Oasis incident at Freeport Shipyard

50 minutes ago, TravelerThom said:

Those platforms move up and down in the pool. During the diving show they are lowered to the bottom of the pool. When the pool is not in use they raise to the surface and prevent access to the pool. I don’t think those platforms move in and out of the pool, nor do I think they are stored anywhere except in the pool itself. 

Just found this video which show the operation during the show: https://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/video/904/deep-diving-and-high-flying-stunts-thrill-on-harmony-of-the-seas-true-feats-are-behind-the-scenes-at-the-aquatheater/

Edited by Scotty G
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, scottish67 said:

Incase anyone was wondering, this is the official schedule for the transit. Looks like it was sent as an email due to the time change elements of the journey. 

F259A4B8-BFFF-485F-935B-938A614BA9CE.png

That brings up a neat point. The crew actually gets to enjoy the boat without passengers. I'm sure theres still work to do, but they'll probably get their own little cruise vacation here. 

• Like 2

What a nice email.  How lovely for the crew to be given the opportunity to have a bit of down time onboard an empty ship.  I'm sure they still have work to do but all the same it can't be as much work as a ship full of passengers.

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

It was convenient.  The maintenance most likely could not wait until the scheduled drydock in the fall.  A cruise needed to be cancelled and  the decision as to when to cancel it would have been made based on drydock availability, cost of tha5 drydock and lost revenue from the ship.  Given that they own 40% of the Grand ZBahamas shipyard and that Caribbean cruises are typically less expensive than European ones I’m sure that’s why they scheduled the preventative maintenance for the Mahamas in March.

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

I concur, 'preventative maintenance' prior to a crossing just makes sense.  Did I read Allure will do the same

Well, I will go with the language of the statement as opposed to the speculation of this thread.

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

I concur, 'preventative maintenance' prior to a crossing just makes sense.  Did I read Allure will do the same

Cant remember what’s happening with Allure as they had quite a few sailings cancelled. Her drydock is at the start of the season so I don’t see a reason (time wise) yo perform the bearing maintenance early in Freeport. 

7 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Well, I will go with the language of the statement as opposed to the speculation of this thread.

This might change your mind. If it does not, no one can.

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Cant remember what’s happening with Allure as they had quite a few sailings cancelled. Her drydock is at the start of the season so I don’t see a reason (time wise) yo perform the bearing maintenance early in Freeport. 

I was thinking maybe the non stop usage of a TA could take a toll on her.

Just now, reallyitsmema said:

There is no argument.  Just because I choose to not agree with all the speculation, does not make it an argument.

You do know the statement you reference wasn't even a press release.  It was an email from customer service more than likely. 

Why don't you disagree with the Cheng? 

Just now, John&LaLa said:

You do know the statement you reference wasn't even a press release.  It was an email from customer service more than likely. 

Why don't you disagree with the Cheng? 

John, I have no intention of going back and forth with you on this.  As far as Cheng, not sure what you are getting at.  Maybe JC will come and play back and forth with you tonight.  I have stated my opinion and I really do not need to justify it.

Just now, reallyitsmema said:

John, I have no intention of going back and forth with you on this.  As far as Cheng, not sure what you are getting at.  Maybe JC will come and play back and forth with you tonight.  I have stated my opinion and I really do not need to justify it.

Cheng feels it was preventative maintenance,  and the email author likely did not have a clue as to the technical terms.  I really dont know why you are singling out Ken and I. 

2 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Cheng feels it was preventative maintenance,  and the email author likely did not have a clue as to the technical terms.  I really dont know why you are singling out Ken and I. 

Ken commented twice to my post, you agreed with his post, so I multi quoted.  Not sure how that is singling out anyone?  Was Ken singling me out because he quoted me twice?  I commented on the statement, he disagreed, I commented back, so did he and then you, and then I responded.  Thought that is how a message board and a discussion works?  You then started to try to drag me into this back and forth that is really not adding anything to the discussion.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, molsonschooner said:

I think I read that Allure is scheduled for the same thing

Have there been any reports yet about the actual damage to the drydock.  If it cannot be repaired in time those plans might need to change.

Roy

1 hour ago, reallyitsmema said:

The language of the statement is by some PR person on-shore that has no direct knowledge of the maintenance and servicing of the azipods.

If you go back in the thread, I made a post that I thought that the ship had an on-going propulsion problem.  It was pointed out to me that I was wrong.  As I thought about it, I agreed I was wrong and this was a pre-emptive maintenance issue.  Month's ago they determined they were getting close to the mean time between failure and decided to do the Freeport semi dry-dock instead of waiting for another month and doing it Europe for potentially any number of reasons.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Aqua Theater contains 4 muster stations.  Getting the theater seating and the general area safe for guest traffic is likely a relatively easy job and allows them to sail without modifying the muster plan.  

