Ocean Medallion Question Thread - Part 1

Host CJSKIDS

19 hours ago, idahospud said:

No, you'll each just get one for your entire voyage.

Yes , that is correct. You will use the same medallion for both legs.

However , because you are in the USA you have to disembark in Ft Lauderdale and embark again.  (USA LAW)

This procedure takes as long as  it takes the slowest person /group  to arrive at your  meeting spot,

we met in the MDR. (This was a first for us doing a b/b.  It took us about 3 hours.) 

28 minutes ago, liamur14 said:

This procedure takes as long as  it takes the slowest person /group  to arrive at your  meeting spot,

we met in the MDR. (This was a first for us doing a b/b.  It took us about 3 hours.) 

This is one of the advantages of the Medallion. Those who don't show up can quickly be located and dragged to the meeting spot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, liamur14 said:

However , because you are in the USA you have to disembark in Ft Lauderdale and embark again.  (USA LAW)

we met in the MDR. (This was a first for us doing a b/b.  It took us about 3 hours.

32 minutes ago, Thrak said:

This is one of the advantages of the Medallion. Those who don't show up can quickly be located and dragged to the meeting spot.

That's a GREAT point! And, maybe it means there will be fewer announcements while the ship is waiting to sail like: "Will passengers So-and-So of Aloha 123 please contact Passenger Services on 9999." That time-saving aspect would be a benefit to ALL passengers! If the Medallions are on the ship, they will show up and if they're not, the ship will know the passengers are definitely not onboard....

1 hour ago, OzPilot said:

That's a GREAT point! And, maybe it means there will be fewer announcements while the ship is waiting to sail like: "Will passengers So-and-So of Aloha 123 please contact Passenger Services on 9999." That time-saving aspect would be a benefit to ALL passengers! If the Medallions are on the ship, they will show up and if they're not, the ship will know the passengers are definitely not onboard....

We once listened to that for almost an hour in an Alaskan port. The passengers were Chinese and wouldn't respond to their names or their cabin number until the crew finally got another Chinese passenger involved to broadcast the request. Then they responded right away. The Medallion's location capability would have made a huge difference.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, liamur14 said:

You have to go thru immigration on the day you return to FLL at the end of the first leg. Sometimes this will require you to get off and back on. Other times,  the officials will come on the ship and check your passport.

On 7/20/2019 at 2:03 PM, Northern Light said:

Just want to know if the card has tracking abilities.

At this time, I am not aware that Princess can actively track you with the Cruise Card. Note: every time it is swiped, there is a record.

In theory though, Princess could put an RFID chip into each Cruise Card and then actively track you like with a Medallion.

3 hours ago, richmke said:

In theory though, Princess could put an RFID chip into each Cruise Card and then actively track you like with a Medallion.

Is it not the case that cruise cards now have to be held up to the same scanner that works with the Medallion? I know on Ruby before they got the Medallion going we had cruise cards but had to hold them up to the scanner by the door to get into the cabin. There's a chip in the card.

15 hours ago, Thrak said:

Is it not the case that cruise cards now have to be held up to the same scanner that works with the Medallion? I know on Ruby before they got the Medallion going we had cruise cards but had to hold them up to the scanner by the door to get into the cabin. There's a chip in the card.

True. Princess would need to use a chip and antenna with a good Read range, and then install readers throughout the ship to track you. Who knows, maybe they do, and don't tell you (they can hide a big antenna in the cruise card). Better to be up front with the Medallions, and give you a false sense of security with the Cruise Card.

Edited by richmke

4 minutes ago, Northern Light said:

Another questions about the medallion.   Have had a few occasions when my cruise card would become demagnitized.  Can this also happen with the medallion?  

The medallions are actually magnetic, I held two in one hand once and the snapped together.  The cards on Medallion cruises do not have a magnetic strip, they're RFID. Some hotels use those type of cards as well. In those hotels they sometimes let you use your phone to unlock the door.

Edited by CruiseVA

2 minutes ago, CruiseVA said:

The medallions are actually magnetic, I held two in one hand once and the snapped together.  The cards on Medallion cruises do not have a magnetic strip, they're RFID. Some hotels use those type of cards as well. In those hotels they sometimes let you use your phone to unlock the door.

Thank you very much, CruiseVA for that information.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Barry H said:

We don't have a smart phone. The Ocean Ready app is not compatible with my Android tablet.

What are my options?

Just arrive at the port with old boarding passes?

I believe everything can be completed through the website Ocean.com.  I did everything through an iphone and only went to ocean.com to print my ocean ready boarding passes from my laptop, but in browsing the website everything was there and it looked like I could have uploaded from my PC all the same, the options to edit/remove/upload were all there.  Less than 100% on that but worth a look.

Otherwise yes just arrive with the normal boarding passes and they'll take care of it there.

4 hours ago, Barry H said:

We don't have a smart phone. The Ocean Ready app is not compatible with my Android tablet.

What are my options?

Just arrive at the port with old boarding passes?

I had the same issue with my tablet so I ended up using my smartphone. However in your case just arrive with your boarding passes. In fact I really wonder whether the time it took to set Ocean Ready up is worth the time you save checking in.

The other apps you might want to use (the main one you cannot access until you board) will most likely be compatible with your tablet even though Ocean Ready was not. I prefer to use my tablet to check daily events, my room account etc and not have to carry my phone around on board.

On 7/21/2019 at 8:15 AM, Denmal said:

With medallion...how does boarding work?   Do elites still get priority boarding?  Makes a difference for us as we like to book the sanctuary

Yes, same boarding process. No problem if you are elite. The only difference with boarding is you now use the medallion instead of your cruise card. You medallion will have your loyalty level on it. 

55 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

What does your loyalty level on the Medallion get you or what does it prove?

Same as cruise card.  Loyalty level is the same as loyalty level has ever been.  Medallion will be colored appropriately just like the cruise cards were.  No change.