First cruise ever - some questions

I've booked our first cruise ever a few days ago on Voyager Of The Seas for August (Hong Kong) for our first anniversary - sadly I did it via RC so not sure we get any of that sweet credit.

1) When I booked there were a two balcony options... one was ocean view and one was guaranteed ocean view. I went for the guaranteed, does this mean there shouldn't be anything blocking us? (Lifeboats etc?) how I find our cabin number?

2) As far as I can gather breakfast and lunch are free... but dinner will cost? I chose 8pm as our dinner time... is it formal? Different places have different codes?

3) We stop at Da Nang from 7am-5pm and there are options for me to book tours... do we need to book one? Can we just explore on our own? When do we need to be back at the ship?

Anyone done Da Nang and know how to get from the port to the city? (I think I can just use Uber, that's normally what I do in Vietnam)

4) There's a page about visas on the RC website: "All nationalities require visas for Vietnam with the following exceptions: Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, Philippines, Japan, Denmark, Sweden, Finland and Norway." - As far as I know British Citizens also do not need a visa if visiting for under 15 days, indeed the UK foreign office says that's the case until 2021 and I've visited before without a visa. Should I print this off to explain to them before boarding??  

2 hours ago, ktechmidas said:

1) When I booked there were a two balcony options... one was ocean view and one was guaranteed ocean view. I went for the guaranteed, does this mean there shouldn't be anything blocking us? (Lifeboats etc?) how I find our cabin number?

2) As far as I can gather breakfast and lunch are free... but dinner will cost? I chose 8pm as our dinner time... is it formal? Different places have different codes?

3) We stop at Da Nang from 7am-5pm and there are options for me to book tours... do we need to book one? Can we just explore on our own? When do we need to be back at the ship?

1. You can get any balcony cabin - you'll have to keep checking your account for a cabin assignment.

2. MDR is free - the number formal nights depends on the length of the sailing - wear what you want.

3. You can explore on your own, you need to be back by 4:30.

'Guaranteed' simply means you will get an ocean view cabin at a lower price than the 'standard' ocean view price (at the time of booking).

They are called Guarantee Rooms because you’re always guaranteed a room in your chosen room category and you could get any in that category anywhere on the ship.

When your cabin is assigned, if you don't like the position you can request to be moved to another available cabin in the same category free of any charge.

As stated, main dining room is free. only speciality restaurants have a cover charge.

As it is your first cruise I would just enjoy the MDR, you will not be disappointed.

Visitors from the United Kingdom DO NOT require visa to enter Vietnam for a stay of no longer than 15 days and meet the entry requirements: UK British Passport must be valid for at least 6 months beyond arrival date. Passport has 2 blank pages for visa stamp. Stay for NO longer than 15 days with proof of onward travel.

But PLEASE CHECK to confirm.

Edited by icsys

Welcome to Cruise Critcs (CC)

Dinner is free if you eat at the Windjammer (WJ) or the Main Dining Room (MDR). 

You pay extra if you want to eat at Johnny Rockets; Izumi; Chop’s Grille or Giovanni's Table.

Every night of you will find a Cruise Compass (ships news letter) in your room.

The Compass will tell you what the suggested dress code is for the next evening.(i.e formal; smart casual or casual.)   

The compass will also tell you what time you need to be back on ship when in port. 

11 minutes ago, icsys said:

'Guaranteed' simply means you will get an ocean view cabin at a lower price than the 'standard' ocean view price (at the time of booking).

They are called Guarantee Rooms because you’re always guaranteed a room in your chosen room category and you could get any in that category anywhere on the ship.

When your cabin is assigned, if you don't like the position you can request to be moved to another available cabin in the same category free of any charge.

If the OP has booked via the UK office then you are unable to change your guarantee room once it has been allocated. 

14 minutes ago, little britain said:

If the OP has booked via the UK office then you are unable to change your guarantee room once it has been allocated. 

I had an email from Executive Guest Relations that says the contrary.... but Royal is famous for inconsistencies.