Perhaps they will run a modified aqua show without certain elements that require the platforms to move.  If they can fix the platforms at the bottom they could still perform diving from all levels and some components of normal aqua show.  Or it could be CATS! on Ice!.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, twangster said:

The Aqua Theater contains 4 muster stations.  Getting the theater seating and the general area safe for guest traffic is likely a relatively easy job and allows them to sail without modifying the muster plan.  

Perhaps they will run a modified aqua show without certain elements that require the platforms to move.  If they can fix the platforms at the bottom they could still perform diving from all levels and some components of normal aqua show.  Or it could be CATS! on Ice!.  

More diving, less splashing

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Perhaps they will run a modified aqua show without certain elements that require the platforms to move.  If they can fix the platforms at the bottom they could still perform diving from all levels and some components of normal aqua show.

I've never seen the aqua show (or cruised RCL, for that matter), and hope the AquaTheater is fully functional for our sailing (June 9).  I wonder how long the cast would need to practice a new (modified) routine for safe performance; and if there is a training facility somewhere that is utilized for such practice, training new perfomers, show development etc.

For veterans of the Oasis class, are rehearsals for the aquatic show done routinely during cruises?  If so, are they "closed" events?

Edited by willde

39 minutes ago, willde said:

I've never seen the aqua show (or cruised RCL, for that matter), and hope the AquaTheater can be restored for our sailing (June 9).  I wonder how long the cast would need to practice a new (modified) routine for safe performance; and if there is a training facility somewhere that is utilized for such practice, training new perfomers, show development etc.

For veterans of the Oasis class, are rehearsals otherwise done routinely during cruises?  If so, are they "closed" events?

Aqua cast will rehearse out of costume in the aqua theater during a cruise with guests present.  You may see brief glimpses of the show but typically not a full run through.  More often than not they are staying in shape physically and mentality preparing.  Sometimes you see them as an individual going through the motions of a scene all on their own wandering around, moving their bodies as they step through their performance in their minds.

A cast has a finite contract that usually involves up to 7 months on the ship that starts with an additional two or more months of prep work in Miami at Royal's entertainment facility there.   As their contract end is approaching a new cast comes onboard and starts preparing to take over the show.  For a month both the old and new cast live onboard.  In the aqua theater there is no hiding their rehearsals.  As the weeks progress and the new cast becomes proficient enough to take over the show the stage manager promotes them to assume the live show and the old cast gets to stand down.  

The same occurs with main theater shows except the doors are closed and no guest sees the new cast rehearsals going on for the month it takes for them to earn the right to assume the show and allow the old cast to get ready to debark at their contract end.  

Every cast has a designated dance captain or dive captain whose job it is to monitor and mentor other cast.  People get sick, costumes break, lifts get stuck.  The dance captain's job is to figure out how to keep the show going in a modified manner "blocking" around the missing performer or set piece that isn't quire right.  For example in moderate seas where there is some ship motion but not enough to cancel a show, cast might not wear high heels on stage, or a particular scene is eliminated all together.  The dance captain's job is too figure this out so that guests have no clue that the show has been modified in some subtle way.  It's live theater and ship happens.  

The aqua cast have the official aqua theater show but often there is a 2nd show that appears only in the cruise compass.  This show is a lot more ad hoc, the cast have a script they follow but it isn't the full production event.   The cast sometimes like these shows because they some latitude to play a little bit.  If they want to turn a two twist dive into a backflip with a half turn they can without being called to task for it.  For the main event they are expected to execute the show exactly as designed.  

These types of aqua shows might still be possible to perform even if the main event can't be, or perhaps 90% of the main show can go as planned but subtle parts will be modified to work around limitations from the crane incident if there are any.

Or it's CATS! on Ice! in Studio B.  🙂 

Edited by twangster
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, fsjosh said:

So if you had a once in a lifetime cruise scheduled two years out, would you rather it get cancelled because one part of the ship is out of service or still cruise and have the aquatheater be closed? 

I think thats their way of saying the theater will be closed. If they get it fixed, great, but, in the meantime, go ahead and start preparing guests for it. 

To be honest if they manage to get the area useable and find another show to put on, then I think that’s ok.  What would concern me if they just decided to effectively “rope off” the whole back of the ship and leave it until dry dock in September 🙂.

would be a shame missing the Full aqua show, but if it was an alternative showing it that venue, the. I think that’s ok.

I find it funny how some people just do not have basic reading comprehension. On a FB  page One passenger received this email and was throwing a fit due to RCI’s non-communication And how they will give another update on April 12 for the May 5 sailing. They are criticizing the lack of information right now considering their trip. 

Where in the email it’s pretty clear that they plan on making the May 5 sailing.  I don’t know but myself and others see this email communication as a positive sign. And they are honest with the fact that the amphitheater might not be ready in time but from there and the cruise is still set to go

Edited by mousefan73
Typo
  • Like 8