Hong Kong Areas and Hotels

Newbury newbie

The cruise port is in Kowloon and so is the main train terminus to/from the airport. There's so much to see and do in Hong Kong 2 days will greatly limit your sightseeing, but there's the Peak Tram, Aberdeen and Stanley Market on Hong Kong Island. Star Ferry, Ladies Market, Temple Street Market, the Peninsular Hotel, the Night Light Spectacular and Nathan Road on Kowloon. And then there's Lantau Island with its Big Buddha, and the walks and ancient cities of the New Territories. Take a look here and plan what you'd like to fit in http://www.discoverhongkong.com/au/see-do/index.jsp

If you choose to stay in Kowloon we can highly recommend the Holiday Inn Golden Mile. It's mid priced, right on Nathan Road Kowloon and it has the most amazing breakfast you won't go hungry. It's directly opposite a fully stocked expat supermarket and the entrance to the MTR. And, it's a quick taxi to the port.

Edited by sailco

Been to HK various times and usually extend cruises friends live there.One thing the rooms are small as space is valuable in HK

We have stayed at the Kowloon Hotel behind the Peninsula also its sister hotel on the island, stayed in Harbour Grand for a wedding . Park Hotel about 6 years ago.

Have you asked Celebrity for prices as they usually have a selection at various prices --I have just done a dummy booking and prices are not bad for 2 nights next Feb.

Liz

Go to the Ports of Call Board there is a plethora of information, not just from X cruisers. We got some excellent tips from CCs over on that board (together with videos), including the best transport passes to purchase etc. They also advised on Singapore (which I’m presuming is also on your itinerary) 😉.

Couple of options........

Shangri La Kowloon, book a room with views over the harbour, absolutely sensational. Downside it can be a little expensive, but if only couple of nights it is doable.

other option is the Royal Garden. It is immediately behind Shangri La, so views no5 son good. We stayed there last month and I couldn’t fault it. Cheaper than the Shangri La though.

both are in great location for accessing tourist areas or MRT and a very short taxi ride to cruise terminal.

We stayed at the Shanghai-La Kowloon following a 14 night cruise. We stayed 3 nights and we should have added another couple of nights. Hong Kong is fabulous with lots to do and see. The staff at the Shanghai-La was outstanding, although the hotel is a bit pricey, but worth the extra $$. Try to prearrange your ride to the airport as it is quite a distance from the center of HK and the airport is HUGE so be sure to allow sufficient time to get there.

Whatever you decide, just enjoy!

Larry

7 hours ago, sailco said:

If you choose to stay in Kowloon we can highly recommend the Holiday Inn Golden Mile. It's mid priced, right on Nathan Road Kowloon and it has the most amazing breakfast you won't go hungry. It's directly opposite a fully stocked expat supermarket and the entrance to the MTR. And, it's a quick taxi to the port.

I second that. We've stayed there 3 times, before/after cruises, and recommended it to friends/family, who were also very satisfied.

We also took the bus A21 from the airport, which has a stop right in front the hotel. Very convenient if you don't have heavy luggage.

Another recommendation for the Harbour Grand. We have stayed there twice.  Stunning views of Hong Kong Harbour.   Steps away from a Star Ferry terminal too.   In a more residential area - which gives you a different perspective.  They also have a shuttle to the Kowloon area that drops off right by the Peninsula Hotel.

Joe

11 hours ago, Newbury newbie said:

We’ll be flying into Hong Kong to join our cruise next Feb. Was thinking of staying 2 nights in a hotel before embarking. Looking for advice on the best areas to stay and some recommended hotels. 

Thanks all. 

It depends on what you are looking for out of your trip and a hotel and your budget.  HK is a pretty easy city to get around with metro, so you don't have to be too tied to any area, and I am guessing you are going to taxi to the cruise terminal anyway so you don't need to be super restricted to area.

