Camera choice for Alaska?

spraynet

Going to Alaska this Sept and don't have a decent camera yet. I'm really struggling between either buying a nice DSLR outfit with a few lenses and carrying case which would net me some nice shots but will be a pain in the rear to lug around. Or, getting a small compact camera which would be so much easier to tote around but I don't know about the picture quality!

I'm just really torn between convenience and picture quality.  I would like to develop several into say 8.5 x 11 for framing, but not sure if I need a real DSLR for that?

Any help appreciated. 

Have you looked into a mirrorless?  It allows for the beautiful shots of a DSLR, but with the size of a compact.  I switched from my Canon over to the Sony A6000 mirrorless and do not regret it one bit.  I took the attached on my Sony, using a zoom lens.

Whales.jpg

• Like 3

I searched these forums for the same reason and I just bought the Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 for my first trip to Alaska this August and I'm in the process of learning how to properly use it. I like the fact that I can just roll 4K video ( for whale watching ) and easily grab my still shots that are of nice quality and I like the zoom that I have with this camera.

2 hours ago, Daveintb said:

I searched these forums for the same reason and I just bought the Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 for my first trip to Alaska this August and I'm in the process of learning how to properly use it. I like the fact that I can just roll 4K video ( for whale watching ) and easily grab my still shots that are of nice quality and I like the zoom that I have with this camera.

We've had our FZ1000 bridge cameras for a couple of years now, and we absolutely love them. We recently bought a Sony a6000 for each of us because we thought we needed cameras with interchangeable lenses. However, we both like our Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 cameras so much more. They will definitely be coming with us to Alaska.

Graham Houghton has some really useful videos on the FZ1000 on YouTube, and he has just completed a great manual for that camera. My husband bought the black and white version on Amazon, and I ordered the color pdf from Graham on his website.

I have a Canon SX-40.  It has a 35X zoom and it is about seven years old.  The current model has something like a 65X zoom.  I have taken over 8,000 pictures with the camera and have been very happy with it.

I have a large Canon DSLR that I lug around.  However, I have a Sony RX10 III that I shoot with more frequently.   It takes beautiful pictures and has a 600X zoom.  It's a great camera and I'd highly recommend it.  It's a bit on the large side, but it takes nearly shots nearly as good as my DSLR. It is considered a bridge camera.

Just a suggestion, try before you buy.  If you've got a couple of cameras you're looking at, rent them for a few days  and see which one you like best.  Lots of rental companies out  there, but I've used either Borrow Lenses or Lens Rentals and have been happy with both.

I think the FZ1000 would be a great camera for Alaska.  The camera has a decent zoom and the 1 inch sensor makes it a better choice than most other bridge cameras IMO.  Also the cameras with really long zooms are nice but when you zoom beyond 20X camera shake becomes an issue even with image stabilization.  I don't think you want to be lugging a tripod around.  Again just my opinion.
Regardless of what you buy practice, practice, practice, before you go to Alaska.  It's not the camera that takes great photos, it's the photographer.

I absolutely agree on the FZ1000 or similar bridge cameras.  Compared to a DSLR, your back and neck will thank you, and the image quality is nothing short of superb.  I say this as the owner of a (now mothballed) Nikon DSLR outfit.  

Regardless of what you buy practice, practice, practice, before you go to Alaska.  It's not the camera that takes great photos, it's the photographer.

Amen.

If you don't have a DSLR, you probably shouldn't get one just for the cruise but think of where else you will use the camera. You want to have a good optical zone though. We have a DSLR, But we will not bring multiple lens as you will not have time to swap lens. The humid environment is also not good for that. I am going to get a 18-400mm lens for my camera so it will cover pretty all the range I need.

I have a good quality Nikon waterproof camera in red (if I drop it I can easily find it) that has given me great shots while whitewater rafting in the Grand Canyon, playing in the ocean and beach in Aruba, hiking in Utah and good snow pictures when out and about. It's a great camera to have, especially depending on your excursions, so you don't have to worry about it getting wet or dropping it. Fast, lots of frame choices including motion, ocean, sand, etc. It's also very compact though I do recommend getting the floating strap if you are doing any water excursions.

Renting something.....what a great idea!  I will definitely be looking into that, thank you!

I've pretty much decided that the DSLR is out, and one of the smaller point & shoot, or Bridge cameras is what I'm really leaning towards.  Yes I am absolutely going to be practicing for many months before we go. The MAIN reason for even bringing a camera is my bride wants pictures and videos of whales. 

Now with that in mind, someone on another forum I belong to said that the point & shoot are not good for getting whale shots due to shutter lag which the DSLR's do not have. But I was thinking of doing some videos and hopefully getting some whale tails hitting the surface thus being able to grab a still from that video and turn it into a picture she wants?  

