Exel Suites on Mardi Gras

jsglow

When I first saw article I was thinking they were going to a Haven/Yacht Club type of experience. Then when I read the amenities...I quickly realized its just another Havana type( a notch up)exclusive area... All this does is take space away from ship...I see little value and agree if I want upscale there are other lines which offer a better experience

• Like 4

3 hours ago, robc1972 said:

More than likely not worth it.

Need to wait and see what they price out at.

As it is the regular suites on most boats arent worth the premium to upgrade.

LOL, well if you think regular suites are not worth the price, then you need to look no further. These price out above Carnivals typical offerings.

• Like 1

What I think is really messed up about this is the new Excep Presidental Suites are suppose to be one of the biggest suites to date with larger balconies and a hot tub on the balcony. But the max guests for that room type is 2 and not 5. It just doesn't add up to me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Babyfin said:

What I think is really messed up about this is the new Excep Presidental Suites are suppose to be one of the biggest suites to date with larger balconies and a hot tub on the balcony. But the max guests for that room type is 2 and not 5. It just doesn't add up to me.

Sure it does, many suites have a capacity of 2 (aft wrap Vista suites on the Spirit class as one example).  They are trying to garner a different clientele for these rooms than the one of a family for five staying in that room.  

• Like 1

We have enjoyed cruising in the Haven on NCL. The 2 bedroom suites are amazing. On Royal we just book 2 rooms because we don't see the value in the extra perks...ie no private pool area. That is what gets me to spend my money.   I just looked up the pricing for a corner suit for 4 and felt like it was very reasonable for what it offers. 

The reason why people cruise in these suites is because they want the big ship amenities; great shows, parties, water slides, ropes course, sports areas, options. But they also want the quiet and peace of a exclusive area to relax. its the best of both worlds.  

Luxury lines in my mind as I have not cruised them before don't have the youth and the fun that a mass cruise ship offers. They don't have water slides and big dance parties.

Sure you can go on multiple cruise for the cost of one of these but we are very busy and 3 or 4 cruises a year doesn't work for us we used to get 2 but now we get 1 cruise a year. Maybe one day we can cruise more I would love to be a 3 or 4 week a year cruiser but those days won't come for a while. 

• Like 7

49 minutes ago, Jenjer said:

The reason why people cruise in these suites is because they want the big ship amenities; great shows, parties, water slides, ropes course, sports areas, options. But they also want the quiet and peace of a exclusive area to relax. its the best of both worlds.  

Luxury lines in my mind as I have not cruised them before don't have the youth and the fun that a mass cruise ship offers. They don't have water slides and big dance parties.

Exactly. Just because someone might want to spend more money, doesn't necessarily mean they want to sail on a "luxury line". Many people actually like the Carnival experience, but would like a better private area for their family.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Babyfin said:

Carnival wants a more affluent couple in those suites, vs 5 college kids with too much money getting trashed.  Stereotype?  Yes.  Reality far too often? Yes.

Also, "private" hots tubs and children (i.e. a family of four staying in the cabin) raise safety concerns.

So I can see why Carnival is steering these to couples.

• Like 5

So now that others have chimed in I'll offer my opinion.  First, if I want a luxury experience, I'll choose a luxury line.  Every time.  But my view doesn't have to apply to others who may want the combo luxury/Carnival experience.  Second, this is a further erosion of the egalitarian policy Carnival was born with.  More specialty this, more specialty that.  I'm not totally opposed but I would have to see how much impact incorporating this into their ship design will affect the enjoyment opportunities for the masses.  Time will tell.    

• Like 1

We're booked in the Excel Aft Suite, Deck 12, for a 15-day out of New York.  I'm beyond excited.  I get to anticipate and dream about this vacation for a year and a half.  We love the Havana area on the Vista and Horizon, and I can't wait to enjoy the Loft 19 area.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Babyfin said:

Just to clarify, only the Presidentail suites only sleep just 2.  Some of the LS aft wrap suites sleep 5.

