Are All Regent Bookings "GTY"?

jimdee3636

My wife and I have been on over twenty cruises on various lines (mostly Oceania, Silversea, and HAL), and have always been able to choose a specific cabin at the time of booking. Last month, we put a $1000 deposit down to get on a wait list for a 24-night Lisbon-to-Cape Town cruise on the RSSC Voyager in November of 2020. Today we learned that our cabin category has become available, but our booking would have to be on a GTY-only basis. The invoice explicitly said that the specific cabin may not be assigned until the day of sailing.

We told our TA that GTY cabins are (for reasons not worth going into here) unacceptable to us, and we're requesting a refund of the $1000. My question is: is this what Regent does on every cruise? If it is, I'm not going to waste my time with them in the future. A bad cabin location can ruin a cruise. 

Clearly, most Regent bookings aren't GTY.  If you book when the suite category you want is available, you'll be able to choose the specific suite you want from those not yet reserved.  Just did this Monday.

You've waitlisted for a sold-out category.  Regent has now determined that they'll have a suite for you but not necessarily in your category...possibly a better one.  But unless they've had cancellations for your category, they can't offer a specific suite since at the moment they are all booked.  Given the total number of bookings at and above your category, they are confident that you'll have a suite hence the change from waitlisted to GTY.  The same as if your category had been listed as a GTY to begin with.

So, no, this isn't what Regent does on every cruise, or even most of them.  Just the really popular ones when people book them late.

• Like 1

Th

25 minutes ago, jimdee3636 said:

My wife and I have been on over twenty cruises on various lines (mostly Oceania, Silversea, and HAL), and have always been able to choose a specific cabin at the time of booking. Last month, we put a $1000 deposit down to get on a wait list for a 24-night Lisbon-to-Cape Town cruise on the RSSC Voyager in November of 2020. Today we learned that our cabin category has become available, but our booking would have to be on a GTY-only basis. The invoice explicitly said that the specific cabin may not be assigned until the day of sailing.

We told our TA that GTY cabins are (for reasons not worth going into here) unacceptable to us, and we're requesting a refund of the $1000. My question is: is this what Regent does on every cruise? If it is, I'm not going to waste my time with them in the future. A bad cabin location can ruin a cruise. 

Totally agree with Portolan, we did a waitlist just last year when all categories were booked. We cleared the waitlist but had to accept the cabin they assigned but we DID know the number.

We are also booked on the same cruise and looking forward to it especially after reading the blog from last years cruise on the Explorer.

Looks like we are neighbors ! We live in Oro Valley.

John

The very popular Regent cruises book early. and if you don't make the early rush, you get GTY or wait-listed.  We booked a cruise this past March 6 for an April 20, 2021 departure. Except for two very top suites, only two staterooms were available to choose from.    All the rest were either GTY or wait-listed.  Fortunately the available two were both in the category we were seeking.Today only the Regent Suit and the Master Suite are available.

I gather GTY means you are guaranteed a stateroom somewhere at the category you booked or above, or wait-listed where you may or may not get a stateroom, depending cancellations, but if you do it will be in the category you booked.  Is that correct?

So if you want a specific worm (or any worm in many cases), you have to be an early bird.

Edited by 1985rz1

Thanks to all for the explanations. I realize that a GTY booking can, in theory, eventually result in an even better cabin category for the same price. But it could just as easily result in a location that I would hate, e.g., close to the elevators. If I'm going to be dropping close to $35,000 on a cruise, I want the assurance of knowing from Day One where my cabin will be. I'll keep looking at Regent options, but now I know I'll need to avoid a wait-list situation if I want a specific cabin.

Thanks again for the insights and helpful suggestions. 

First I must ask what in the heck is a "worm"?  I have not heard the term in all of my years on CC.

The key to getting the suite category that you want is to book early (like 1 1/2 - 2 years early).  Regent cruises sell out quickly (excluding Alaska, Caribbean and Mediterranean itineraries that are "soft" for many cruise lines).