If you are looking for a camera just for this cruise, I suggest renting something. However, if you anticipate regular use and developing an interest in photography, then I would consider purchasing.

Personally, I use a Canon system comprising 2 full-frame 5D bodies and a range of lenses, etc. I use Canon, as this was the first camera I purchased, so have significant investment in their lenses, etc.

However, most manufacturers have a product that meets most needs. Suggest visiting camera stores and checking the feel of various cameras and also the simplicity of the operating system/menu. Find one that works for you.

While I travel with a full range of gear, when on tours, I do not bring everything with me. Based on where we are going, I will decide on the 2 lenses I think will be most useful and attach them to the bodies. I leave the other lenses in the cabin. Also take filters, spare batteries & cards with me.

3 hours ago, spraynet said:

Renting something.....what a great idea!  I will definitely be looking into that, thank you!

I've pretty much decided that the DSLR is out, and one of the smaller point & shoot, or Bridge cameras is what I'm really leaning towards.  Yes I am absolutely going to be practicing for many months before we go. The MAIN reason for even bringing a camera is my bride wants pictures and videos of whales. 

Now with that in mind, someone on another forum I belong to said that the point & shoot are not good for getting whale shots due to shutter lag which the DSLR's do not have. But I was thinking of doing some videos and hopefully getting some whale tails hitting the surface thus being able to grab a still from that video and turn it into a picture she wants?  

I've read that most of the current mirrorless cameras can shoot video on the fly and grabbing a still shot from that video is not a complicated issue when you get back home. Like someone mentioned, rent a mirrorless and an 18-400  for a few days to check it out.

13 hours ago, shutterbug63 said:

I have a large Canon DSLR that I lug around.  However, I have a Sony RX10 III that I shoot with more frequently.   It takes beautiful pictures and has a 600X zoom.  It's a great camera and I'd highly recommend it.  It's a bit on the large side, but it takes nearly shots nearly as good as my DSLR. It is considered a bridge camera.

Just a suggestion, try before you buy.  If you've got a couple of cameras you're looking at, rent them for a few days  and see which one you like best.  Lots of rental companies out  there, but I've used either Borrow Lenses or Lens Rentals and have been happy with both.

These are the specs of the Rx10 III - "Together, a large-aperture 24–600 mm1 F2.4–4 optical 25x zoom lens"  from the Sony site.  It does not have a 600x zoom but a 25x zoom.  That is a large difference.

DON

We are bringing the Sony A6000 along this summer, and I'm so excited!  Book to sail was so short last year (Tuesday to Saturday) that a camera was an afterthought. We did bring a Sony point and shoot with us last year though.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, spraynet said:

Actually many bridge cameras and point and shoot cameras offer continuous or burst shooting up to 10 frames per second so there is no shutter lag to deal with.

Here's an example of continuous shooting with my Fuji S8200 bridge camera.  Taken from the second deck at Busch Stadium.

2wfimvd.jpg

qs1oac.jpg

10yl3ra.jpg

1zfj13a.jpg

Edited by Oakman58

Thats very good news, because many folks are telling me that the point & shoot cameras take so long to focus and take the shot that I will have zero chance of getting a whale breach or tail coming up out of the water. 

BTW....great shots there!  Were you using a tripod?

Edited by spraynet

5 hours ago, spraynet said:

Thats very good news, because many folks are telling me that the point & shoot cameras take so long to focus and take the shot that I will have zero chance of getting a whale breach or tail coming up out of the water. 

BTW....great shots there!  Were you using a tripod?

No tripod, the shots were handheld.  Because it was a sunny day I was able to use a fast shutter speed and that coupled with the camera's image stabilization I got some sharp photos.

If you shoot 4K video with the Panasonic FZ1000, you can review your video in camera and grab a still. There's no need to wait until you get home.

Also, that camera can shoot as high as 50 frames per second, as shown in this video (be sure to watch to the very end to see the playing cards fly):  

Edited by Cruise_More_Often

OK, that was really impressive!  I think I've found my camera.

Now....If I remember correctly, there are at least two different models of the FZ1000   I forget the exact titles but one has another letter in front, one has another letter in between, etc. 

Which exact model would you recommend for a camera "Idiot".  Yes.....I'm going to order it soon so that I can play with it and actually read the manual.  I really want to be fairly familiar with it when we get to Alaska.

Thank you all so very much! Your all nice folks!

I have a Sony a6000 that I took to Europe last fall with the two kit lenses (16-50mm & 50-210mm).  I just bought a 18-200 lens so I won't have to interchange lenses on my upcoming Alaska cruise. There is a discussion on this camera, along with samples of photos on this thread:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2566338-new-at-sony-a6000/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-57175863

I will carry my Samsung S8 phone for random photos on the ship.  I won't usually be carrying my a6000 around with me unless we are in port or on tours.

• Like 1