Oasis incident at Freeport Shipyard

22 minutes ago, CARALOU20 said:

With that said, we’re still assessing the damage to the Aqua Theatre. While our teams are working diligently to ensure it is ready for your sailing, we have also created a “Plan B”, with equally amazing entertainment alternatives, just in case.

We’re committed to keeping you informed every step of the way and we’ll provide another update on April 12th. Thank you for understanding and we can’t wait to see you onboard very soon!

Thank you for sharing.  Oh I do hope they can fix the Aqua Theatre - it's our first time on this class of ship.  We were really looking forward to seeing this and it is one of the reasons we picked this cruise.

15 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Nice that they sent out some information.  Bet they are getting a ton of calls and are hoping this will slow those down a bit.

Interesting that they do confirm that they were in Freeport for repairs to the propulsion system, not preventative maintenance. 

Just different terminology.  Since the visit to Freeport was scheduled quite a while ago I would still go with preventative maintenance rather that a repair.  

23 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Interesting that they do confirm that they were in Freeport for repairs to the propulsion system, not preventative maintenance. 

Semantics.  The propulsion system is currently functional based on departure from Freeport.

Edited by willde

5 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Just different terminology.  Since the visit to Freeport was scheduled quite a while ago I would still go with preventative maintenance rather that a repair.  

4 minutes ago, willde said:

Semantics.  The propulsion system seems functional based on departure from Freeport.

A cruise was cancelled so that the ship could go to Freeport.  They are not going to give up that revenue just because, there must have already been signs of a problem.  They are also not going to issue a statement talking about "repairs" if it was just a preventative maintenance drydock.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, fsjosh said:

So if you had a once in a lifetime cruise scheduled two years out, would you rather it get cancelled because one part of the ship is out of service or still cruise and have the aquatheater be closed? 

I think thats their way of saying the theater will be closed. If they get it fixed, great, but, in the meantime, go ahead and start preparing guests for it. 

I totally agree with that decision. We booked our 5/19/19 Oasis sailing in January 2018 and it will be our first cruise in celebration of our 5yr anniversary. I'd much rather have the cruise minus the Aqua Theater then not go at all.

Assuming it's not fixed for 5/5, I suspect it might not be available for the rest of the May/June sailings as I don't see an opportunity to repair it without impacting other sailings, unless it minor issues they can work on between or during sailings. 

15 minutes ago, livylotte said:

Thank you for sharing.  Oh I do hope they can fix the Aqua Theatre - it's our first time on this class of ship.  We were really looking forward to seeing this and it is one of the reasons we picked this cruise.

I understand this, and the Aqua Theater is one of the reasons I choose an Oasis class as well. Unfortunately, things happen and at least they are preparing you. I hope it is ready for your sailing. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

A cruise was cancelled so that the ship could go to Freeport.  They are not going to give up that revenue just because, there must have already been signs of a problem.  They are also not going to issue a statement talking about "repairs" if it was just a preventative maintenance drydock.

Agreed. If the work could have waited until the fall dry dock, they wouldn't have booked her into Freeport last week. The work was not finished, it was barely started, so it still needs to be done at Cadiz.

26 minutes ago, livylotte said:

8 minutes ago, Mikew0805 said:

I understand this, and the Aqua Theater is one of the reasons I choose an Oasis class as well. Unfortunately, things happen and at least they are preparing you. I hope it is ready for your sailing. 

The shows could just as easily be cancelled due to weather; we've had them cancelled on previous Oasis cruises for that reason. 

Edited by richardb

11 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

It was convenient.  The maintenance most likely could not wait until the scheduled drydock in the fall.  A cruise needed to be cancelled and  the decision as to when to cancel it would have been made based on drydock availability, cost of tha5 drydock and lost revenue from the ship.  Given that they own 40% of the Grand ZBahamas shipyard and that Caribbean cruises are typically less expensive than European ones I’m sure that’s why they scheduled the preventative maintenance for the Mahamas in March.

4 minutes ago, scottish67 said:

I totally agree with that decision. We booked our 5/19/19 Oasis sailing in January 2018 and it will be our first cruise in celebration of our 5yr anniversary. I'd much rather have the cruise minus the Aqua Theater then not go at all.

Assuming it's not fixed for 5/5, I suspect it might not be available for the rest of the May/June sailings as I don't see an opportunity to repair it without impacting other sailings, unless it minor issues they can work on between or during sailings. 

I'm not sure I'm thinking the same way - this is likely to be the only time we will ever sail on this class of ship and we'd like to see all of it - whistles and bells included. I'd be very disappointed if some part of it were missing.  I'm hoping RC will update sooner rather that later on this issue although it's probably too late to change sail date as we are after final payment.

Just now, richardb said:

Agreed. If the work could have waited until the fall dry dock, they wouldn't have booked her into Freeport last week. The work was not finished, it was barely started, so it still needs to be done at Cadiz.

The shows could just as easily be cancelled due to weather; we've had them cancelled on previous cruises for that reason. 

Yes they can, that does not mean that it's still not a valid reason to cruise on the ship, and that there is anything wrong with disappointment. 

I luckily have not had any cancelled, but they did not even schedule Hideaway Heist on Harmony because they were making up cancelled shows from earlier in the week for the main AT show.

