Is there a salad bar on the Eurodam?

KruzPrincess

I read the CC review of the Eurodam and it says the buffet has a salad area where they will mix a salad for you. There were always salad bars on my previous HAL cruises. Has that changed? I understand the whole cleanliness thing about them serving food to you in the buffet, but I really like making my own salad. Thanks in advance for any information. 😎

1 minute ago, KruzPrincess said:

I read the CC review of the Eurodam and it says the buffet has a salad area where they will mix a salad for you. There were always salad bars on my previous HAL cruises. Has that changed? I understand the whole cleanliness thing about them serving food to you in the buffet, but I really like making my own salad. Thanks in advance for any information. 😎

In the Lido, most of the foods are served up by the servers, behind the line and then the plate handed to you.  The salads are like that, you point out the items you want in your salad and they put it in a big bowl, and toss it for you before handing it to you.

There's a salad bar but it's not self serve.  The servers put the salad fixins on the your plate, but don't mix it.  As I recall, you put your own dressing on it.  If this isn't the case, please don't blast me.

Roz

1 minute ago, Roz said:

There's a salad bar but it's not self serve.  The servers put the salad fixins on the your plate, but don't mix it.  As I recall, you put your own dressing on it.  If this isn't the case, please don't blast me.

Roz

I’d never blast you, Roz. Thanks. I prefer self serve. I’m sure I’ll survive. 

4 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

In the Lido, most of the foods are served up by the servers, behind the line and then the plate handed to you.  The salads are like that, you point out the items you want in your salad and they put it in a big bowl, and toss it for you before handing it to you.

Thanks. This is a change then from my previous HAL cruises. I’m sure I’ll survive. I don’t really like my salad mixed in a bowl. Maybe they can make it the way I want. 

5 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

Do the servers have to toss it?  What if the person before me got blue cheese dressing and there's residual dressing in the tossing bowl?  What if there's an item I want on the side?

Roz

Just now, KruzPrincess said:

Thanks. This is a change then from my previous HAL cruises. I’m sure I’ll survive. I don’t really like my salad mixed in a bowl. Maybe they can make it the way I want. 

I think they just use the bowl because it makes it easier to toss without tossing items on the floor.

I used them for a small salad a couple of times, and it's pretty good.  Ingredients are really fresh.

8 minutes ago, Roz said:

Roz

No blasting here 🙂 

They have always asked me if I want them to mix it (right in my bowl, I always say yes).  I would rather put my own dressing on it, but haven't had that option 😞 Some can be pretty heavy-handed with the dressing so I always say "just a little".

Edited by Cruising-along

1 minute ago, Roz said:

Do the servers have to toss it?  What if the person before me got blue cheese dressing and there's residual dressing in the tossing bowl?  What if there's an item I want on the side?

Roz

They use individual bowls for each salad.  Not one big bowl and then serve into a small bowl to give you.  

And, as I recall, the tongs used for getting ingredients and tossing are new each time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Roz said:

Roz

It's tossed in your own bowl, and they add the dressing. They've gone to nice big bowls for the salad bar. I'm not sure about the tongs used for tossing. I get my ingredients ask for a small amount of dressing on one side and not to toss/mix the salad. And that's always what I get. 

Cruising-along is right about the amount of dressing. If you don't like your salad swimming in dressing, ask for a small amount.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

2 minutes ago, Roz said:

Thanks for the clarifications and additional info provided.  I like my salad with dressing, not dressing with salad. 🥗

Roz

Exactly! And the nice thing about the big bowls is that you can add stuff from other parts of the Lido. I like to add some chips and guac and other goodies from the taco bar. 

1 minute ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Exactly! And the nice thing about the big bowls is that you can add stuff from other parts of the Lido. I like to add some chips and guac and other goodies from the taco bar. 

I love that. That’s one of the reasons I like to make my own. I pick things from different areas. 

1 minute ago, KruzPrincess said:

Thanks everyone. Thanks for all the great information. It sounds like I may be able to get a salad that I like. Dressing on the side is a good idea. 

I get a large salad for lunch every sea day.  You definitely can get it the way you want it -- and it's so good!

Just now, Cruising-along said:

I get a large salad for lunch every sea day.  You definitely can get it the way you want it -- and it's so good!

Thanks. I eat a big salad every day while I’m cruising. I really look forward to it. 

• Like 1

They have a great salad bar....with lots of choices....

The server uses clean tongs....asks if you want them to toss with the dressing....I usually have mine tossed with a small amount of balsamic dressing....

There are bottles of extra-virgin olive oil....and possibly some other choices....which are self serve and in front of the salad bar.....

I really enjoyed these salads nearly every day......followed up by a yummy dessert.....true confession....:)

Here is a photo of the salad bowls in the Lido Market.  There are two styles.  One has a slanted appearance as below and the other does not have the slanted appearance.  Some HAL ships have both styles and some just one style. 

image.png.c46a029da6657571b1de82d59d02ef3e.png

24 minutes ago, Rowsby said:

They have a great salad bar....with lots of choices....

The server uses clean tongs....asks if you want them to toss with the dressing....I usually have mine tossed with a small amount of balsamic dressing....

There are bottles of extra-virgin olive oil....and possibly some other choices....which are self serve and in front of the salad bar.....

I really enjoyed these salads nearly every day......followed up by a yummy dessert.....true confession....:)

Thanks. That sounds great!

24 minutes ago, Crew News said:

Here is a photo of the salad bowls in the Lido Market.  There are two styles.  One has a slanted appearance as below and the other does not have the slanted appearance.  Some HAL ships have both styles and some just one style. 

image.png.c46a029da6657571b1de82d59d02ef3e.png

Wow. Thanks for the picture. Now, I’m looking forward to trying it. I hope they don’t have long lines for salads. 

31 minutes ago, KruzPrincess said:

Wow. Thanks for the picture. Now, I’m looking forward to trying it. I hope they don’t have long lines for salads. 

I think you will enjoy your salads. I ate one practically everyday on the N. Amsterdam last month. They have a great selection of extras and will make it any way you want it. The lines can get quite long but they serve from both ends (2-lines) and it moves along quickly.☺️

1 hour ago, KruzPrincess said:

On the Vista Class and larger ships there is a Salad Station on both sides of the Lido Market and each of those stations have two starting points.  With two salad builders at each station, there will be four salad builders working at any one time in the Lido Market so the lines move quickly.

It must be noted that there are also pre-made salads (bean, carrot-raisin, macaroni, etc.) located across from the aft Lido Market Beverage Station.

The salad area is a highlight of the Lido IMO.

The line moves faster than back in the old days when folks would lolly gaggle through the line and build their own.  Very fresh and you get what you want and they make it better than you would.  Much more sanitary.  Lots of choices.....Say more or less of a certain item if you prefer.  

Wish I could get a Lido salad for lunch tomorrow.......

• Like 2

I can't remember ever having the salad tossed. In my experience, the servers put the items I wanted in the bowl and poured the chosen dressing on top. I always ask for a little more dressing as they don't put on much.  Maybe this procedure varies by ship but I am sure one can ask for however one wants it. I think the big bowls are great.

Edited by SJSULIBRARIAN