Oasis incident at Freeport Shipyard

20 minutes ago, fsjosh said:

The only thing I see that could possibly not be fixed by then would be the TV's and aquatheater elevator. And thats only if they are one off's and have to be custom built. Even then, there are probably workarounds that would let them do some sort of show. 

Regarding the video screens, I can neither confirm nor deny the accuracy of post #773, but seems to be more reputable than many:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2650819-oasis-incident-at-freeport-shipyard/?do=findComment&comment=57191670

Of course, post #775 has a counterpoint:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2650819-oasis-incident-at-freeport-shipyard/page/31/?tab=comments#comment-57191941

Edited by willde
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, willde said:

Regarding the video screens, I can neither confirm nor deny the accuracy of post #773, but seems to be more reputable than many:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2650819-oasis-incident-at-freeport-shipyard/?do=findComment&comment=57191670

Of course, post #775 has a counterpoint:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2650819-oasis-incident-at-freeport-shipyard/page/31/?tab=comments#comment-57191941

Large video boards like these are absolutely modular.  Not only does it make it easier to ship them for installation but it also makes them more cost-effective to repair if a segment fails.  These screens are very likely similar to those in baseball and football stadiums, if they aren't even from the same manufacturer.

Do they keep spare parts on board?  Possibly, though the unit in the Seaplex on Anthem continued losing segments through the cruise I was on last year.  There certainly wouldn't be enough on board to completely replace one of these screens, the missing/damaged structure not withstanding.

She's now due north of Martinique (by a large distance) looks to still be traveling due east. She does have some company in the general area - Koningsdam is about a day's sail north of her doing a TA and there is another ship, not sure which, about a day's sail south which looks to be on a course to intersect with Oasis in a couple days. I'd be curious to know which ship that is. Looks like it probably set out from San Juan a couple days ago, but I can't for the life of me figure out who it is. I compared to all the TA's on all the cruise lines and none of them match up with that ship's position. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, bizeemom4 said:

Any idea if this is on schedule? 

Based on that position and her current speed of ~17.5 knots, marine traffic shows her arriving in Cadiz around midnight UTC on the 17th.

Capture.PNG

Edited by orville99

7 hours ago, scottish67 said:

Found the below picture posted today by a crew member of the Aqua Theater area. It’s hard to make too much out but it looks like  all the chairs have been removed and that they are doing some work on the stage area? 

The colorful chairs are in front of Sabor and Johnny Rockets. The middle section of the platform (behind the "n" in "soon") is missing.

It'll buff right out.

14 hours ago, heyya604 said:

Hi, I emailed my hotel for options to the port , as well as wanted to know about transportation from airport to my hotel. I fly in a day earlier than my daughter. I located Suntransfers through Trip Advisor and they were very prompt, and have great reviews

Thank you for your kindness by sharing this info as we all monitor Oasis sailing to Spain. Hope we all get to sail as planned:)

Edited by ptf2009
typo
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Pratique said:

Agreed taxi is typical. You can research rates online. I think there is a surcharge for    pickup at the port. Should be under 25 euros within the city is my recollection.

Thank you for sharing your info. I appreciate all who have responded so quickly and kindly......now we just wait and see if  Oasis is ready for all of us to sail on her:)

15 minutes ago, The Grumpus said:

Amazing how many ships are out there and that they don't "bump" more often than they do.

The map is very deceptive. The icons for the ships are far out of scale - for instane Oasis may be huge, but she doesn't reach halfway from Tampa to Orlando. Same effect happens with Flightradar24 - it looks like planes should be in one big firery crash, whereas they are usually nowhere near each other (especially if you consider that is 3D versus Marinetraffic 2D). 

22 minutes ago, The Grumpus said:

Amazing how many ships are out there and that they don't "bump" more often than they do.

I would guess that map is at least 3 million square miles

The Atlantic is roughly 40 million square miles

Edited by John&LaLa

16 hours ago, ptf2009 said:

Okay a little off topic, but just thinking positively about our May 12 cruise. Does anyone have any idea how much we should expect to pay for transportation from the port to the hotel in Barcelona or the best mode of transportation?  Also, from an airport hotel to the port? Thank you for the info info advance:)

On our two cruises, I prearranged taxi's from airport to hotels on/near Las Ramblas and then to the ship and the reverse post cruise.  On our second cruise, the taxi driver from the ship to our hotel, even detoured to another hotel to pick up my wife's uncle's sport coat, and he didn't charge anything extra than booked priced.

32 minutes ago, The Grumpus said:

What surprises me is that even with all that traffic, you can sail for days without seeing another ship.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, scottish67 said:

Found the below picture posted today by a crew member of the Aqua Theater area. It’s hard to make too much out but it looks like  all the chairs have been removed and that they are doing some work on the stage area? 

