For Loyalists/Cheerleaders What is likely your breaking point?

rxlowry

We took an Alaska cruise on NCL a few years ago because it seemed the best option from the travel agency and we liked it. We liked the lack of formality and scheduling. I did a Carnival cruise to the Mexican Riviera when I was in college. I talked with a Carnival representative at a travel fair at work who said I could apply for the Carnival loyalty program using the photograph I had, but when I tried they said I needed additional documentation. The cruise was December 1984 - there's no way I had additional documentation. And the only thing I would have gotten for my second cruise with Carnival is a bottle of water. That left a bad taste in my mouth - if they aren't willing to honor that loyalty, I figure they aren't the kind of company who would honor my business in the future. So we just booked on NCL again for the Caribbean, on the Breakaway.

On 4/11/2019 at 3:37 PM, Bocadude85 said:

We are very close to our breaking point with NCL, they seem to be constantly taking away amenities and or adding a surcharge for items that used to be included in the cruise fare, we love the NCL suite life but over the years the prices have continued to climb while the amenities have continued to decline. We paid almost 10k for the least expensive suite on our upcoming Spirit cruise, I haven’t priced it out but I’m thinking we could have sailed with Oceania for that price.  I’m fine with NCL increasing the prices as long as they add additional amenities that justify the price increases. I’m sure these issues are not specific to NCL but I have no experience with the other lines so I can not make a comparison. 

I too like the suites and Havens but the avg price is now $10k & up. Add tours, tips, airline, and it's pushing 12-14k.

On 4/11/2019 at 7:08 PM, ready2cruzagain said:

What amazes me about the Jade is that it is such an old ship compared to others but yet the price is like it is 2014 or above.

Agreed, I would have thought that the older ships, even though remodeled, would be less expensive than a new ship but it seems that they actually cost more.

6 hours ago, Phaedrus78 said:

I just get get tired of the people that seem to hang out on a cruise line’s board just for the purpose of trashing that line and by extension the people who choose it. 

I don't think this is "a cruise line's board." This is Cruise Critic." So there will always be critiques on any of the boards and threads. As someone else mentioned, if you only want "positive" & "fluffy" comments, FB would be a better bet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/11/2019 at 2:51 PM, rxlowry said:

On most threads when a change is discussed, there are always posters who act like it doesn't phase them.  Charge for room service?  Never used it.  No straws.  Don't need them.  No Towel animals.  Seen them all.  No Chocolate on pillow.  Never ate it.  Lobster gone.  You can buy it at grocery store.  There's always an answer from them.

So what would make you rethink NCL and explore another line?

I'm not a cheerleader and spread my $$ across a number of cruise lines, but that is a question that I have been pondering lately.  I don't have the answer just yet, but in the end it would be an accumulation of fine print, upcharges, cutbacks, and pricing games that would have me move away from a single cruise line.

Every few weeks, the seems to be a revised NCL "policy" or fee structure change.  Yes, that is true on other lines, but not nearly to the degree that is NCL.   Dining packages are now limited on the number of courses and upcharges on certain dishes and restaurants.  Drink prices on common drinks to squeeze $ out of package holders.  The list goes on and on.  You shouldn't need a flowchart to understand all of the fine print in these "free" packages.  The straw thing just comes off as incredibly cheap.  Even the cheapest bar or restaurant gives out straws.  The large number of cuts makes me wonder about cutbacks that we don't see that could affect health or safety of passengers.

I'm not saying that we are out of NCL, or mass market cruising overall.  However, we do plan to start looking at moving up on the cruise line food chain to lines with higher levels of service and fewer upcharges.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, davy jones said:

I'm not a cheerleader and spread my $$ across a number of cruise lines, but that is a question that I have been pondering lately.  I don't have the answer just yet, but in the end it would be an accumulation of fine print, upcharges, cutbacks, and pricing games that would have me move away from a single cruise line.

Every few weeks, the seems to be a revised NCL "policy" or fee structure change.  Yes, that is true on other lines, but not nearly to the degree that is NCL.   Dining packages are now limited on the number of courses and upcharges on certain dishes and restaurants.  Drink prices on common drinks to squeeze $ out of package holders.  The list goes on and on.  You shouldn't need a flowchart to understand all of the fine print in these "free" packages.  The straw thing just comes off as incredibly cheap.  Even the cheapest bar or restaurant gives out straws.  The large number of cuts makes me wonder about cutbacks that we don't see that could affect health or safety of passengers.

I'm not saying that we are out of NCL, or mass market cruising overall.  However, we do plan to start looking at moving up on the cruise line food chain to lines with higher levels of service and fewer upcharges.

So you dont like the "FEE" at sea promotions?

Edited by Newleno
  • Haha 1

On 4/14/2019 at 8:27 PM, kitty-sail said:

I too like the suites and Havens but the avg price is now $10k & up. Add tours, tips, airline, and it's pushing 12-14k.

Not sure what you’re looking at, but I’ve never spent more than $4,800 for a Haven Suite (most of the time, a lot less).  That includes all the perks and is for 2 passengers.

