Did I just make a big mistake in booking this cruise & room on whim?

SempreMare

After not cruising for 11 years I got the itch to see Alaska and just booked this room on whim.

I booked:   

Westerdam Neptune Suite on corner left 

Aft balcony room 4180, left side since the ship heads south

One concern from this YouTube about this specific suite.  That window washing equipment just outside the balcony looks HUGE.

Does it stay parked there the entire cruise unless it's washing windows?

Edited by SempreMare
  • Like 1

Consider that almost every other balcony view will be a tiny fraction of yours and will be blocked by partitions as well as uni-directional.  If you changed to one of those rooms you would have WAY less of a view.  You can walk all around while the others can only lean out.  Enjoy your cruise!  That balcony will be amazing.

• Like 3

See if you can change your cabin to the deck 5 aft-corner.  MUCH larger balcony.  We ha the deck 4 once and the window washing equipment was there all the time but was on the side and really did not bother us.

• Like 1

Unless you get the same stateroom on the port side, you can always switch to another Neptune suite and just have a smaller verandah, book-ended by another barrier.  You have a full curved verandah, much larger than any other Neptune suite.  I'd call that a win.  If you really think you'd hate looking at the equipment, then change staterooms.  Personally, I'd keep it and enjoy the extra space.

• Like 1

1st of all, you never go wrong booking a cruise and never booking a NS, and a wrap around aft, is my favorite cabin always my first choice. I am in 4180 on the Zuiderdam in 2 weeks. Enjoy your cruise, John

• Like 1

There are no windows looking out that direction, so you'd have to stand behind the machine to have it block your view. Yes some other decks have larger balconies, but this certainly has a much better view than most NSs!

• Like 1

Bonus feature with this cabin choice - you will now be first in line to get your windows and glass paneling cleaned - saltwater spray does make them fuzzy.

Edited by OlsSalt
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Thank you all so much for your thoughtful replies.

9 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Was this the only NS available? I agree the deck is huge and it shouldn't impact the view. Enjoy your cruise, you have a fine NS.

No - but it was the only left side, aft cabin available.

1 hour ago, twodjs said:

There are no windows looking out that direction, so you'd have to stand behind the machine to have it block your view. Yes some other decks have larger balconies, but this certainly has a much better view than most NSs!

Really?  Odd that there are no windows looking out in that direction. 

What wall in the room is that side view?  My headboard?    The room is layed out differently then I had it pictured in my head.  

I am very appreciative of the person who posted the video of that room specifically,  but I really wished she had slowed down all the herky jerky video motions.  Even with that video it's hard to realize what you are saying.

ps:  I had so much fun in your town Port Angeles last summer! 

looks like the Multi-quote reply feature limits me to 2 quotes..

1 hour ago, SempreMare said:

What wall in the room is that side view?  My headboard?    The room is layed out differently then I had it pictured in my head.  

That's it, exactly.  When you go out on the balcony, the window washing equipment is to the right.   There is a wraparound portion that is between the cabin wall and the railing.  Your headboard is against that cabin wall on the inside.

• Thanks 1

Wow thank you @Rowsby ! 

Those pics, especially that last one, and all these replies help put me at ease, though I certainly wish it weren't there.

Maybe I will encourage my new friends on the cruise to call in requests for their windows and balcony glass to be cleaned  :classic_biggrin: :classic_biggrin: :classic_biggrin:.

I wonder if those are post-renovation pictures? 

8 minutes ago, SempreMare said:

I wonder if those are post-renovation pictures? 

You are right.....I double-checked and the pictures were taken in November 2011.....and the deck furniture probably has been updated....:)

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, SempreMare said:

Odd that there are no windows looking out in that direction. 

ps:  I had so much fun in your town Port Angeles last summer! 

Yes, one picture posted clearly shows no window on the port side and as someone else mentioned, that is the wall with the headboard. Probably designed that way because of the window washing equipment parked there. Otherwise, maybe they could have flipped the room around to provide a view out a port side window while sitting in bed.

Thanks for the Port Angeles, Washington plug! Glad you had a good time. We LOVE it here and have the adding thrill of seeing all the cruise ships pass by each weekend during the summer after they leave Seattle on their way to Alaska! 

While deck 4 aft-wrap is great, even better are the deck 5 (5190 and 5191) ones.  These cabins are fully covered and have HUGE (can hold 40 plus people) balconies - this is true as we have done it!  Deck 4 aft-wraps are mostly exposed to the sun and we could see most of it from our deck 5 balcony.

You thought on getting a port side is a good one, but I would take a starboard side deck 5 over a port side deck 4.

Just my opinion.

• Like 2

The above information is correct. The rear deck is huge and the side deck is just a bonus.  

Here are a couple additional pictures of the Westerdam.  The 1st is of the port side rear of the ship. You can see the window washing platform along side cabin 4180.  The 2nd is the same platform in the stowed position.  You can decide if it bothers you.

I’d be more concerned about having a NS so far from Deck 7, all the supplies and services for your suite are up on deck 7.  As well there are only 2 suites on this deck, so the steward is not used to serving suite passengers.

Additionally the stern SB suites are narrower than the SA cabins on Deck 7.  The rooms are less spacious feeling, BUT (and it’s a big but) you get that huge balcony and special view of the window washing platform.  🙂