Cruising over Christmas

Samiaam25

For those who have cruised over the holidays... I am considering a cruise over Christmas this year for myself and my 14 year old daughter, since the dynamics of our family have changed drastically over the last year and I don’t love the thought of spending Christmas at home with not much to do... I’m trying to gauge what Caribbean cruises are like over Christmas in terms of the types of people on the ship. Are there many kids? Or is it more of an older/adult crowd? Do cruise lines do anything special for Christmas? Do the ports have any holiday experiences? Or is it just another day to everyone? I’m looking at  a Royal Caribbean itinerary with stops in grand cayman and Cozumel. Any insight anyone can provide on the holiday experience on board a cruise ship would be so appreciated! Thanks in advance! 

Edited by Samiaam25

We’re sailing QM2 from NY over Christmas and New Year’s - looking forward to an easy (no flying) getaway.  From what i’ve heard, there are not that many young children - especially with families which ordinarily observe the holiday.  We do, but our children and grands have other plans, so we thought we’d let someone else do the decorating.

Most Caribbean islands do observe the holidays, but we will be at sea both 12/25 and 12/31- 1:1.

• Like 1

Assuming you go on a mainstream line, there will be boatloads of kids and families.  The ship will be decorated for Christmas and there will be a Christmas meal, and possibly a visit by Santa.  On Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, a lot of things will be closed on the islands.  Also, the ship will be at full capacity, with many 3rd and 4th berths filled.

Roz

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Samiaam25 said:

I am considering a cruise over Christmas this year for myself and my 14 year old daughter, since the dynamics of our family have changed drastically over the last year and I don’t love the thought of spending Christmas at home with not much to do...

By all means Go and Enjoy a Christmas cruise!

It's a great way to make NEW Christmas memories.  :classic_cool:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OCruisers said:

By all means Go and Enjoy a Christmas cruise!

It's a great way to make NEW Christmas memories.  :classic_cool:

New memories. I hadn’t thought of it that way, but love it! THANK YOU! I love that!

1 minute ago, marco said:

If you are flying to the embarkation port, book flights as soon as you can as around holidays flights sell out quickly and fares can be pricey.

Thanks! I do know flight costs can be an issue. I will be booking the cruise and flight within the next few weeks 😊

Royal does Christmas up.  We sailed on Navigator over Christmas 2017, and are going to go on Serenade this year over Christmas.  For Navigator, Santa came and the younger kids had parade down to Studio B where Santa handed out gifts.  There was caroling, light show, and snow on the royal promenade.  They had special dinner for Christmas.  It was awesome!  

• Like 1

very large family groups.   three and four generations  together.  the ship will be decorated and Ho Ho Claus may make an appearance.  if there is a port call on the 25th, expect that little to nothing will be open.

me personally will never do another one as the ship was just too crowded and far too many kids. lots of cousins traveling in packs.  

• Like 1

I love cruising over Christmas, and we are doing it again this year. The decorations are fun, Santa visits, and, at least in my experience, everyone is usually in a good mood. 

I specifically look for cruises that have Christmas Day as a sea day though, to avoid being in port with nothing to do.

If it is something you want to do, go for it. Make the memories, have a blast! 

People can always find something negative on any cruise if they want, but if you choose to have a good time, you will.

• Like 1

This sort of answers your questions.  We did a cruise w our daughter and family over Thanksgiving which is also a big time for cruising.  Worse cruise I ever took.  Wall-to-wall kids.  Slow service in the dining rooms.  The pool was full of kids.  etc., etc., etc.  

That said, my daughter and her family enjoyed the cruise tremendously so I guess that the cruise was a success as a family trip.

DON

• Like 1

On 4/6/2019 at 7:19 PM, fyree39 said:

I've never cruised over Christmas (though I have the week before), but I must say this might be just the ticket for you and your daughter. How is she coping? I hope you book, go and both have a wonderful time together.

Thanks so much! I think I am going to do it! My daughter really likes the idea. We used to have a ton of family to visit on Christmas but with unexpected deaths in the family this year, we just don't want to sit at home and dwell on how quiet and different this year will be for us during the holidays. I thought I was going to have to convince her to want to do Christmas away but she seemed excited as soon as I mentioned it! 