Edited by graphicguy

I'd say I'm just about at that point with all the changes NCL has made.  I've always been their biggest cheerleader, raving about our cruises.  We've been on the Breakaway three years in a row and just got off the Escape two weeks ago.  Starting way back:  they've taken lobster out of the main dining room, then lobster out of Cagney's, now Le Bristo and Food Republic.  The only place to get lobster is Bayamo and then they charge you an additional $10 on top of using a dining credit on on top of charging a $15 upcharge to eat there!.  They even want to charge extra for shrimp at Bayamo!  This is total BS and I feel they are just gouging their customers.  Carnival and RCL has lobster for free in the main dining room.  Funny how they can afford to do it, but NCL can't?  Also, It really rubbed me the wrong way when they announced they were implementing the Premium Beverage Package of $29.99 a day extra, in addition to using one of your free perks on the drink package.  After paying the gratuities, plus the $29.99 a day, guess what?  They are charging the same price as Carnival's $55/day Cheers package.  I have booked my next cruise on Carnival and will not be returning to NCL.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ksmcdonald said:

I'd say I'm just about at that point with all the changes NCL has made.  I've always been their biggest cheerleader, raving about our cruises.  We've been on the Breakaway three years in a row and just got off the Escape two weeks ago.  Starting way back:  they've taken lobster out of the main dining room, then lobster out of Cagney's, now Le Bristo and Food Republic.  The only place to get lobster is Bayamo and then they charge you an additional $10 on top of using a dining credit on on top of charging a $15 upcharge to eat there!.  They even want to charge extra for shrimp at Bayamo!  This is total BS and I feel they are just gouging their customers.  Carnival and RCL has lobster for free in the main dining room.  Funny how they can afford to do it, but NCL can't?  Also, It really rubbed me the wrong way when they announced they were implementing the Premium Beverage Package of $29.99 a day extra, in addition to using one of your free perks on the drink package.  After paying the gratuities, plus the $29.99 a day, guess what?  They are charging the same price as Carnival's $55/day Cheers package.  I have booked my next cruise on Carnival and will not be returning to NCL.  

We have never been NCL cheerleaders but we love their freestyle. We have been on NCL since 2009 and have only cruised with them and we definitely see the changes and grand majority not for the better.  We have 6 cruise certificates left and then we will see. We are now looking into MSC but have yet to make up our minds. Have fun on your next cruise

• Like 1

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Not sure what you’re looking at, but I’ve never spent more than $4,800 for a Haven Suite (most of the time, a lot less).  That includes all the perks and is for 2 passengers.

Why pay $4,800 per person for the Haven when you can get a YC Deluxe Suite on MSC for less then 1/2 that price?? You can usually get a YC Deluxe Suite on the Seaside for around $4,000 (sometimes less) and it actually includes MORE then the Haven.

58 minutes ago, spanishguy1970 said:

We have never been NCL cheerleaders but we love their freestyle. We have been on NCL since 2009 and have only cruised with them and we definitely see the changes and grand majority not for the better.  We have 6 cruise certificates left and then we will see. We are now looking into MSC but have yet to make up our minds. Have fun on your next cruise

Do it! You won't regret it. For basically the price of a Mini-Suite on NCL you can get a Deluxe Suite in the YC on Seaside. It's AMAZING! Certainly worth the experience.

• Like 1

Just now, DaCruiseBug said:

Why pay $4,800 per person for the Haven when you can get a YC Deluxe Suite on MSC for less then 1/2 that price?? You can usually get a YC Deluxe Suite on the Seaside for around $4,000 (sometimes less) and it actually includes MORE then the Haven.

That’s not per person, that’s for the Haven Spa Suite for both passengers, as I noted.

The least I paid for a Haven was $4,200 all in, for two, with all the perks thrown in.

I’ve sailed the YC.  I like it....not as much as the Haven, but I did like it.

When I sailed (out of MIA and Barcelona) in 2017, it was a great deal.  Now, MSC has priced it as high, or higher than the Haven.

1 minute ago, graphicguy said:

That’s not per person, that’s for the Haven Spa Suite for both passengers, as I noted.

The least I paid for a Haven was $4,200 all in, for two, with all the perks thrown in.

When I sailed (out of MIA and Barcelona) in 2017, it was a great deal.  Now, MSC has priced it as high, or higher than the Haven.

Haven...$4,200 for 2? Show me 1 sailing coming up for that price...

Also, the YC hasn't gone up as much as people think. Still plenty of deals around $4,000 (with the 5% discount).

11 minutes ago, DaCruiseBug said:

Haven...$4,200 for 2? Show me 1 sailing coming up for that price...

Also, the YC hasn't gone up as much as people think. Still plenty of deals around $4,000 (with the 5% discount).

Quick search....actually the first one that just popped up for a Haven Spa Suite....

https://www.ncl.com/booking-quote?guestCount=2&itineraryCode=BREAKAWAY7MIARTBBPICMACZMMIA&shipCode=BREAKAWAY&residentOf=OH&sailMonths=4294953364&selectedStateroomMeta=HAVEN&voyageId=13170166&activeStep=1&activePanel=3&quoteGuests=1|217573449|0&sailDate=2019-04-28

The one I took for $4,200 was last year.  The least expensive Haven I had was $3,800 for two.

