it, but I recall the 2 times we had to use it---so I think it's something you need.  After all a lot of us have home, auto insurance, have never used it-but keep buying it.  Because the time you need it, it becomes very important.

• Like 2

Yes, we always buy cruise insurance. We came close to using it once, but a few days of bed rest on board, a wheelchair borrowed from the shipboard medical facility, and 125 dollars for the visit got us past a back problem that was aggravated by a bumpy ride on a shore excursion. We've encountered  a number of people who have lost their whole cruise, and needed to be flown home due to injuries. They were happy they had insurance, and they were back for another try. We haven't encountered anyone who had this type of story and didn't have insurance. Maybe they didn't have insurance and didn't cruise again.

We always do for cruises and we even get preexisting coverage.  Yes, it is costly but  I have aggressive  RA with powerful medications so without it, just about anything could be chalked up to preexisting.  Also, have elderly Dad with Alzheimer’s.  When you go on Medicare it is important for adequate medical coverage out of United States...this is recent for us and was important for us to know. 

It really has to do with age in many cases.  At certain ages, you may as well buy two cruises as the costs are as high as the cruise.  It also depends upon the insurance that you have.  Does it cover hospitalization/treatment in foreign countries.  If you do have this medical coverage, evacuation insurance would suffice (and it is much less expensive).  This is 

We started taking cruise insurance due to a pre existing condition. I consider it part of the cost of the cruise, and pay for it when deposits are made.  Have heard many stories of passengers not thinking its necessary, then have the unexpected situations happen.

For us, this is a small cost to have the peace of mind when traveling, especially when the cruise is a year away. 

We have evucatuation insurance...but you must first be admitted to hospital.  Then you have the processing time to get evacuated...it’s not like it is instantaneous.  Hospital costs even for 24 hours can be shocking. 

I think it's more than age and health.  Accidents happen---and don't forget a ships doctors has the right to remove you from the ship at any time if they think and believe it's in your best interest to be in a hospital or in need of an MRI etc---It happen to us once a while back.  Lucky for us they did another blood test before we docked and everything was OK.  If not we were told we'd need a signed statement from a Doctor it was OK to come back on the ship.

We have an annual policy (cost is roughly $250 US) which covers us for trip cancellation of any kind, anywhere in the world, up to $120k per event due to illness (one of us or a family member), robbery at our house preventing us from leaving for the trip, loosing one's job just prior etc.  (That doesn't apply to us because we are too old to work anyway!).  On the trip it covers any emergency medical treatment, translators, and if needed repatriation to Switzerland.   I can't imagine a situation that it wouldn't cover EXCEPT - and I checked this out once! - missing a flight because of a snowstorm!!   We get this through the Touring Club.  Maybe the AAA has something similar?

10 hours ago, captjohn said:

No, we have never purchased insurance. We could take several cruises with the money saved. That being said we are in good health now but there could come a day when insurance makes sense.

John - so you’re in good health “now” - are you confident you can pin point when you won’t be? If you’re on your cruise when you do - or if I’ll health causes a last minute cancellation then the state of your health right now is meaningless 

Interestingly health status can change in the blink of an eye - and doesn’t always let you know when a change is coming 

I would never contemplate a cruise without Travel Insurance that includes good medical and cancellation cover

16 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

I would never contemplate a cruise without Travel Insurance that includes good medical and cancellation cover

Stickman1990 took the words right out of my mouth.

I had to do a double take at the title of the OP post - I thought it should be reading 'Who DOESN'T buy trip insurance'. I always - incorrectly it seems - thought that the vast majority of cruise travellers would always have health/cancellation insurance.

Whilst recognising that one's country of residence can make a difference to requirements I wouldn't dream of taking a long haul trip - on land or sea - without adequate medical cover.  I have read many horror stories of people needing emergency treatment when on a  trip - for a heart issue for example - and the final bill for the treatment nearly bankrupts them ! 

OK, as a Brit I don't need medical insurance cover when travelling in Europe as we have a reciprocal arrangement for medical cover with these countries (this may change with Brexit !!). I'm also assuming that US travellers cruising the Caribbean may feel that they can get back home in the event of an emergency. Or maybe certain persons hold medical cover that covers them beyond their home country.    

But for us, travelling long haul without adequate medical cover is a real no-no. As others have said we just in our minds include it as part of the cost of the cruise.      

• Like 3

Yes we do. You never know what may occur.

Four years ago on a B2B Regent trip , I was unwell visited the ships Doctor had intravenous antibiotics and was monitored a couple of times with a blood test, excellent medical service given but this mounted up to nearly £3000-00 ($4k US ). this was fully paid by my UK insurance with support from UK GP, as not prior condition, only paid excess  £100.  Without this insurance to cover the Bill might have struggled to recover without a Heart Attack  !!! as cost was over 12% of cruise cost , the annual premium on my insurance was £85 at time ( Because of this has now increased to £125, but still cheap )

UK cruisers beware onboard medical costs ( US prices) and I was not hospitalised on had a major limb break etc

I would not advise travel without insurance, even a minor need to consult the Doc will cost a lot.

