Question on bringing wine onboard.

HMSDingy

Unless I'm mistaken, I read somewhere that we are allowed to bring one bottle per passenger and pay the corkage fee.  What if I want to keep the bottles in my cabin and consume them there?  Do I still have to pay the corkage fee? I will bering my own corkscrew.

Edited by HMSDingy

We were on the NS last week.  We noticed that a cork screw was now provided in the stateroom.  We brought one with us as last year no corkscrew in the cabin and we bought one on shore.  Don't know if other ships provide them.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HMSDingy said:

Unless I'm mistaken, I read somewhere that we are allowed to bring one bottle per passenger and pay the corkage fee.  What if I want to keep the bottles in my cabin and consume them there?  Do I still have to pay the corkage fee? I will bering my own corkscrew.

You may bring as many bottles of wine on board as you want; you are not limited to bringing only one bottle with you. You may even bring more bottles on board from ports.
One bottle from initial embarkation will be corkage free, and will remain corkage free so long as you drink it in your cabin. The remaining bottles have the fee regardless of whether you drink it in your cabin or take it to public areas.
If you take a HAL winery tour, you may also bring aboard a bottle from that tour corkage free, again, so long as it's consumed in your cabin.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Don't know if you are leaving out of Tampa but we were able to waltz through with all 14 bottles we had brought to drink in the MDR and specialty restaurants.  We were there around 10 am and the wine steward had not set up his table so the security lady waved us through.   It was a true windfall as we dined in the MDR and specialty restaurants 5 times. The remainder we dined on our balcony so we only had to pay corkage for the 5 we brought to the dining room.  They weren't stickered so we had to pay corkage for them.   I wonder if on other ships is the wine steward there at his wine check in table.  This is the first time we have had this good luck.  Perhaps early was the trick. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ottahand7 said:

Don't know if you are leaving out of Tampa but we were able to waltz through with all 14 bottles we had brought to drink in the MDR and specialty restaurants.  We were there around 10 am and the wine steward had not set up his table so the security lady waved us through.   It was a true windfall as we dined in the MDR and specialty restaurants 5 times. The remainder we dined on our balcony so we only had to pay corkage for the 5 we brought to the dining room.  They weren't stickered so we had to pay corkage for them.   I wonder if on other ships is the wine steward there at his wine check in table.  This is the first time we have had this good luck.  Perhaps early was the trick. 

Lucky you!

I have never avoided corkage nor had the luck to.  Port Everglades is a different set up so they don’t even need the wine steward to collect the fee.

In Europe, I’ve found them very efficient and we’ve paid every time.  We don’t seem to have the luck of the Irish in that regard, but it’s fine - I know the rules and am prepared to pay.  Just a tad jealous of your luck and some others that have not had to 😉 😄 

On 3/17/2019 at 10:27 AM, RuthC said:

You may bring as many bottles of wine on board as you want; you are not limited to bringing only one bottle with you. You may even bring more bottles on board from ports.
One bottle from initial embarkation will be corkage free, and will remain corkage free so long as you drink it in your cabin. The remaining bottles have the fee regardless of whether you drink it in your cabin or take it to public areas.
If you take a HAL winery tour, you may also bring aboard a bottle from that tour corkage free, again, so long as it's consumed in your cabin.

You mentioned that one bottle is corkage free.  Would that be one bottle per person or per cabin?

On 3/18/2019 at 1:12 PM, ottahand7 said:

I thought they put a sticker on each bottle to show corkage was paid. I would expect the corkage to be charged in the dining room. 

On 3/24/2019 at 10:21 PM, john2003 said:

I thought they put a sticker on each bottle to show corkage was paid. I would expect the corkage to be charged in the dining room. 

I have had that done every cruise before last month.   No one was set up to charge for the stickers and security waved us through.  It was simply a stroke of good luck. 

On 3/18/2019 at 3:12 PM, ottahand7 said:

You need to be familiar with the rules and insist upon your rights.

We had quite the hassle when we arrived early to board at FLL about a year ago. 

The wine table wasn't set up when we arrived.

Security tried to tell us we couldn't take more than one bottle per person, that we'd have to abandon the wine.

Security tried to tell us we'd have to leave the wine at the table for later delivery.

Finally security allowed us to leave our cabin number and number of bottles corkage to be billed later.  Stickers to be delivered to cabin.

I had to go to customer service on the second day to inquire about my stickers.  They arranged for the stickers to be delivered to my cabin.  

We truly lucked out.  We dined in the cabin room service so much that we had 6 bottles that were not charged for that should have.  Each time we went to a dining room they saw we were unstickered and were automatically charged the $18 no question about why no sticker.   

16 minutes ago, Baileybasset said:

If I am traveling solo and paying a single supplement, am I allowed to bring two wine bottles on board for free?

Sadly, no, you aren't.

Solos are two people when it benefits HAL, but only one person when it's to the passenger's advantage.
It's unfair living in a Noah's Ark world.

• Haha 1