Passport 6 month rule

On 3/22/2019 at 2:25 PM, not-enough-cruising said:

If that were the case half the ship wouldn’t be able to board because they don’t have passports. 

A copy of your passport is worthless. I never understood why one would go through the expense of having a passport and then leave it in the safe where it does you no good. 

Actually a copy will help if you're stuck and need it, it helps them get your information faster and replacement documents or enough authorization to reduce your wait without documents to enter the US.  The problem is needing to fly the airlines can have whatever rules they want to let you on the plane since they don't want to be responsible for you if you can't get through customs but no US Citizen is going to be denied entry without ID, it will just take a lot longer to get through.  Cruise lines aren't checking your ID to let you sail, they're checking it to make sure they can let you off at the end of the cruise without issue 🙂

5 minutes ago, ShillyShally said:

Actually a copy will help if you're stuck and need it, it helps them get your information faster and replacement documents or enough authorization to reduce your wait without documents to enter the US.  The problem is needing to fly the airlines can have whatever rules they want to let you on the plane since they don't want to be responsible for you if you can't get through customs but no US Citizen is going to be denied entry without ID, it will just take a lot longer to get through.  Cruise lines aren't checking your ID to let you sail, they're checking it to make sure they can let you off at the end of the cruise without issue 🙂

I agree, however, one would assume that the need to have a passport on your person would be the instance where one did NOT make it back to the ship. In this instance alternative measures would be required to return to the US, and at this point your xerox copy of a passport is useless, as you said an airline will not let you board an international flight with it. 

1 minute ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I agree, however, one would assume that the need to have a passport on your person would be the instance where one did NOT make it back to the ship. In this instance alternative measures would be required to return to the US, and at this point your xerox copy of a passport is useless, as you said an airline will not let you board an international flight with it. 

I just meant it will help you at an embassy get an updated one, and who knows who might make an exception if you can prove your passport may meet you at your end stop - BUT, I do agree with you, use the passport, not a copy, especially if there is concern of timing on an excursion.  If you're doing a ship excursion, don't stress as much, but whenever doing your own thing I'd be more cautious!  

• Like 3

I have not seen an answer to this question.

I'm left at a port in a country that requires six months and my passport with less than 6 months until expiration.  I'm already in the country and no 'official' knows I'm there.  I directly go to the airport for a flight to leave the country to go to the US.

I have a valid passport to re-enter the US.  Will I be denied a flight?

12 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

I'm left at a port in a country that requires six months and my passport with less than 6 months until expiration.  I'm already in the country and no 'official' knows I'm there.  I directly go to the airport for a flight to leave the country to go to the US.

You can fly to the US if the passport is still valid.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

I would be coordinating my movements with the port agent since he/she is the expert on what should be done. I'm sure the cruise line would be notifying the local authorities that you are there.

4 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

I would be coordinating my movements with the port agent since he/she is the expert on what should be done. I'm sure the cruise line would be notifying the local authorities that you are there.

Agreed, and truly no one can give you a certain answer as we all know every gate agent checking IDs may have different interpretations, as well as whomever else may be working so your mileage may vary BUT yes, you should be allowed to board your flight - they don't want to risk keeping you in country, it's that they can't legally discharge you and fly back if you don't have the right ID so you'd be under their care which is why they essentially are always checking to make sure they can release you to someone else 🙂

46 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

That wouldn't be the first thing I would do.  I'd be on a website finding a plane out of the country.  Then a taxi to the airport.  BTW a port agent is not a local authority.

Most passengers have no idea there is even a port agent, let alone turning themselves in.  As far as local authorities, I doubt they would put out an APB for a tourist.

Edited by steveru621

1 hour ago, steveru621 said:

Absolutely not. You are a citizen. Countries that have their 6 month rule pertain to foreigners, not their own citizens

8 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

That wouldn't be the first thing I would do.  I'd be on a website finding a plane out of the country.  Then a taxi to the airport.  BTW a port agent is not a local authority.

Most passengers have no idea there is even a port agent, let alone turning themselves in.  As far as local authorities, I doubt they would put out an APB for a tourist.

The cruise line has to notify both the local government and the US government (for a US citizen) that a passenger was left behind. The port agent is the cruise line's representative and is a key resource for anyone in that position. If you choose to forego that expertise that's up to you. 