• Like 1

I am glad that Carnival is offering nice suite accommodations and perks.  The perks are not as attractive as RCCL Star Class, but they are not as pricey either.  I think the Excel suites look amazing.  We had already booked an aft corner suite on the Mardi Gras as our 25th milestone cruise.  The OBC we will get will help offset the cabin price.  For us, we like the ship within a ship experience.  I like both worlds.  We love to get out and enjoy the fun and activities, but also enjoy relaxing in our cabin and escaping the crowds in quiet areas.  I view the more upscale cruise lines as more formal and we like casual.  You still have to pay more money for a larger cabin on the upscale lines.  Our cruising style has changed over the years.  After 20 years of cruising, we have been there and done that at most ports.  We spend most port days on the ship. The ship has become the destination for us.  We love RCCL Oasis class ships and think the Mardi Gras will be just as spectacular. 

We are a family of 5 with 3 very active boys.  The twins are 11 and the youngest 9.  The ship within the ship concept is soooooo nice for us.  My boys can have fun while we get some private time as well.  We have done NCL Haven, MSC Yacht club.  I don't pay for a suite on RC or Celebrity because they don't have private areas (now they do but no cabins for 5).  We are booked for March 13, 2021 and excited to enjoy the private areas...my kids will be 12, 12, 11 and we have an excel suite.  

4 hours ago, jsglow said:

So now that others have chimed in I'll offer my opinion.  First, if I want a luxury experience, I'll choose a luxury line.  Every time.  But my view doesn't have to apply to others who may want the combo luxury/Carnival experience.  Second, this is a further erosion of the egalitarian policy Carnival was born with.  More specialty this, more specialty that.  I'm not totally opposed but I would have to see how much impact incorporating this into their ship design will affect the enjoyment opportunities for the masses.  Time will tell.    

I am of like mind.  It will be interesting to see how the marketing goes.  On one hand, Carnival is the family oriented FUN ship with expanding family areas and activities.  On the other hand, it's dedicating more prime real estate to spaces where children and people with children are limited or not allowed.  Can you maintain both to everyone's satisfaction? or will the reputation for one, the other, or both, suffer?  I'll let the "beards" worry about that.

30 minutes ago, naxer said:

I am of like mind.  It will be interesting to see how the marketing goes.  On one hand, Carnival is the family oriented FUN ship with expanding family areas and activities.  On the other hand, it's dedicating more prime real estate to spaces where children and people with children are limited or not allowed.  Can you maintain both to everyone's satisfaction? or will the reputation for one, the other, or both, suffer?  I'll let the "beards" worry about that.

Just how much space on a 160,000 ton vessels you think this is?  

56 minutes ago, naxer said:

I think they are balancing areas pretty nicely and on Mardi Gras they are adding multiple pool areas that I think would help with the crowding.  I would expect that everyone will find their favorite spot.  From what I see, they already do that now. There are tons of family friendly areas including the water park and all of the pools except for the serenity area and Havana pool restrictions.  Even Loft 19 will allow children.  I am past the age of worrying about areas for my children to go to, but I for the most part enjoy watching the kids play and have fun.  I don't enjoy when unsupervised children overtake areas.  I know that families must dislike it when unruly adults don't watch their actions and language in a family area.  Perhaps that's a good reason to have separate areas to go to when that happens.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RoperDK said:

I think they are balancing areas pretty nicely and on Mardi Gras they are adding multiple pool areas that I think would help with the crowding.  I would expect that everyone will find their favorite spot.  From what I see, they already do that now. There are tons of family friendly areas including the water park and all of the pools except for the serenity area and Havana pool restrictions.  Even Loft 19 will allow children.  I am past the age of worrying about areas for my children to go to, but I for the most part enjoy watching the kids play and have fun.  I don't enjoy when unsupervised children overtake areas.  I know that families must dislike it when unruly adults don't watch their actions and language in a family area.  Perhaps that's a good reason to have separate areas to go to when that happens.   

Well thought out post