Musings from the Monarch (Koningsdam)

VMax1700

4 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Batteries in our safe expired last night, so we had to get a maintainance team up to open it.  It is amazingly simple to open! 😶

Mine expired before I got on the ship, on turnaround day I was running around getting someone to allow me to use my safe. One of Guest Services people fixed it right up for me - with a battery - who knew?

7 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Morning from Koningsdam. It is 10.30 am local time (E.T. + 4) and temperature is 15 c. (59 f) with mixed cloud and sun. It ferls cool.

Yesterday was 17c max. With rain showers, low cloud and poor visiblility. The last rwo days and nights has had the sea a bit rough. 14 ft waves on a 6 ft sea.

First 3 days were great. Sunshine and warm 23 c (sorry you will have to change to f yourself). Shorts and t shirt.  Yesterday i wore long pants and a short sleeve polo shirt.  Ellen is a 'friolero' (feels the cold) and yesterday and today has a cardigan and wrap/scarf on. I have seen a few people wearing jackets.

Inside the ship is fine if you stay away from doors leading to the outside (esp. Lido) as the wind created is cooold!

But the outside deck (Deck 3 Prom) was not closed off due to the weather, correct?

2 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

But the outside deck (Deck 3 Prom) was not closed off due to the weather, correct?

Correct! Even though it was wet from rain it was open and still 3 laps = 1 mile!😁

• Thanks 1

Just reading about your crossing makes me even more excited to join the ship in Rome. Weather really looks so so for the next week to come, but who cares its vacation time!!! Enjoy the rest of the crossing and take good care of the ship ;)

3 small accounting problems today!

Although we both have free HSC for this leg, one of us was being charged! Also one of our OBC's did not post.  That required a message to Head Office to sort out. Luckily I had brought the booking confirmation with me.

Then our free Pinnacle lunch was charged! Now I am pleased to say we did get our 50% mariner discount!!!  Reported it to guest services and waiting on credit.

Always remember to carry a copy of confirmations etc!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/13/2019 at 7:33 AM, cheezenip said:

Colin - We will be on the sister ship Nieuw Statendam in slightly over 1 week doing the identical crossing to Ponta Delgada before heading off to a diff part of Europe. Can you provide more detail about the daytime weather during your sea days? Specifically interested on how much cooler it got each day after leaving warm weather in Florida. Trying to gauge how many quality sea days (weather dependent of course) one would have laying outside in either shorts or long sleeve clothing before getting too cold. I'm packing in layers but wondering how much opportunity to enjoy warm weather before it gets cooler prior to reaching Ponta Delgada.

Also, did you notice the ship to be cold or rather comfortable in the public areas (realizing that part of this is subjective)?

We left Azores yesterday evening. During the day there was sunshine, rain showers, hailstones and more sunshine! Real mixed bag.

Today at sea it is 62 f/16 c. A few brave souls wearing shorts. The lido pool roof is closed and it is quite pleasant there, but as yet not too many people using it. Very few at aft pool.  Most wearing jeans etc.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2019 at 5:22 PM, VMax1700 said:

Although we both have free HSC for this leg, one of us was being charged! Also one of our OBC's did not post.  That required a message to Head Office to sort out. Luckily I had brought the booking confirmation with me.

Then our free Pinnacle lunch was charged! Now I am pleased to say we did get our 50% mariner discount!!!  Reported it to guest services and waiting on credit.

Hope you get everything straightened out.

I have been telling people for years to always take copies of everything including shore excursions pre booked.

On 4/12/2019 at 11:50 AM, VMax1700 said:

Tamarind Rijsttafel menu

20190411_081124.jpg

I'm feeling a little dumb at the moment. DH and I have been on the Koningsdam twice, LOVE Tamarind and have never seen a Rijsttafel offered. Does anyone know if this is something only offered on a TA or also in the Med? We're going to be on the ship going out of Civitavecchia on April 29. Would really hate to miss this if it's offered on our 11 Day cruise to Greece. 

1 hour ago, EZ2CY said:

I'm feeling a little dumb at the moment. DH and I have been on the Koningsdam twice, LOVE Tamarind and have never seen a Rijsttafel offered. Does anyone know if this is something only offered on a TA or also in the Med? We're going to be on the ship going out of Civitavecchia on April 29. Would really hate to miss this if it's offered on our 11 Day cruise to Greece. 

We have been on Koningsdam 4 times previously and not seen a Rijsttafel offered previously (only the Collector Indonesian lunch).