On 4/6/2019 at 7:20 PM, shipgeeks said:

What port are you thinking of sailing from?  I see you are in PA.  If you can drive to Baltimore or NJ, you can avoid the stress of flying to Florida.

We are in the suburbs of Philadelphia. We have done a cruise out of Cape Liberty, NJ before. Not having to fly was definitely appealing but my biggest issue with it is that the first and last 1.5 days are SO cold. I don't mind flying to Florida 🙂

3 hours ago, jessencaitly said:

I love cruising over Christmas, and we are doing it again this year. The decorations are fun, Santa visits, and, at least in my experience, everyone is usually in a good mood. 

I specifically look for cruises that have Christmas Day as a sea day though, to avoid being in port with nothing to do.

If it is something you want to do, go for it. Make the memories, have a blast! 

People can always find something negative on any cruise if they want, but if you choose to have a good time, you will.

Thanks for the tip to look for a sailing with Christmas falling on a sea day! That's a great idea!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Samiaam25 said:

We are in the suburbs of Philadelphia. We have done a cruise out of Cape Liberty, NJ before. Not having to fly was definitely appealing but my biggest issue with it is that the first and last 1.5 days are SO cold. I don't mind flying to Florida 🙂

I have taken several winter cruises (January through March) from New Your to the Caribbean and have regularly found by early afternoon of the first day that we were in or very close to 70 degree weather as we were in the Gulf Stream.  Returning, the last full day is usually chilly, but certainly not “SO cold”.   I am looking forward to this Dec. 22 sailing from New York-  when, being that much earlier in the year, the sea water is likely to be warmer.

Perhaps a sailing to the Bahamas , not so far to the east, would be more inshore and possibly chillier, but certainly the second day would be better.

49 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I have taken several winter cruises (January through March) from New Your to the Caribbean and have regularly found by early afternoon of the first day that we were in or very close to 70 degree weather as we were in the Gulf Stream.  Returning, the last full day is usually chilly, but certainly not “SO cold”.   I am looking forward to this Dec. 22 sailing from New York-  when, being that much earlier in the year, the sea water is likely to be warmer.

Perhaps a sailing to the Bahamas , not so far to the east, would be more inshore and possibly chillier, but certainly the second day would be better.

I’ve found it to be absolutely freezing. I also hate the cold weather, so I wasn’t the biggest fan of having 2-3 days of my vacation feeling SO cold (to me!). To each their own 🤷🏻‍♀️

4 minutes ago, Samiaam25 said:

I’ve found it to be absolutely freezing. I also hate the cold weather, so I wasn’t the biggest fan of having 2-3 days of my vacation feeling SO cold (to me!). To each their own 🤷🏻‍♀️

“Absolutely freezing”. might be less unlikely  on cruise to the Bahamas from New York - where it can  even be chilly when you get there.  Are you talking about a Bahamas of Caribbean cruise? 

2 hours ago, Samiaam25 said:

If you are sailing on Anthem, remember that they have the covered pool at seaplex.  They designed that class to be cold weather ships, so while it is still cold outside, there is still lots to do.  We sailed over Thanksgiving from Baltimore one year and it was 34 degrees when we sailed with a couple of inches of snow on the deck.  They heated the outdoor pool at people were in both hot tubs and pool that first night.  Was crazy, but being on a ship beat cooking...lol.  Either way, I hope you have a great Christmas cruise!  We are sailing on the 10 day Serenade Eastern over Christmas this year!  Our first as Diamond...

We’ve been doing Christmas and New Year’s cruises almost every year since my kids were in middle elementary and they are now in University. Love, love, love being on our Princess ship for the holidays. All decked out, Christmas carols,  family activities such as gingerbread house making contests, cookie decorating, Santa photos and gifts to each child. In fact, I find that we do more holiday celebrating on the ship then we ever did at home, LOL. You and your daughter will love it.

Something to think about...if you do have to fly into your port, consider going either a couple of days before the school holidays start or a couple of days after they start, as this will reduce the cost of your airfare considerably.