Two years ago my husband had a gallbladder attack and needed surgery. This was 2 weeks before a cruise from Japan to Singapore. The surgeon said he was OK to go but we cancelled anyway. One week later he had a terrible infection and we were so glad we had cancelled. Got all our money back. Just last month we were on a cruise from Hong Kong to Hong Kong (28 days) and on the 4th day my husband got a little cut from a pool chair and put a band aid on it. After 2 days redness appeared and then he developed an infection of his leg. He was on IV antibiotics and required a sonogram when we got to Singapore. (He's a retired doctor and was so aggravated with himself for not treating the small wound with antibiotic ointment at the time of the cut). So glad we had the insurance!! Will never travel without it.

We are another pair of Brits who would never contemplate travelling overseas without adequate cancellation insurance (in place at time of booking) and medical insurance.

As someone said earlier there is no knowing when misfortune may strike, either to us as the travellers or to loved ones at home (requiring cancellation or curtailment)

However, it does appear that the insurance premiums charged in Europe are a fraction of those charged in the USA.

3 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

John - so you’re in good health “now” - are you confident you can pin point when you won’t be? If you’re on your cruise when you do - or if I’ll health causes a last minute cancellation then the state of your health right now is meaningless 

Interestingly health status can change in the blink of an eye - and doesn’t always let you know when a change is coming 

Of course we have medical insurance. I thought the question was about trip cancelation insurance. But thank you for the advice.

Insurance is terribly expensive as one ages.   (I use Trip Insurance Store to purchase.)    My husband turns 89 on our May cruise; I'm 75.    Insurance costs us close to $5,000.   We buy it, though it's stunning to realize that $5,000 is about what it cost us per person for the whole cruise when we first starting cruising Regent (Radisson).    We don't have evacuation insurance though I know that a number of people do.

We have purchased comprehensive trip insurance for our cruises for many years.  Initially it was to present a problem if we had to cancel a cruise because of my, or my husband's) employment.  We never used it until one cruise leaving out of Athens, when all of our luggage went missing for five days.  The cruise line did what they could, but in the end we filed for everything we needed to buy to replace what was missing.  For all of you younger cruisers, remember that things can happen to your parents or children.  Friends of ours were book on a New Year's cruise with us as a family.  A week before the cruise their son had a serious fall and broke his elbow.  The surgeon said no travel.  They had no trip insurance.  The cruise line initially said no refund, but ultimately gave them back part of their fare.  They learned their lesson.  I'm just saying...

There are two types of insurance.  One pays for the lost trip.   The other pays for medical and transportation expenses.  You can buy this through Regent's insurance provider or you can buy this from an insurance company that writes these policies.  

As a U.S. citizen, I don't purchase the Regent sponsored insurance.  It's way too expensive.  As the middle man, Regent gets a cut.  That comes out of my pocket.  If I had a serious medical issue I would consider the Regent policy as the underwriting requirements aren't as stringent.  You pay for that.  

What do I purchase?  I purchase only medical and evacuation coverage.  As I get older, my trips get longer and more expensive, I suspect that I will start insuring the trip, too.

I went on line and searched travel insurance.  There were two or three brokers that advertise on line.  I submitted a brief application with one and an agent called me.  We custom designed my coverage based on what I thought I would need and nothing more.  She provided some assistance and advice.  I got good medical coverage and plenty of money for air evacuation coverage.  One of Warren Buffet's companies underwrote the policy.  I figured he was good for it if I made a claim.  The cost difference between Regent and this company was significant.  Plus, I got coverage for my priorities.   

All it takes is a slip and fall.  Cruise ship medical facilities are designed to provide basic services and get you to a shore side facility asap.  They will off load you and sail away without looking back.  Out of sight and out of mind.  These shore facilities are often questionable and located in remote parts of the world.  I want to be stabilized and evacuated.  That's expensive.  Thus, the evacuation coverage.  I know people who were otherwise healthy that ended up using it.

Good piece of information that I learned from the ship's staff last trip.  Every port a cruise line visits has a port agent.  If you get left behind or are off-loaded, get this name, address and number.  This is your go to contact.  They will help you get to where you need to go.   Good thing to know if you miss the ship. 

• Like 1

To cover medical and other related costs, we subscribe to Medjet, the Horizon level. This provides a high level of coverage for medical, evacuation and transport to facility of choice via jet or whatever transport is appropriate, as well as repatriation of remains🥺. Can’t beat the price for two persons — is about $550 per year. The trip cancellation is covered by our various credit cards.