The last MSC YC cabin I had cost $4,800.  But, that was 2017.  I know the ones I’ve checked since then have all been higher for YC in MSC.

4 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Quick search....actually the first one that just popped up for a Haven Spa Suite....

https://www.ncl.com/booking-quote?guestCount=2&itineraryCode=BREAKAWAY7MIARTBBPICMACZMMIA&shipCode=BREAKAWAY&residentOf=OH&sailMonths=4294953364&selectedStateroomMeta=HAVEN&voyageId=13170166&activeStep=1&activePanel=3&quoteGuests=1|217573449|0&sailDate=2019-04-28

The one I took for $4,200 was last year.  The least expensive Haven I had was $3,800 for two.

The last MSC YC cabin I had cost $4,800.  But, that was 2017.  I know the ones I’ve checked since then have all been higher for YC in MSC.

Ok so a last minute cruise (10 days away) on the Breakaway...still comes out to $5,000...

Untitled.png

Just now, DaCruiseBug said:

Ok so a last minute cruise (10 days away) on the Breakaway...still comes out to $5,000...

Untitled.png

Again, that was the first one that popped up.  I’ve actually done better than that, most of the time.

Whatever cruise line you like, go with it.  Doesn’t matter to any of us here, I’m betting.  If you don’t like NCL, stay away from them.  

But, I didn’t have much trouble finding good Haven fares.  And, they’re certainly not $10K-$12K like what’s been posted when I look.

Shop around.  I’m not going to do that for you.

4 minutes ago, DaCruiseBug said:

Untitled.png

So am I reading this right?  NCL charges you over $308 so you dont have to pay gratuitites that cost about $308? your kidding me

2 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Again, that was the first one that popped up.  I’ve actually done better than that, most of the time.

Whatever cruise line you like, go with it.  Doesn’t matter to any of us here, I’m betting.  If you don’t like NCL, stay away from them.  

But, I didn’t have much trouble finding good Haven fares.  And, they’re certainly not $10K-$12K like what’s been posted when I look.

Shop around.  I’m not going to do that for you.

You're not going to shop around because you know you won't find a Haven suite for $4,200 out the door with perks. That's the real issue. You didn't think anyone was going to call you out on it. If people say they're paying $10K for a Haven Suite it's because that's what they go for on some popular sailings. The average price for the lowest Haven category is rarely underl $6K per cabin. This $5,000 fare you posted is probably one of the cheapest you'll find...on a ship that's 6+ years old...a very basic itinerary...during very slow season.

Here's $4,000 on MSC btw...

Untitled.png

5 minutes ago, Newleno said:

So am I reading this right?  NCL charges you over $308 so you dont have to pay gratuitites that cost about $308? your kidding me

The $308 is for the "free" beverage package and the "free" dining package. They even nickel and dime their Haven guests...

35 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

My last two cruises on Breakaway have been in the Haven H5 and my next is H7 in June.  Haven't seen those prices ever.  We paid $3400 PP for H5 back in November and $3000 PP for H7.  Not complaining so much about the price because it's still less than Celebrity.  But I like your prices much better...perhaps peak season is priced differently.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

My last two cruises on Breakaway have been in the Haven H5 and my next is H7 in June.  Haven't seen those prices ever.  We paid $3400 PP for H5 back in November and $3000 PP for H7.  Not complaining so much about the price because it's still less than Celebrity.  But I like your prices much better...perhaps peak season is priced differently.

I tend to not vacation/sail during peak season, on any cruise line.  Just my personal preference.

6 minutes ago, DaCruiseBug said:

This $5,000 fare you posted is probably one of the cheapest you'll find...on a ship that's 6+ years old...a very basic itinerary...during very slow season.

Here's $4,000 on MSC btw...

Untitled.png

I agree with you that MSC often is MUCH cheaper than NCL but graphicguy only give the information he find when he search. We have no reason to say that he is wrong just because he don't agree with us. He find prices for NCL I normally not find but I have no reason not to believe what he say just because of that.

Isn't your $4000 MSC cruise also a very basic itinerary during very slow season? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

I agree with you that MSC often is MUCH cheaper than NCL but graphicguy only give the information he find when he search. We have no reason to say that he is wrong just because he don't agree with us. He find prices for NCL I normally not find but I have no reason not to believe what he say just because of that.

Isn't your $4000 MSC cruise also a very basic itinerary during very slow season? 

Yes it is, but it isn't last minute like the $5,000 ($1,000 more expensive) he gave an example of.

For $4,600 you can sail on the Seaside in July (high season) and book your cabin 1 year out.

I guess i'm a believer in evidence. You can't come on a board and use a figure for a Haven suite ($4,200 out the door) and expect everyone to just believe you. Maybe years ago...but certainly if there isn't a bookable cruise for that amount or there hasn't been in the past few months then it's not available. There's plenty of NCL apologists on this board that have undying lust for NCL and are willing to say anything to defend NCL so...until you show me a $4,200 Haven price (out the door with perks) as he claimed then I simply din't believe it exists.

Untitled.png

Edited by DaCruiseBug
  • Thanks 1