Also depends on what you are looking for in a hotel.  In any event, another vote for something in the TST (tsim sha tsui) area. Tons of hotels there, convenient free shuttles that cover most of the area from the airport. Pretty sure you can find one for your budget and tastes.  the W and Ritz are nice but a little isolated from the rest of TST. 

TST is slightly more modern but it is across in kowloon and definitely has a different feel than the other side, HK proper.

Budget is an important factor for hotels.

Three best areas IMO - Honk Kong Island either in Central or Admiralty.  Alternatively Kowloon in Tsim Sha Tsui.

If you can afford it I think Hong Kong is one of the best, if not the best, cities in the world to splurge.  There are several hotels that are are truly world class.  

For old school luxury in Central I think the Mandarin Oriental (not the Landmark) takes some beating.  In Kowloon you have the famous Peninsula Hotel. In Admiralty you have the Island Shangri La.

A slight notch down but still 5 star luxury - in Kowloon, the Kowloon Shangri La with excellent large Harbour View Rooms. There's also the Intercontinental (Not the Grand Standford Intercontinental) although that is die to close for a rebranding and refurb soon.

I'd personally be wary of the Ritz Carlton - yes it's the 4th tallest hotel in the world but it is in a slightly odd location.

Other notable hotels that I've heard are great but I'm less familiar with in Central - The Landmark Mandarin Oriental ad Four Seasons.  In Admiralty, The Upper House or one notch down The Conrad.  In Kowloon, The Langham.

Stayed at the hyatt Regency, Kowloon, before and after cruise on  millenium.  It was fabulous.  We arrived early and were in our room by 9 am. Got a nice upgrade to a club lounge room on 26 th floor.  Room was gorgeous with breathtaking views of Hong Kong. Everyone was helpful. Location was ideal.... Above 2 metro lines, a beautiful vertical mall with nice boutiques and restaurants, sky deck with an outdoor park and pool, and lots of museums, parks, etc. within walking distance. Room included at free Handy phone, smartphone. Took it everywhere getting nice discounts, used GPS, and was able to make calls to US free. Bought an octopus card and  went sightseeing on our own. It was easy, clean, safe, and cheap. Hong Kong has lots of interesting venues. Loved Lantau Island and Big Budda. Stanley was a pleasant place to shop and eat.  Hong Kong history museum was free and fantastic. Jade market, Ladies market, and night markets are fun. Food in Hong Kong  was amazing. Hong Kong is wonderful. Have fun.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DYKWIA said:

I'd personally be wary of the Ritz Carlton - yes it's the 4th tallest hotel in the world but it is in a slightly odd location.

Hi, 

In March 2017, I spent two nights at the Ritz-Carlton in Hong Kong prior to a cruise on the Queen Mary 2. The hotel was excellent and the harbor view from my room on the 116th floor was truly spectacular. For me, this made up for the hotel's location. 

I agree with the posts above that Hong Kong is a wonderful city. I am planning a return visit next year. 

Chuck

Edited by seacruise9

I recommend taking the century old tram running between the west and east sides of the Hong Kong Island both in the day time and in the evening. It is so cheap that you can get off anytime when you see something interesting and get back on and pay again. It goes is a slow speed that you can really enjoy the view of the city streets.

Thanks to everyone for the replies and invaluable advice. 

Another question. Millie will be berthed in Hong Kong over night after embarkation and leaves at 8.00pm. Would we see the light show from where she’s berthed on the first night? And I presume we could be sailing away when they’re on, on the next day? 

You would possibly see the lights from the cruise terminal when berthed, but you would be further away. Obviously you wouldn’t be able to hear the accompanying music.

not likely to get a good view on sail away since you go in opposite direction from Victoria Harbour or at least we did when we sailed from there. 

We stayed at the Royal Pacific in Tsim Sha Tsui on Kowloon side last month pre and post our Cunard cruise. We had a harbor view room and could see the light show from our bedroom. The room was huge with very large bathroom with Dual sinks and separate bath and shower.

i would second a Lantau tour to see the giant Buddha. We did a tour through Viator. The vegetarian lunch at the app Lin Monastery was superb.