46 minutes ago, CARALOU20 said:

With that said, we’re still assessing the damage to the Aqua Theatre. While our teams are working diligently to ensure it is ready for your sailing, we have also created a “Plan B”, with equally amazing entertainment alternatives, just in case.

I really like how they bring the news that the Theatre could be unavailable. Not "while we do the utmost there is a slight chance", but "Plan B" and "just in case". You can almost feel how someone at the meeting shouted "But what if it's NOT finished? We need a Plan B for our guests! It's their vacation! They are counting on US!" while a tear slowly slided down his cheek. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, fsjosh said:

So if you had a once in a lifetime cruise scheduled two years out, would you rather it get cancelled because one part of the ship is out of service or still cruise and have the aquatheater be closed? 

I think thats their way of saying the theater will be closed. If they get it fixed, great, but, in the meantime, go ahead and start preparing guests for it. 

Plan B is CATS on Ice. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

16 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

It was convenient.  The maintenance most likely could not wait until the scheduled drydock in the fall.  A cruise needed to be cancelled and  the decision as to when to cancel it would have been made based on drydock availability, cost of tha5 drydock and lost revenue from the ship.  Given that they own 40% of the Grand ZBahamas shipyard and that Caribbean cruises are typically less expensive than European ones I’m sure that’s why they scheduled the preventative maintenance for the Mahamas in March.

I concur, 'preventative maintenance' prior to a crossing just makes sense.  Did I read Allure will do the same

Edited by John&LaLa

Not being an engineer I can only speculate on the intricacy and size of the mechanism and electrical/hydraulic/electronic controls for the two large underwater platforms in the Aqua Theater pool. These platform are an important part of the entire in water and diving performances that move in and out of the pool. As far as I know these pools are unique and are probably custom built for Oasis Class ships. I believe these platforms are housed under the spectator seating area when not deployed into the pool. That is the area where the crane landed. Sounds like a major project just to get access if any serious damage has occurred.

Edited by Scotty G
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Scotty G said:

Not being an engineer I can only speculate on the intricacy and size of the mechanism and electrical/hydraulic/electronic controls for the two large underwater platforms in the Aqua Theater pool. These platform are an integral part of the entire in water and diving performances that move in and out of the pool. As far as I know these pools are unique and are probably custom built for Oasis Class ships. I believe these platforms are housed under the spectator seating area when not deployed into the pool. That is the area where the crane landed. Sounds like a major project just to get access if any serious damage has occurred.

Those platforms move up and down in the pool. During the diving show they are lowered to the bottom of the pool. When the pool is not in use they raise to the surface and prevent access to the pool. I don’t think those platforms move in and out of the pool, nor do I think they are stored anywhere except in the pool itself. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, TravelerThom said:

Those platforms move up and down in the pool. During the diving show they are lowered to the bottom of the pool. When the pool is not in use they raise to the surface and prevent access to the pool. I don’t think those platforms move in and out of the pool, nor do I think they are stored anywhere except in the pool itself. 

I was only speculating since I only saw them in operation during the show.

Edited by Scotty G

I am still confused as to how you figure 11 days travel at 18 knots.   Almost every transatlantic cruise has 6 sea days.  Those trip usually run at 21 or less knots. I just don’t understand a couple of few knots adding 5 extra days.   

2 hours ago, Capt_BJ said:

WIKI lists max speed as 22.5 knots

anyone the least bit familiar with naval engineering will confirm that the relation of SPEED to HP is NOT linear ...... in other words

To get to 18 knots on two 'engines' (in this case pods) would mean they are probably operating at MAX and if one of three is OUT then doing this is ill advised . . 

while if under THREE they are at an efficient speed . . . 

While you are correct in the non-linear relationship of speed and power,  I will respectfully disagree with much of the rest.  First off, the propulsion system is electric motors, which are driven by variable speed drives using rectifier circuits.  Not only does an electric motor operate at maximum efficiency at full load, but the variable speed drive is also most efficient at full load.  Marine systems are designed with "MCR" which is "Maximum Continuous Rating", which means that it can be operated at maximum power, continuously, without harm.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, reallyitsmema said:

They are definitely going to give up revenue to accomplish preventative maintenance, if that maintenance can not be done any other way (i.e. in drydock), in order to prevent a greater loss of revenue if they defer that maintenance until the system fails and more than one cruise is affected (as happened in the past with several of RCI's ships that have had actual bearing failures).   The "signs of a problem" was that based on past performance, the time when a possible failure of the bearings is coming close, so we will replace them before they fail.  And, no one in the technical department wrote that statement, and the ones writing it don't know the difference between "planned maintenance" and "repairs".

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, volk904 said:

I am still confused as to how you figure 11 days travel at 18 knots.   Almost every transatlantic cruise has 6 sea days.  Those trip usually run at 21 or less knots. I just don’t understand a couple of few knots adding 5 extra days.   

The great circle distance from Freeport to Cadiz, is 3716 nautical miles.  At 18 knots, that is 8 days, 14 hours, plus the 5 hours of clock change for 8 days, 19 hours.  A change of one knot, to 17 knots, adds 13 hours to the passage.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, scottish67 said:

Incase anyone was wondering, this is the official schedule for the transit. Looks like it was sent as an email due to the time change elements of the journey. 

F259A4B8-BFFF-485F-935B-938A614BA9CE.png

Is it blurry on purpose