Oasis incident at Freeport Shipyard

8 minutes ago, Swank Pad G said:

Wish I knew how many Azipods are working?

Look at her speed in an hour - chief can confirm but she's unlikely to be able to hit anything above about 20 knots without all 3 working properly.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Going South is not the most direct route to Cadiz.

But it does keep a damaged ship with possible azipod damage closer to land for as long as possible. 

Also, they report their destinations. Marinetraffic.com has its destination as Cadiz. If it was going to San Juan, it would have it's destination as San Juan. 

1 minute ago, Swank Pad G said:

Others have posted that most likely she is heading to San Juan to pick up supplies before heading to Cadiz.

They just spent a week at a shipyard. They would have loaded up everything they needed there rather than making a wasteful stop on the way. 

2 minutes ago, fsjosh said:

They just spent a week at a shipyard. They would have loaded up everything they needed there rather than making a wasteful stop on the way. 

True just saying what others had thought. We are all speculating and that is what has made this thread interesting.

5 minutes ago, fsjosh said:

I would say some of the supplies they need couldn't have been anticipated until recently.  They could have sourced some things needed for the repairs in San Juan.  Why have them shipped to Europe when you can pick them up and get started while sailing?

8 minutes ago, fsjosh said:

But it does keep a damaged ship with possible azipod damage closer to land for as long as possible. 

If that was the objective, I would have gone north and hugged the US coast for a while.  I'm not sure I really sea much help in the Southern Caribbean

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Atlantix2000 said:

I would say some of the supplies they need couldn't have been anticipated until recently.  They could have sourced some things needed for the repairs in San Juan.  Why have them shipped to Europe when you can pick them up and get started while sailing?

I'm not sure I would go to San Juan for supplies or repairs.  San Juan has had a difficult time repairing itself from the last hurricane, much less look for other problems.

4 minutes ago, Atlantix2000 said:

Then it would have listed its destination as San Juan. 

Also, San Juan isn't exactly a manufacturing hub or location that they work on ships. The odds of the parts they need being there over Freeport or Cadiz would be quite a surprise. 

Just now, fsjosh said:

Then it would have listed its destination as San Juan. 

Also, San Juan isn't exactly a manufacturing hub or location that they work on ships. The odds of the parts they need being there over Freeport or Cadiz would be quite a surprise. 

AIS will say whatever they program into it.  

2 minutes ago, twangster said:

Were did the bulk of the crew get put up in hotels?   Are there hotels for 2,000 on Grand Bahamas?

Maybe they are swinging by where ever the crew are to get them.

There was another ship in Freeport they stayed on. It was linked on this thread. 

Just now, fsjosh said:

There was another ship in Freeport they stayed on. It was linked on this thread. 

I know that was the case the first night but I heard they got moved to hotels in the days that followed.  Internet rumors, no valid source for that.  

5 minutes ago, twangster said:

Could be they are checking for issues, vibrations, etc.  A form of a sea trial.  Up to 18 knots.  

Very positive news, so far.  

Exactly.  Keeping her close to land and ports for a day or two would be a whole lot safer than sending her straight out in the Atlantic with no testing done.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fsjosh said:

Do they often program the AIS to say they are going somewhere they aren't?

With the world watching and stock market analysts looking for any excuse to downgrade them?  These aren't normal times on a normal cruise.