As a long time Regent passenger, I recommend booking a concierge category suite early (and deviating air so that you get the Business Class flights that you want)

I do not understand trying to save a few hundred dollars on a luxury cruise.  There are MANY cruise lines that are more affordable.  However, if you want a true luxury cruise line, go for it ....... 100%.

1 hour ago, jimdee3636 said:

Thanks to all for the explanations. I realize that a GTY booking can, in theory, eventually result in an even better cabin category for the same price. But it could just as easily result in a location that I would hate, e.g., close to the elevators. If I'm going to be dropping close to $35,000 on a cruise, I want the assurance of knowing from Day One where my cabin will be. I'll keep looking at Regent options, but now I know I'll need to avoid a wait-list situation if I want a specific cabin.

Thanks again for the insights and helpful suggestions. 

sorry

Edited by Toofarfromthesea

33 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

First I must ask what in the heck is a "worm"?  I have not heard the term in all of my years on CC.

Google provides the following:

Meaning: This proverb is used to tell you to act early or right now to be successful. If someone says, "The early bird catches the worm," he/she means that if you dosomething early or before anyone else, you will have an advantage and be successful.

• Haha 1

Toofarfromthesea - (and being Swiss I love that name!!)

Regent passengers are mostly "repeaters" - people who have sailed Regent before and love it.  My husband and I are in that category.   If we decide we want a specific suite (which is usually the case) we book a cruise as soon as the cruise is open for booking.   Right now we are booked in a Grand Suite on the Splendour for a March 2020 cruise.  We originally booked this for the Explorer (same suite different ship) for a cruise March 19 back in 2017 but could not get the Grand Suite we wanted.  Then the 2020 itineraries came out and we moved our booking to the Explorer for 2020.  Luckily for us the Splendour "took over" that itinerary and so we are on the Splendour.  All of which to say people who cruise Regent plan ahead.

For you - I encourage you to accept the guarantee.  At worst you will have the category of suite you book.  But there is every chance of a free "upgrade" to a better suite.  Take it and run!

12 hours ago, jimdee3636 said:

Last month, we put a $1000 deposit down to get on a wait list for a 24-night Lisbon-to-Cape Town cruise on the RSSC Voyager in November of 2020. Today we learned that our cabin category has become available, but our booking would have to be on a GTY-only basis. 

11 hours ago, jimdee3636 said:

I realize that a GTY booking can, in theory, eventually result in an even better cabin category for the same price. But it could just as easily result in a location that I would hate, e.g., close to the elevators.

Most things have been covered by others but as a regular and recent Regent guest who has both waitlisted and opted for guarantees the following may be of use:

• You can "waitlist" more than one grade of suite with a single deposit. If you "waitlist" the lowest grades, H & G, on a popular cruise it is more likely that you will only be offered a "guarantee"
  • When a "waitlist" clears it can result in you being offered a specific suite, a choice of suites, or just a "guarantee". You do not have to accept what is offered, but could stay on the waitlist for one of the other grades
  • "Guarantees" may result in a specific suite number being allocated at any time up to sailing in either the grade booked or higher; but you do not get to choose. Fortunately our experience with "guarantees" on Regent has so far been good and we are booked on a gty basis for our next cruise and will be happy to accept what we are allocated 
  • Penthouses A, B & C are still "available" on the cruise in which you are interested. If you book one of those you will be able to have your choice of any suites not already booked
  • You may find that further choice comes available closer to the time of "final payment" when some will cancel their bookings ................ but by that time the "waitlists" will probably be longer 
  • IMO suites near the elevators are perfectly fine on Voyager. If you are sensitive to vibration avoid suites towards the stern; also, suites directly under the Pool Deck may suffer noise from deck cleaning, lounger set-up early in the morning. The "sticky" SuiteGuru is an excellent resource to see reviews of specific suites on Regent ships
  • If/when you do make a booking and you are new to Regent then make sure you avail yourself of the Ambassador Credit. Your TA may be able to help with a referral or plenty of previous Regent customers on here will be happy to supply their details.