When you board there is a flyer printed on grey card titled 'Plan your Voyage'. This lists the special events being held.

I will try to remember to ask Tamarind manager on Wednesday, if it is going to be a regular feature. 

20190415_131421.jpg

20190415_131436.jpg

Edited by VMax1700
  • Thanks 1

On 4/13/2019 at 9:22 PM, VMax1700 said:

2 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Hope you get everything straightened out.

I have been telling people for years to always take copies of everything including shore excursions pre booked.

Accounting problems all sorted out.  It is easy to get the problems rectified, it's just a shame that they show up in the first place!

48 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

We have been on Koningsdam 4 times previously and not seen a Rijsttafel offered previously (only the Collector Indonesian lunch).

When you board there is a flyer printed on grey card titled 'Plan your Voyage'. This lists the special events being held.

I will try to remember to ask Tamarind manager on Wednesday, if it is going to be a regular feature. 

20190415_131421.jpg

20190415_131436.jpg

Thanks VMax! Would appreciate it if you would post what you find out about the Rijsttafel at Tamarind. Where do you find the gray "Plan Your Voyage" flyers???? DH and I have never come across them and it's exactly the kind of thing we're always looking for!

30 minutes ago, EZ2CY said:

Thanks VMax! Would appreciate it if you would post what you find out about the Rijsttafel at Tamarind. Where do you find the gray "Plan Your Voyage" flyers???? DH and I have never come across them and it's exactly the kind of thing we're always looking for!

We had not seen them before our March 27th sailing either!  It was waiting for us in the stateroom with the port guide and tour booking form. On the desk (or on bed) we can't recall which, but there was one there for each segment of our b2b.

50 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

We had not seen them before our March 27th sailing either!  It was waiting for us in the stateroom with the port guide and tour booking form. On the desk (or on bed) we can't recall which, but there was one there for each segment of our b2b.

This is really great to hear. We'll definitely be on the lookout for those grey flyers! Thanks again!

Edited by EZ2CY

2 hours ago, EZ2CY said:

There was no Rijsttafel (officially) being offered on K-dam's 17-27 March voyage

3 minutes ago, Despegue said:

No more One-Step or Postmodern Jukebox on Koningsdam?

Maybe new troupes will join after the crossing?

The One Step dancer I worked with before told us they, the six dancers, were leaving on April 17, with no replacement in sight! What an unbelievable stupid move by HAL's Director of Entertainment Bill Prince! Here you have an outstanding showroom full of state of the art computerized electronic equipment and screens costing beaucoup bucks and he takes the production shows and cast members away

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Only shows on the transatlantic leg are a singer, an instumentalist, an illusionist, and a comedian and a mixture of the above on a repeat night. Oh and BBC Earth. 

Complete waste of space and capabilities in the K-dam Main Stage! Sad!

• Like 1

Just now, VMax1700 said:

Only shows on the transatlantic leg are a singer, an instumentalist, an illusionist, and a comedian and a mixture of the above on a repeat night. Oh and BBC Earth. 

You’re forgetting the trio called The Knights, three English guys who energetically cover songs from famous British artists who’ve been knighted, like Paul McCartney, Elton John, etc. I think they put on the best show, and are doing another one tomorrow night.

That said, my wife and I really miss the production shows. Maybe the money to pay for them went into the talent for the other musical venues. Or maybe they’re trying to differentiate themselves from other lines, but it’s coming across more like cutbacks than a creative shift. The new music venues onboard are great, but over the years we’ve come to expect a little more spectacle in the big theatre.

3 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

The One Step dancer I worked with before told us they, the six dancers, were leaving on April 17, with no replacement in sight! What an unbelievable stupid move by HAL's Director of Entertainment Bill Prince! Here you have an outstanding showroom full of state of the art computerized electronic equipment and screens costing beaucoup bucks and he takes the production shows and cast members away

I could not agree with you more!  Who is Mr. Prince's superior?  There must be a Senior Vice-President of something to whom those of us who are dissatisfied with his entertainment decisions could contact.

45 minutes ago, BarbarianPaul said:

You’re forgetting the trio called The Knights, three English guys who energetically cover songs from famous British artists who’ve been knighted, like Paul McCartney, Elton John, etc. I think they put on the best show, and are doing another one tomorrow night.

We missed that one. Saw it in the 'Where and When' and saw their cd/dvd for sale in the shops, but 'tribute bands' are not our thing. Even Rolling Stone Rock Room is getting repetitious!  They play the same sets in the same order. They could try to mix it up a bit.