17 hours ago, steveru621 said:

Since you would no longer be a ship passenger, you would technically be required to "enter" the port country in the legal sense, meaning go through entry immigration.  If you go straight to the airport, you would probably go through exit immigration and it's possible that the immigration officer would inquire as to why there was no immigration ENTRY stamp in your passport.  I'm just guessing here, but there may be some sort of fine involved for that "violation.'  HOWEVER, the 6 month rule typically is in place to make sure a visitor doesn't accidentally end up in the country beyond their passport's validity, (ex. you get sick and have a lengthy hospital stay.  If your passport only had 2 weeks left on it when you entered the foreign country, it's quite possible that you could still be there when your passport expires, so countries often have a 6 month rule as a precaution against this type of thing.)  Hence, in the situation you describe above, you would be in the process of trying to leave the country so they could see that you aren't staying beyond the validity of your passport.  That, combined with the explanation of missing the ship, would likely get you on the plane back to the US with little trouble.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, waterbug123 said:

Since you would no longer be a ship passenger, you would technically be required to "enter" the port country in the legal sense, meaning go through entry immigration.  If you go straight to the airport, you would probably go through exit immigration and it's possible that the immigration officer would inquire as to why there was no immigration ENTRY stamp in your passport.  I'm just guessing here, but there may be some sort of fine involved for that "violation.'  HOWEVER, the 6 month rule typically is in place to make sure a visitor doesn't accidentally end up in the country beyond their passport's validity, (ex. you get sick and have a lengthy hospital stay.  If your passport only had 2 weeks left on it when you entered the foreign country, it's quite possible that you could still be there when your passport expires, so countries often have a 6 month rule as a precaution against this type of thing.)  Hence, in the situation you describe above, you would be in the process of trying to leave the country so they could see that you aren't staying beyond the validity of your passport.  That, combined with the explanation of missing the ship, would likely get you on the plane back to the US with little trouble.

Great job answering that other "hypothetical" question...about someone who clearly failed to do their homework and "hypothetically" now seeks to pivot due to their ineptness.

There is always a process for handling travel back to the US or within the US when a person has no travel documents or ID.

Our passports were stolen in New Orleans after a cruise.  my wife's driver's license was also stolen.  I could fly because I still had my license.  But she went through an interview process that took about an hour extra at the airport and was then cleared to fly.  A copy of her passport, or a picture of it, would have helped a LOT.  

In another country on a cruise, seek the help of the port agent as noted - they have experience at this.  And then the US Embassy or US Dept of State may be needed to assist.  I always carry my passport ashore to reduce the hassle and delay time.  But I will separate it from my Driver's license after our New Orleans experience!

20 hours ago, steveru621 said:

When you hit immigration upon departure, they may question why you had not properly entered the country.  But they will not be worried about the validity time of your passport.  That time is required for entry, to ensure that your passport is valid for you to LEAVE.  Since you are already leaving, it is not a problem.

However, since the cruise ship does supply a manifest, and if they had your passport info, you may be in their electronic system.

I had a colleague who was stuck for 5 days in a country he did not have a visa for, due to airline issues (was supposed to be a simple flight change).  When he finally got to leave, the immigration officer took exception to his being there.  He explained what happened, and when he told them what airline, they said OH, and stamped his passport and wished him a good flight.

1 hour ago, PelicanBill said:

There is always a process for handling travel back to the US or within the US when a person has no travel documents or ID.

Our passports were stolen in New Orleans after a cruise.  my wife's driver's license was also stolen.  I could fly because I still had my license.  But she went through an interview process that took about an hour extra at the airport and was then cleared to fly.  A copy of her passport, or a picture of it, would have helped a LOT.  

In another country on a cruise, seek the help of the port agent as noted - they have experience at this.  And then the US Embassy or US Dept of State may be needed to assist.  I always carry my passport ashore to reduce the hassle and delay time.  But I will separate it from my Driver's license after our New Orleans experience!

Ugh, what a fiasco, sorry that happened!  Great data though, thank you for sharing!

• Like 1

So many great answers to my theoretical question.

Sparks1093, just trying to shake the tree. 😎  You are correct, as a practical matter, the port agent has to be your first stop. The number one reason would be your passport should be left in your safe on the ship.  RCI, up until recently, has always recommended in the Cruise Compass that you leave your passport on the ship.

