Oasis incident at Freeport Shipyard

6 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Maybe an extra tray of cookies and fruit loop cakes in everyone's cabin? 

And come'on, isn't the thrill of being on the first sailing with the newly repaired....I mean, maintained...azipods enough compensation?  I can hear the CD now "Folks what do you think the new bearings in those azipods.....you can barely hear them or feel any vibration". 😃

LOL true or we've got extra vibrations to help you sleep should those get put on the back burner 🙂

1 minute ago, ptf2009 said:

One thing to remember about the Med. cruise is that it is port intensive and most of us will be on long excursions with early morning starts. Who know how many shows we will be seeing and we are the type to see most of the shows on our Caribbean cruises. It will be okay as long as we GET to cruise:)

Very true, on Med cruises it really is more about getting off and exploring, they should have ample time to get thing done while also cruising with passengers.

1 minute ago, DerekB said:

Yes, it stinks that it may be cancelled - but there is a heck of a lot more to Oasis than the Aqua Theater that you will spend 30 minutes at...geesh...

I don't disagree with you but try telling that to 6,000+ people times however many cruises. Not easy for the front-line crew that will have to deal with it. My wife used to work at WDW and even a one hour downtime on a single ride caused enough guest complaining to drive her mad.

3 minutes ago, DerekB said:

I think we are getting a bit carried away expecting Royal to present Billy Joel or something to replace a single show that plays a total of six times on a 7 day cruise and oftens cancels due to weather anyway. Yes, it stinks that it may be cancelled - but there is a heck of a lot more to Oasis than the Aqua Theater that you will spend 30 minutes at...geesh...

I never said anyone expected it, nor was I aiming for huge star level, since that's completely subjective, but it would just be an idea on something they could do to make those who may feel like they're being slighted to feel like they're also getting something no other set of passengers is.

And I agree the aquatheater isn't the be all end all, but it is cool, and where they do a lot of activities during the week - belly flop, sexiest man, etc, so it's a well used venue for more than just the shows.  And who are we to tell someone what they should/shouldn't be upset by, everyone is bringing their own excitement and expectations to a cruise, it's an adjustment anytime something you expect doesn't happen.  It's how you respond to it and roll with those changes those that will help not derail vacation.

3 minutes ago, DerekB said:

I think we are getting a bit carried away expecting Royal to present Billy Joel or something to replace a single show that plays a total of six times on a 7 day cruise and oftens cancels due to weather anyway. Yes, it stinks that it may be cancelled - but there is a heck of a lot more to Oasis than the Aqua Theater that you will spend 30 minutes at...geesh...

My thinking as well. Yes, the Aqua theater is impressive and a major selling point of the Oasis. Every single show I've seen has been spectacular and I would be disappointed if it wasn't available.

But it's just one show, 45-60 minutes. Even if you include the secondary, unadvertised show that most people don't even know about (unless they study the cruise compass)   it's a total of 90 minutes at best...out of a 7 day cruise.

More importantly, where will the men's belly flop contest be held if the Aqua theater is not operational? Now that's tragic!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Pratique said:

I don't disagree with you but try telling that to 6,000+ people times however many cruises. Not easy for the front-line crew that will have to deal with it. My wife used to work at WDW and even a one hour downtime on a single ride caused enough guest complaining to drive her mad.

Oh I know the pain - I worked at WDW myself. We were once sued for closing a waterpark 20 minutes early, however I don't think this is the time to start going overboard on comp or whatever. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ShillyShally said:

I never said anyone expected it, nor was I aiming for huge star level, since that's completely subjective, but it would just be an idea on something they could do to make those who may feel like they're being slighted to feel like they're also getting something no other set of passengers is.

And I agree the aquatheater isn't the be all end all, but it is cool, and where they do a lot of activities during the week - belly flop, sexiest man, etc, so it's a well used venue for more than just the shows.  And who are we to tell someone what they should/shouldn't be upset by, everyone is bringing their own excitement and expectations to a cruise, it's an adjustment anytime something you expect doesn't happen.  It's how you respond to it and roll with those changes those that will help not derail vacation.

When I was on Harmony last...they were holding the belly flop up in the sports pool.

Just now, bajathree said:

When I was on Harmony last...they were holding the belly flop up in the sports pool.

I expect it's more popular up on the pool deck - that is the thing about the Aqua Theater, except for shows/activities, you don't really hang in that area whereas on the pool deck people will lounge the day away (not making judgement, I'm usually a shade lounger myself).

8 minutes ago, fsjosh said:

People on this board: Oh the Oasis class is so huge. Theres so much to do. I couldn't do it all in a week.

Also people on this board: One part of the ship is closed? My life is RUINED!

Ha yes. Actual quote from a guest at Epcot: “We came all the way to Florida just to see Universe of Energy. What do you mean it’s closed today?”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, ShillyShally said:

I expect it's more popular up on the pool deck - that is the thing about the Aqua Theater, except for shows/activities, you don't really hang in that area whereas on the pool deck people will lounge the day away (not making judgement, I'm usually a shade lounger myself).

Belly flop in Aqua Theater is/was awesome. They used the underwater cameras, the fountains, seating is nice. I think they stopped because it was affecting the water ph balance

Edited by John&LaLa

8 minutes ago, Pratique said:

Ha yes. Actual quote from a guest at Epcot: “We came all the way to Florida just to see Universe of Energy. What do you mean it’s closed today?”

We had two rides break at Epcot. During Easter. 😱

They weren't just closed, they actually broke when we were riding them. 

I think one was Universe of Energy

Just now, John&LaLa said:

We had two rides break at Epcot. During Easter. 😱

They weren't just closed, they actually broke when we were riding them. 

I think one was Universe of Energy

You should have negotiated down from a full refund to a free turkey leg as compensation. Most people give up when Security arrives on scene.

Just now, Pratique said:

You should have negotiated down from a full refund to a free turkey leg as compensation. Most people give up when Security arrives on scene.

We didnt complain. We were much younger then. 😉

8 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Belly flop in Aqua Theater is/was awesome. They used the underwater cameras, the fountains, seating is nice. I think they stopped because it was affecting the water ph balance

I forgot about the fun of those underwater cameras during the belly flop, and I loved it in the AT since I could usually get a decent seat where I usually don't bother fighting for one on the pool deck!

7 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I think they stopped because it was affecting the water ph balance

Laughed out loud when I read this sentence.  

I wonder if copious amounts of alcohol being sweated out can affect the ph balance in water?  🍹

17 minutes ago, Pratique said:

Ha, yes, have heard such things in my times serving the public!

1 minute ago, barbeyg said:

Laughed out loud when I read this sentence.  

I wonder if copious amounts of alcohol being sweated out can affect the ph balance in water?  🍹

Dont forget sunscreen and urine.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DerekB said:

Billy Joel isn't old enough to headline on Oasis.:classic_laugh:

9 hours ago, rattla said:

What would concern me if they just decided to effectively “rope off” the whole back of the ship and leave it until dry dock in September 🙂.

I don't think that is an option because it is the muster station for hundreds of guests.  It isn't so easy as to say just go muster somewhere else.   Changing four muster station locations for several hundred guests is not insignificant.  

Looking at the pics on this thread, the seating areas of the aquatheater are largely undamaged. The screens are probably toast. The railings are surely smashed. Who knows what damage the pool elevator took when the crane landed on it. Theres some balcony damage, but nothing that would affect the theater being used as a muster station. 

• Like 1