Eating fish on board

myra711

I saw someone state recently that they wouldn't eat fish on a ship; presumably because it has been onboard for days before cooking.  I haven't ever even thought about this, and often choose fish for meals...now, not so sure.  Is it generally frozen, and therefore not "bad" when cooked?  Has anyone had bad experiences with fish on a ship? (I'm sure that SOMEONE has, but I can't imagine that it is a general thing, or else how could they offer it?!)  I'm pretty sure that I have no reason to worry, but I'd like to hear some other takes on the subject.

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, myra711 said:

I saw someone state recently that they wouldn't eat fish on a ship; presumably because it has been onboard for days before cooking.  I haven't ever even thought about this, and often choose fish for meals...now, not so sure.  Is it generally frozen, and therefore not "bad" when cooked?  Has anyone had bad experiences with fish on a ship? (I'm sure that SOMEONE has, but I can't imagine that it is a general thing, or else how could they offer it?!)  I'm pretty sure that I have no reason to worry, but I'd like to hear some other takes on the subject.

Thanks!

I eat mostly fish/seafood when cruising and have not had any adverse situations or symptoms over 4 years many different ships. I don't think you have to worry 

Maybe they live someplace where fish is extremely fresh and cheap?  Like along the coast.   I'd never pay to eat lobster on a ship or most other places.  That price is outrageous!  Then again, I'm a bit spoiled when it comes to lobster prices.  I'm sure there's nothing wrong with the fish on board a ship and should be very safe to eat.

Edited by WickedRed

30 minutes ago, pbenjamin said:

Is there any evidence that they acquire fish locally, e.g. salmon in Alaska, flying fish in Barbados, etc.?

Yes. There is an exception to their provisioning and they take delivery of fresh salmon in Alaska. 

1 hour ago, myra711 said:

I saw someone state recently that they wouldn't eat fish on a ship; presumably because it has been onboard for days before cooking. 

Using that logic, you should not eat on a cruise ship because they provision once a week (for weekly cruises) an you are always eating foods left over from the week before. Fish, meats, poultry, dairy, veg,,,,,,, beer 

Edited by BirdTravels

31 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Using that logic, you should not eat on a cruise ship because they provision once a week (for weekly cruises) an you are always eating foods left over from the week before. Fish, meats, poultry, dairy, veg,,,,,,, beer 

Definitely  never eat beef on a ship! There is no room for a herd of cattle. Chicken might be OK - they could keep a few on the sun deck.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, LrgPizza said:

They will put on ice what they will use in the first couple days, and freeze the rest for user later in the trip.

If this is this case, I guess I should hit up all the seafood restaurants during the first couple of days rather than later on in the trip?

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

Yes. There is an exception to their provisioning and they take delivery of fresh salmon in Alaska. 

I saw a fresh delivery of Alaskan Salmon while on the Jewel. Served that night in MDR and O'Sheehans. It was delicious.

On 4/5/2019 at 12:41 PM, myra711 said:

Thanks!

It is all frozen, just like at home (unless you live on the coast), even in AK the fish and crab have been frozen because it is frozen as soon as it is caught. There is nothing to worry about as far as freshness.

On 4/5/2019 at 11:41 AM, myra711 said:

Thanks!

If people are worried about fish let them eat whatever but does anyone really think a cruise line is going to serve anything that might, knowingly make someone sick? Of course the fish has been on the ship for awhile, but it has also been frozen, just like what most of us get on land. The person who said that forgets about things like chicken, etc. All is brought on prior to sailing or most is. We did see them restock produce once when we were sailing from UK to USA and had a stop in Iceland 

On 4/5/2019 at 11:51 AM, ColinIllinois said:

No worries.  The fish is caught off the back of the ship every morning ensuring the freshest product available.   Nothing to worry about.

yep, that is why they don't serve Lobster anymore. The Lobsters stopped swimming in deep water. 

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 11:51 AM, ColinIllinois said:

No worries.  The fish is caught off the back of the ship every morning ensuring the freshest product available.   Nothing to worry about.

It is fun to watch them pull in the nets and the sunrise at the same time each morning, isn't it.  LOL

I can remember when I first started cruising...if you went to the back of the ship you would see the line of garbage that had been thrown out.....now that would have been good bait for a sunrise catch🤗

On 4/5/2019 at 7:51 AM, pbenjamin said:

Is there any evidence that they acquire fish locally, e.g. salmon in Alaska, flying fish in Barbados, etc.?

Seabourn, for instance, takes guests shopping with the chef in various ports to pick up local seafood.  When we were shopping with him once at a seafood market in Barbados he said to have the sushi that night, as it was obviously going to be very fresh.