Unwelcomed on Princess if solo wanting interior room

Oceansaway17

Oh yes I am fuming and it is not right to treat solos this way in my opinion.

I called about a cruise out of Southampton UK for 2 weeks trip to Norway and Iceland for July 2019.

Their interior rooms that are available are just not available to a solo traveler.  Nothing the agent could do.  hmm really.

So when you call and they thank you for your business, eventually you just might find out how thankful they ARE NOT.  I mean a solo pays double anyways so it makes no sense.

Oh and of course always with Princess, their hotel packages for London are never available.  They seem to book less that other lines and never have them even for a year out,

So with their mean policies and issues with London hotels, I will give up on this cruise line.  

I hope those interior rooms stay empty and would serve them right for losing money.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I called about a cruise out of Southampton UK for 2 weeks trip to Norway and Iceland for July 2019.

Their interior rooms that are available are just not available to a solo traveler.  Nothing the agent could do.  hmm really.

So when you call and they thank you for your business, eventually you just might find out how thankful they ARE NOT.  I mean a solo pays double anyways so it makes no sense.

Oh and of course always with Princess, their hotel packages for London are never available.  They seem to book less that other lines and never have them even for a year out,

So with their mean policies and issues with London hotels, I will give up on this cruise line.  

I hope those interior rooms stay empty and would serve them right for losing money.  

Considering the amount of revenue that the mainstream cruise lines make from onboard spend, even at double fare the cruise line loses money compared to having two people per cabin.

For example if cruise fare is X  then with two people in cabin the revenue calculation is 2(X+.25X)= 2.5 X  with a single the revenue calculation is 2X+.25X = 2.25X.  Basically 9% lower revenue for a solo vs double cabin. That 9% is pretty much equivalent to a cruise lines profit margin in good times.  Thus the limit on single cabin sales.    

1 minute ago, chengkp75 said:

Note that the OP stated "interior cabins available".  They may be down to only interiors that hold 3/4 persons, and don't want to sell that to a single.  The cruise is only a few months away.

Thats why I said book the number they require and cancel the extra passengers at some point.

It is done more often then some think.  

56 minutes ago, skynight said:

Never heard of this. But, realize a solo in a cabin pays for two fares with port charges for one. Solos get 2 cruise credits. 

As someone who cruises solo, I could care less about 2 cruise credits. I was Elite before this started and the benefits don't out weigh the cost of paying for 2 in Europe.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I have done what has been suggested. Booked a Mrs. and had her removed after final payment. The first time my travel agent did it without my knowledge to make the booking and I noticed it later on the booking confirmation. She then explained that was the only way to book a solo in my category.  Was done after that a couple of other times. There were no problems as a result. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

OP - I booked a Baltic Heritage cruise as a solo in May 2018 for this coming May 2019 b2b with a Norwegian Fjords cruise. I was waitlisted for the Princess pre-cruise two night hotel package in London in May 2018, a full year in advance. I waitlisted and finally cleared the waitlist in February 2019 right before final payment. I was told by my Princess Vacation Planner that there are spaces held by TA’s which eventually have to be released if not sold to their clients and that is the reason why I was waitlisted. 

My Baltic Heritage cruise is now completely sold out and interiors and ocean views are sold out for my Norwegian Fjords cruise.

Call Princess back and request a Princess Vacation Planner to assist you (mine helped me immensely in planning my two cruises and all the logistics).  If you are told no interiors are available for singles, ask her/him to speak with a supervisor to request that a cabin be moved out of inventory for you. Exceptions sometimes can be made.

Wishing you all the best.

As others have said, book the cabins in two names and instead of cancelling the other person they simply just do not turn up on boarding day.

I recently went on a cruise from Sydney to Brisbane on the Sun Princess. At the check in counter ashore I was talking to the girl next to me and she was on her own and had booked with a friend. The friend got sick and could not go so she mentioned this at check in and all was fine. No drama, no big deal and allowed to board.

At least if you keep the other name on it does not look like you are trying to circumvent their system by cancelling one member out otherwise they may cancel the whole cabin if this is policy.