BTW, .gov recommends you have a color copy of your passport electronically stored somewhere, and left with an emergency contact.  So while it's not an official document it still has value.

7 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

So many great answers to my theoretical question.

Sparks1093, just trying to shake the tree. 😎  You are correct, as a practical matter, the port agent has to be your first stop. The number one reason would be your passport should be left in your safe on the ship.  RCI, up until recently, has always recommended in the Cruise Compass that you leave your passport on the ship.

BTW, .gov recommends you have a color copy of your passport electronically stored somewhere, and left with an emergency contact.  So while it's not an official document it still has value.

No worries. Yes, the port agent would have to be my first stop because unless I need it for an excursion my passport would be in my safe. State.gov does recommend having a copy of your passport available but it's not so they can find you in their system, it's because in order to obtain an emergency passport you need to provide proof of citizenship and the copy of your passport is acceptable for that.

17 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

RCI, up until recently, has always recommended in the Cruise Compass that you leave your passport on the ship.

Why do / did they recommend not carrying a passport in a foreign country? I understand its not needed to get on and off the ship.

Does the ship automatically take your luggage off and empty your safe and give it to the port agent if you miss the boat?

If you are a passenger in a car accident and get taken to police station or hospital will the port agent deliver your passport to you if you can't get to them?

I guess I carry it because if I should need it I want it on my person.

2 minutes ago, AlanF65 said:

Why do / did they recommend not carrying a passport in a foreign country? I understand its not needed to get on and off the ship.

Does the ship automatically take your luggage off and empty your safe and give it to the port agent if you miss the boat?

If you are a passenger in a car accident and get taken to police station or hospital will the port agent deliver your passport to you if you can't get to them?

Likely so they ensure you have it to get off at the end of the cruise and they would assist if that came earlier than final disembarkation - so yes if you are missing the ship for some reason they would work to get you your documents but if they had 100+ passengers at every port somehow lose their passports in port (just throwing a # out) they'd have a much bigger problem when they finally got back at cruise end!

39 minutes ago, AlanF65 said:

RCI doesn't want you to lose it or even worse, have it stolen.

2 hours ago, AlanF65 said:

At one point in time even the State Department website advised not carrying your passport unless you had to. 

On 3/22/2019 at 12:58 PM, Host Clarea said:

If that cruise starts and ends in the same US city, then a natural born US citizen can use a certified copy of their birth certificate and a government issued photo ID.

BUT, GOD FORBID, you have a medical EMERGENCY and need to FLY back to the US and you have NO PASSPORT.

YOU ARE IN DEEP TROUBLE WITHOUT A PASSPORT,

2 hours ago, acesneights99 said:

BUT, GOD FORBID, you have a medical EMERGENCY and need to FLY back to the US and you have NO PASSPORT.

YOU ARE IN DEEP TROUBLE WITHOUT A PASSPORT,

1 hour ago, acesneights99 said:

Passport renewal is $110.  6 months is worth $5.50.

Why would you scrimp on renewing your passport and have to deal with some hellish consequence that might cost you thousands of dollars and days or weeks of your life? 

Hardly deep trouble. There are provisions in the regulations to waive the passport requirement for an emergency or for humanitarian reasons. The worse that can happen is a bit of delay, which will be entirely dependent on the circumstances. Being overserved at Senor Frogs would be treated differently than a medical issue. I'll let my travel needs dictate when I renew my passport (which means if I am not planning to travel for a year after it expires I'll wait until then to renew).

26 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

Hardly deep trouble. There are provisions in the regulations to waive the passport requirement for an emergency or for humanitarian reasons. The worse that can happen is a bit of delay, which will be entirely dependent on the circumstances. Being overserved at Senor Frogs would be treated differently than a medical issue. I'll let my travel needs dictate when I renew my passport (which means if I am not planning to travel for a year after it expires I'll wait until then to renew).

I'm sorry but my faith in our government doesn't extend to risking my life on some bureaucrat's whim. If I have to waste five bucks to renew my passport 6 months early, I consider it five dollars well spent.

If your travel needs are infrequent than by all means squeeze the last $5 out of your passport.

A "bit of delay" might prove fatal. The bureaucrat might not appreciate the severity of the situation, and then what will you do? Die for $5?

I will probably only renew my passport once more in this lifetime. I don't want my epitaph to read, "He died with an expired passport"