Edited by icsys

28 minutes ago, little britain said:

I booked online and paid in USD, I live in China but used a UK card... so I'm unsure which office exactly I booked through. 

42 minutes ago, Bloodgem said:

The Compass will tell you what the suggested dress code is for the next evening.(i.e formal; smart casual or casual.)   

Is that for the MDR or for every restaurant on the ship? As it's only a 4 day cruise I'd rather not have to take my suit, but smart casual and casual I can do.

46 minutes ago, icsys said:

Visitors from the United Kingdom DO NOT require visa to enter Vietnam for a stay of no longer than 15 days and meet the entry requirements: UK British Passport must be valid for at least 6 months beyond arrival date. Passport has 2 blank pages for visa stamp. Stay for NO longer than 15 days with proof of onward travel.

But PLEASE CHECK to confirm.

Thanks! I figured as much and will check - my wife is a mainland Chinese citizen anyway so I think *will* need a visa, we'll be sorting that one before we go rather than trying to do on board (seems she can get it cheaper in Mainland)

30 minutes ago, ktechmidas said:

Is that for the MDR or for every restaurant on the ship? As it's only a 4 day cruise I'd rather not have to take my suit, but smart casual and casual I can do.

The suggested attire is only for the MDR. And again, it is only SUGGETED. You do not need to bring a suit. As long as you are dressed respectably, you will not be turned away.

On 4/1/2019 at 5:45 AM, ktechmidas said:

I've booked our first cruise ever a few days ago on Voyager Of The Seas for August (Hong Kong) for our first anniversary - sadly I did it via RC so not sure we get any of that sweet credit.

Anyone done Da Nang and know how to get from the port to the city? (I think I can just use Uber, that's normally what I do in Vietnam)

4) There's a page about visas on the RC website: "All nationalities require visas for Vietnam with the following exceptions: Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, Philippines, Japan, Denmark, Sweden, Finland and Norway." - As far as I know British Citizens also do not need a visa if visiting for under 15 days, indeed the UK foreign office says that's the case until 2021 and I've visited before without a visa. Should I print this off to explain to them before boarding??  

First cruise hints. Bring a highlighter and mark next day activities schedule so you don’t miss anything. Bring cruise compass ashore for information if you have any issues. Read reviews for ship to get hidden tips from seasoned cruisers. Bring any prescriptions in pharmacy bottles. Any special medical issues have information document of doctors back home.

Smile and enjoy your cruise and let loose. You’re never going see these people again.

Buy new underwear and socks. Leaving them home.

Take old underwear and socks and throw away onboard after using.

Now have room for duty free booze or souvenirs.

Go home to new undies and socks!!!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, suesnake2002 said:

This one is for bob,

I believe bill and marie did a live tour, of at least some of these stops. I don't know how to add a link here to help

Do you mean this thread:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2528276-quotlivequot-ovation-of-the-seas-april-9-26-2018-bill-amp-maries-slow-boat-to-china/

13 minutes ago, suesnake2002 said:

Yes i did bob. Thank you so much. 

I would urge OP to go to link and read live review. 

Looking through now 🙂 thanks very much! Got a good idea of what we're going to do in Da Nang now, I see Bill & Marie did a tour - we're going to try to do it alone, but it's great to know what's there, just got to hope for good weather.

Sadly this is just one stop and back - we live in Shenzhen (just across the border from Hong Kong) so I'm quite familiar with HK, but hopefully here's to many more cruises after this one if the wife and I enjoy it 🍻

It's a 4 night cruise. I really don't think their underwear will take up that much room😀 I don't know what kind of underwear you wear, but mine are not cheap and I am for sure not throwing them away. Besides my Mom always told me to wear nice underwear so if I ever had to go to the hospital she would not be embarrassed😀

2 hours ago, cementhands said:

Buy new underwear and socks. Leaving them home.

Take old underwear and socks and throw away onboard after using.

Now have room for duty free booze or souvenirs.

Go home to new undies and socks!!!!

• Haha 1