Where to eat lunch in Skagway, and is there much to see walking around?

DebInAntigua

We'll be taking the White Pass luxury car excursion in the morning. Afterward, we'll have from about 11 am until 6 pm free. None of the other excursions look interesting and our previous day is packed so a more relaxed afternoon sounds nice.

Is there much to see walking around on our own in Skagway? (can walk pretty well,  but have some moderate mobility issues... plus we aren't the most fit, so not looking to walk for miles and miles)

And what's a great place to have lunch in Skagway, any recommendations?

We enjoy the Skagway Brewing Company for lunch.

In response to whether there is "much to see walking around on our own" please understand that Skagway is part of the Klondike Gold Rush National Park.  A number of the buildings are owned by the US National Park Service and house museum exhibits.  If you have any interest in history wandering through some of the exhibits is very enjoyable.  And the visitor center has films about the Klondike Gold Rush.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hoyaheel said:

We did the free national parks walking tour and thought it was wonderful! But we're huge history buffs 😉

This was a great walking tour (easy walk also). Go to their website and you can secure tickets in your time slot in advance.

https://www.nps.gov/klgo/planyourvisit/walking-tours.htm 

I also like Skagway Brewery company.

Edited by Coral

22 hours ago, SuperCrewBear said:

We had a great late lunch at Starfire in Skagway last year.  It's a Thai place at 230 4th Ave.

I am not saying it wasn't great but I wouldn't think going to Alaska and eating Thai would be on a lot of list.

2 hours ago, gtouch said:

I am not saying it wasn't great but I wouldn't think going to Alaska and eating Thai would be on a lot of list.

Evidently you haven't been around Alaska very much.  Fairbanks is practically the Thai capital of the USA.  The best Thai in Alaska I've had was at Glennallen that has almost nothing - but it's got a GREAT Thai place.

Tok Thai.jpg

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, gtouch said:

I have only been to Alaska once going back next month......but Thai food is everywhere around here and most major US cities. But thanks for the update.

I think the point is to support the local businesses, whatever they are. It may seem weird to go to Alaska and eat Thai food...but today's world is all about bringing techniques and styles of the world into a local economy and adapting styles to local ingredients to give a unique experience. I'm sure the locals appreciate having a variety in their small culinary scene. If you looked up the restaurant, you would read about how they use "ancient Alaskan salmon preparation". It sounds like a great place to try, a local hang out, that's for sharing @SuperCrewBear.

• Thanks 1

To address the original topic...Skagway is very picturesque. It is an extremely well preserved Old West town with many of the buildings along the main drag being the original buildings from the late 1890s, I think. It has that kind of Disney feel to it because it is so well preserved, it almost feels a bit made up. And it's an incredible site to see the old west at the base of surrounding mountains...my thoughts of old west towns usually bring desert scenes to mind.

12 hours ago, SuperCrewBear said:

Evidently you haven't been around Alaska very much.  Fairbanks is practically the Thai capital of the USA.  The best Thai in Alaska I've had was at Glennallen that has almost nothing - but it's got a GREAT Thai place.

Tok Thai.jpg

Good to know!  We'll be driving right through here and I love Thai!

• Like 1

On 4/16/2019 at 8:09 PM, gtouch said:

I have only been to Alaska once going back next month......but Thai food is everywhere around here and most major US cities. But thanks for the update.

You seem to forget that not everyone has the same likes, dislikes and desires as you. Just because something (Thai food) is readily available wherever it is you live, not everyone has that luxury.  This might upset you but I've ate at a fantastic Chinese restaurant in France.  Why would I eat Chinese in France?  Because we saw the place and decided it would be a great place for lunch that day.  I've also had Chinese in several other countries.  Here's an interesting article from a couple years ago about the state of Thai food in Fairbanks: Thai Restaurants Flourish in Fairbanks  P.S. There isn't a Thai place within 100 miles of where I live.

30 minutes ago, SuperCrewBear said:

You seem to forget that not everyone has the same likes, dislikes and desires as you. Just because something (Thai food) is readily available wherever it is you live, not everyone has that luxury.  This might upset you but I've ate at a fantastic Chinese restaurant in France.  Why would I eat Chinese in France?  Because we saw the place and decided it would be a great place for lunch that day.  I've also had Chinese in several other countries.  Here's an interesting article from a couple years ago about the state of Thai food in Fairbanks: Thai Restaurants Flourish in Fairbanks  P.S. There isn't a Thai place within 100 miles of where I live.

A little full of yourself. 

• Like 1