Best wishes in securing a cruise booking with which you are happy.

As you rightly say it is a large investment and therefore you need to be comfortable with your decision before you commit to a cruise line that you have not experienced previously.

Edited by flossie009

Just one comment.  On Voyager, whether a GTY is a good bet depends on the class that you're guaranteed in.  In the 'regular' suites, I would not want to end up in an aft cabin, at least not on the lower decks, because there is a vibration that bothers some. not sure if it would pertain to the PH's.  Not sure if this would pertain to the PH's, and I can't speak to the named suites because I haven't cruised in one on that ship,

We've had pretty good luck on the few GTYs we've booked but as a rule we prefer to book specific suites.  But that's not always possible on more popular sailings if you're close to the sail date.  

There are ways to minimize this from happening as others have mentioned.  I'd have a nice in-depth talk with my TA to see what options are available.

4 hours ago, flossie009 said:

Most things have been covered by others but as a regular and recent Regent guest who has both waitlisted and opted for guarantees the following may be of use:

• You can "waitlist" more than one grade of suite with a single deposit. If you "waitlist" the lowest grades, H & G, on a popular cruise it is more likely that you will only be offered a "guarantee"
  • When a "waitlist" clears it can result in you being offered a specific suite, a choice of suites, or just a "guarantee". You do not have to accept what is offered, but could stay on the waitlist for one of the other grades
  • "Guarantees" may result in a specific suite number being allocated at any time up to sailing in either the grade booked or higher; but you do not get to choose. Fortunately our experience with "guarantees" on Regent has so far been good and we are booked on a gty basis for our next cruise and will be happy to accept what we are allocated 
  • Penthouses A, B & C are still "available" on the cruise in which you are interested. If you book one of those you will be able to have your choice of any suites not already booked
  • You may find that further choice comes available closer to the time of "final payment" when some will cancel their bookings ................ but by that time the "waitlists" will probably be longer 
  • IMO suites near the elevators are perfectly fine on Voyager. If you are sensitive to vibration avoid suites towards the stern; also, suites directly under the Pool Deck may suffer noise from deck cleaning, lounger set-up early in the morning. The "sticky" SuiteGuru is an excellent resource to see reviews of specific suites on Regent ships
  • If/when you do make a booking and you are new to Regent then make sure you avail yourself of the Ambassador Credit. Your TA may be able to help with a referral or plenty of previous Regent customers on here will be happy to supply their details.

Best wishes in securing a cruise booking with which you are happy.

As you rightly say it is a large investment and therefore you need to be comfortable with your decision before you commit to a cruise line that you have not experienced previously.

Flossie:

You make a lot of interesting and useful suggestions. Thanks.

The reason, though, I will no longer book a cabin adjacent to the elevators on any ship is that I've had bad experiences with other guests conducting loud, late-night conversations there ("SO, WHEN ARE WE MEETING FOR BREAKFAST?...HEY, SAVE A COUPLE OF SEATS FOR US IF YOU GET THERE FIRST!...WHAT TIME DID YOU SAY OUR TOUR LEAVES?....."). Never again.

Jim

• Like 1

Not on Regent, you rarely hear anybody late at night. After the show 10-30ish its very quiet, most cabins are well sound proofed. Often more of an issue on the long corridors mid ships , its why we prefer suites aft or fore with no throughflow of passengers.

15 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

The key to getting the suite category that you want is to book early (like 1 1/2 - 2 years early).  Regent cruises sell out quickly (excluding Alaska, Caribbean and Mediterranean itineraries that are "soft" for many cruise lines).

As a long time Regent passenger, I recommend booking a concierge category suite early (and deviating air so that you get the Business Class flights that you want)

I do not understand trying to save a few hundred dollars on a luxury cruise.  There are MANY cruise lines that are more affordable.  However, if you want a true luxury cruise line, go for it ....... 100%.

Old saying: The early bird catches the worm.