I am on this cruise and have been tracking rooms as I would rally like to upgrade from an obstructed view to a balcony. Cruise is almost sold out except insides of which there are plenty. Only 5 balconies left at an increase pp of about 2k. Not interested in paying that so waiting until  after the final payment when my travel agent says 25% could not pay. If you wait. Until May 1, you might see availability. Very expensive cruise. Only 1 doing this itinerary this year.  Supply and demand. ☹️Good luck. 

2 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

I am on this cruise and have been tracking rooms as I would rally like to upgrade from an obstructed view to a balcony. Cruise is almost sold out except insides of which there are plenty. Only 5 balconies left at an increase pp of about 2k. Not interested in paying that so waiting until  after the final payment when my travel agent says 25% could not pay. If you wait. Until May 1, you might see availability. Very expensive cruise. Only 1 doing this itinerary this year.  Supply and demand. ☹️Good luck. 

What you are describing is not an accurate way to figure inventory on any given cruise.

Princess can have a ton of cabins behind the scenes even though it only shows a few online.

kind thanks for those that understood.

The web site would not let me proceed  AT ALL.

And NO it is not a good idea to book 2 people and then back out.  There was an issue with hotels as well.

If you want a cruise line that can get plenty of rooms for London, use Celebrity of Disney.

I am unsure why Princess has issues with hotels.

But as another side story, for a RCI cruise I could get the cruise but the agent could not book me a single occupancy room for Holiday Inn in Kensington London.  However, their sister cruise line Celebrity (yea) could and has me booked for the same hotel for this coming fall.  I asked them why and they said each company has different experiences.

Lesson learned today for me who travels and has for 25 years, today was the day 2 perfect cruises I wanted did not allow for single cabin pricing or single hotel room pricing.

In this busy world I felt let down by Princess and RCI.  however my advice to others who might read this, Celebrity and Disney will handle things very nicely for solos.

I have no ill feelings toward Princess but if you are listening, GET YOU ACT together for hotel rooms in London because it makes no sense when other cruise lines have no issues.  Must be Princess can not bargain or deal correctly.

thanks all.

14 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

And NO it is not a good idea to book 2 people and then back out.  There was an issue with hotels as well.

If you want a cruise line that can get plenty of rooms for London, use Celebrity of Disney.

Try a travel agent. Hotels, I never book thru the cruise line. Less expensive to book those yourself. You are never going to get a good deal booking a hotel thru a cruise line. All I booked with Princess my last cruise out of Southampton was their transfer from London to Southhampton. Booked my own hotel.

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

kind thanks for those that understood.

Not sure what you mean by those who understood you? Who didn't?

Whether you like it or not as far as booking the cabin that way it is done all the time.

Everybody was trying to help. No need for the curt response.

It is a 40% off sale based on two persons so I guess that is why they won't allow solo booking. The only workaround probably is booking two in the cabin as many have suggested. I can understand being uncomfortable doing that, I was the first time but I had a long time travel agent who owned a large agency and I knew that she knew what she was doing. Unfortunately if you won't book two people, which I fully understand it being outside your comfort level you are probably out of luck with this sale. Maybe when the 40% sales ends at the end of April there will be cabins left that they will sell you.  

I have had the same thing as you are experiencing happen a couple of times trying to book a cabin solo on Celebrity that was on sale. They would not let me book the sale as a solo.

12 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

But as another side story, for a RCI cruise I could get the cruise but the agent could not book me a single occupancy room for Holiday Inn in Kensington London.  However, their sister cruise line Celebrity (yea) could and has me booked for the same hotel for this coming fall.  I asked them why and they said each company has different experiences.

Hotel rooms, even in Europe, usually charge the same for one person or two persons. Seems odd it would make a difference when booking through the cruise lines.

However, in general booking the same hotel directly with the hotel instead of through the cruise line oftn results in a lower rate, even when you have to add on the cost of airport-to-hotel and hotel-to-ship.

• Like 1