614DFC04-3467-4AE8-AFF3-1E2801C19F12.png

2 hours ago, Pratique said:

The colorful chairs are in front of Sabor and Johnny Rockets. The middle section of the platform (behind the "n" in "soon") is missing.

It'll buff right out.

Yes...either that middle section is lowered or has been taken apart. it's also clear to see the starboard video monitor has been completely removed...framing and all. If you look at that same spot right below the "n" you can also see what appears to be some significant damage to the lip of the platform in that fountain area.

Edited by bajathree

On 4/6/2019 at 4:15 PM, Thorben-Hendrik said:

Does that mean you will not get any C+A point for that cruise - since it is "free"?🤔

That is what some claim to be the case....

On 4/6/2019 at 4:32 PM, A&L_Ont said:

I guess it will be a wait and see.  Not everything on the Internet is true. 

I guess one could not take the “free” cruise, and pay for one to get the points. I know what I’d be doing, points or no points. 

I've sailed free twice with RCCL Visa points.  Both times, the rep charged us $1.00 each for cruise fare and told us that, as long as something is paid for the cruise, C&A points will be awarded.  And we did get the C&A points on both cruises.  Hopefully the FCC will work the same way.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, bajathree said:

Yes...either that middle section is lowered or has been taken apart. it's also clear to see the starboard video monitor has been completely removed...framing and all. If you look at that same spot right below the "n" you can also see what appears to be some significant damage to the lip of the platform in that fountain area.

It also looks like the starboard side balconies are missing.

This are the best "before" pictures I could find in my photo files:

DSCF0542.JPG

DSC01091.JPG

DSCF0542.JPG

1 minute ago, itsmeagain said:

She is going to be a real clean ship after the trip across.  They have to be keeping people busy doing  something,  but then again how many times can you wipe something down.

Sounds like they are letting the crew have a bit of a cruise of their own for the crossing. I wonder how they will divide up work to make if "fair." What I mean is the hotel staff will obviously have little to do - will the cooking staff, that still must make food for the crew, resent them or will there be some way to make the time equal for all? I suppose they could do something like everyone must work 4 hours per day doing "something" and the rest of the time is free to party. 

1 minute ago, DerekB said:

Sounds like they are letting the crew have a bit of a cruise of their own for the crossing. I wonder how they will divide up work to make if "fair." What I mean is the hotel staff will obviously have little to do - will the cooking staff, that still must make food for the crew, resent them or will there be some way to make the time equal for all? I suppose they could do something like everyone must work 4 hours per day doing "something" and the rest of the time is free to party. 

They will hardly pay the crew for 12-14 hours work and only have them do 4 hours a day.  There will always be work to be done, and the crew will be doing it.

3 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

They will hardly pay the crew for 12-14 hours work and only have them do 4 hours a day.  There will always be work to be done, and the crew will be doing it.

There is an earlier post with a letter to the crew implying that they would be given some time to relax. I know you are very knowledgeable in regards to maritime matters and appreciate your post and opinion, but this isn't the Navy - there is a time when you recognize that there seriously is not going to be enough to keep that many people busy for 3 weeks without just coming up with stupid busywork. 

5 minutes ago, DerekB said:

Given that she will probably bee in Cadiz from the 18th until she sails again with passengers on May 5, they will in all likelihood be all working doing the prep work for the interior public spaces that were originally scheduled for her fall dry dock. i.e. removing carpets,  pulling furnishings that are scheduled for replacement, stripping out venues that will be re-purposed, etc.

I doubt anyone on the ship is getting anything remotely close to a "bit of a cruise of their own" or doing any relaxing on the crossing.

43 minutes ago, orville99 said:

It also looks like the starboard side balconies are missing.

This are the best "before" pictures I could find in my photo files:

The shot post above is not at an angle that you could see the balconies. Also in the pics posted from the day of the incident, the starboard balconies(other than the deck to access the rock climbing wall) were untouched. The port side balconies may be another issue. But neither would be shown in the photo above. 

Edited by fsjosh
  • Like 1

Just now, orville99 said:

Given that she will probably bee in Cadiz from the 18th until she sails again with passengers on May 5, they will in all likelihood be all working doing the prep work for the interior public spaces that were originally scheduled for her fall dry dock. i.e. removing carpets,  pulling furnishings that are scheduled for replacement, stripping out venues that will be re-purposed, etc.

I doubt anyone on the ship is getting anything remotely close to a "bit of a cruise of their own" or doing any relaxing on the crossing.

I respect your opinion, however the odds of Cadiz already having on hand and ready to go carpets and furnishings is highly unlikely. Sure low hanging fruit is going to be taken care of where it is possible - but a hotel worker isn't the same person who replaces the carpet. You certainly aren't going to strip out public venues months in advance (and what, leave them bare till fall?) There is also a letter posted earlier in this thread to the crew implying directly that they'd be able to for once enjoy the ship. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1