Club Class dining - is it really worth $50 pp/day?

Ken the cruiser

This is the OP. Let me pose a follow-on question as we have decided to downsize to a regular mini-suite as it just doesn't seem cost-effective for us to book a CC MS. If we book an early fixed seating table for 2 and get there on time, will we be able to get in and out of the MDR in time for the early evening show in the main theater with at least 30 - 45 minutes to spare to get good seats?

The reason I ask this is because folks have mentioned that service is slow in the MDR. Our feeling is the speed of service mainly correlates with the number of people at a table and if they're eating during the prime time dinner hour between 6 - 7 pm. From our experience when we are at a table for 2 on other lines when the MDR first opens, it usually takes about 70-90 minutes for dinner. Would that be a good estimate for dinner in the MDR, especially if we get there at 5 pm when it opens?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, OCruisers said:

Club Class Dining is working out great the way is it.  No need for any changes.  :classic_cool:

Absolutely agree! 

I usually smile a bit when I see an "is it worth it" post.  "One man's trash is another one's treasure" is one of my favorite sayings.  There are many things on this earth that I wouldn't spend a dime or an extra dime on.  Equally, there are things I'm totally willing to spend on which not doubt would cause eyeball rolling among some.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, miagirl said:

Absolutely agree! 

I usually smile a bit when I see an "is it worth it" post.  "One man's trash is another one's treasure" is one of my favorite sayings.  There are many things on this earth that I wouldn't spend a dime or an extra dime on.  Equally, there are things I'm totally willing to spend on which not doubt would cause eyeball rolling among some.  

Well said. It’s definitely “worth it” for me. That certainly doesn’t mean it’s “worth it” for another. 

WALDT

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

This is the OP. Let me pose a follow-on question as we have decided to downsize to a regular mini-suite as it just doesn't seem cost-effective for us to book a CC MS. If we book an early fixed seating table for 2 and get there on time, will we be able to get in and out of the MDR in time for the early evening show in the main theater with at least 30 - 45 minutes to spare to get good seats?

You are correct that the larger the table, the longer it takes...     We find that towards the end of the cruise, we eat less and less.  Skip the appetizer and dessert.   Not good at a large table because we have to sit while others eat.   I never thought of doing a 2 table to get out earlier, but I bet it would work for you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

The reason I ask this is because folks have mentioned that service is slow in the MDR. Our feeling is the speed of service mainly correlates with the number of people at a table and if they're eating during the prime time dinner hour between 6 - 7 pm. From our experience when we are at a table for 2 on other lines when the MDR first opens, it usually takes about 70-90 minutes for dinner. Would that be a good estimate for dinner in the MDR, especially if we get there at 5 pm when it opens?

Traditional dining times on the Crown over Christmas were 5:15 and 7:15 with show time 2 hours later.  We had late dinner and absolutely no trouble getting good seats 15 minutes before the late show time.  The only night the service was slow was the first (we had a table for 2) but still we got good seats for the show. 

Edited by capriccio
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, compozer said:

You are correct that the larger the table, the longer it takes...     We find that towards the end of the cruise, we eat less and less.  Skip the appetizer and dessert.   Not good at a large table because we have to sit while others eat.   I never thought of doing a 2 table to get out earlier, but I bet it would work for you.

True. There's nothing worse then wanting to eat dinner & have to listen to all the dribble of what the others did all day long.

6 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

In CC you always get a table for two and we are usually done in 45 minutes. In MDR we budget at least an hour and a half for dinner.  

Yes & no, depending on how many courses you order this is true but even in the regular dining section you can speed up the process just by asking the waiter.

25 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

True. There's nothing worse then wanting to eat dinner & have to listen to all the dribble of what the others did all day long.

If you're going to demean people, at least use the right word.  Drivel.

Edited by bemis12
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

In CC you always get a table for two and we are usually done in 45 minutes. In MDR we budget at least an hour and a half for dinner.  

You do not always get a table for two.

There are more larger tables than 2 tops.  When it was first introduced, they would ask if we wanted to share a table.    I think they do that the first night and then they get to know you and don't ask.

Just for a dialogue, will continue this thread.  Grin.

I agree with the person that said that anytime worked well for them as they ate around 7:45pm?  Well, I have to stay vertical for at least 4 hours before sleeping so I have to start eating between 6:00-6:45 and anytime at that time can be a nightmare.  So CC best for us.  I like the familiarity and fun of the wait staff (like hopefully you get at traditional, but 5:15 or so is too early for me!) and also the continuity as the same staff serves us breakfast and lunches when available.

I agree about one having the choice to pick.  While I was younger and working and being frugal and saving for retirement and all that good stuff, I would cruise in an inside, OV, or cheaper balcony room.  Now that I am retired, I can stay in any category I want. CC (M1) just fits my needs and makes me do a mini-suite (love the bathroom over the balcony bathroom!)  Now, doing a suite is going to take me some time as I just can't make myself do that yet!  Did do a WS on the Grand recently and would do them over and over in a heartbeat!!!

Also, I do CC class for the location of the minisuite and just knowing I can go to meals anytime I want and getting good service.  It has nothing to do with feeling special, especially as someone mentioned that CC dining isn't in a special room, just a side of the regular dining area (which is fine to me-don't need a special place, just my timing!). And as mentioned above, sometimes you get that special happening by the head waiter and all. Why would someone think that? Anyway, if you really want to feel "specialer" on a cruise, try for a Window Suite on ships that have them.  Now there is a good price and all the perks!

On 4/18/2019 at 5:49 AM, Expat Cruise said:

Also about the speciality dining places.  They get old too after awhile and don't like most of them and Crown Grill does get old if one were to do it every night.  Again, to me, CC is not about the food, it is about the peace of mind of going when you want too.  As I have said before, it is the traditional feel of years ago at anytime dining times! That is the only reason I do CC over another stateroom.  I guess the quality of the food is not important to me in that I know what to expect on a main cruise line and it is fine for me.

I am just glad that Princess made a new choice available to its cruisers is all.  It just happened to fit the bill for me!!!

Pooh

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, PoohUnderstands said:

Anyway, if you really want to feel "specialer" on a cruise, try for a Window Suite on ships that have them.  Now there is a good price and all the perks!

Shhhhhh! Don't tell everyone!

We actually booked our first Window Suite on the Grand for this summer. And, yes, it really is a killer deal.

In fact, the cost of a CC Mini for our cruise was over $1000 more than for the Window Suite (for a 10 day cruise)! We weren't really considering the CC Mini, because while there are aspects of CC that sound very appealing, it didn't feel worth the cost (we were going to book a regular Mini, which was $1200 less than the CC Mini). Granted there are three of us in the room, but still an additional $120 a day seemed too much for what we'd get. But the price increase for the Window Suite over the regular Mini was less than $200 total. And for that extra $200 we not only get CC dining, but all of the suite perks. TOTALLY worth it.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2019 at 5:51 AM, compozer said:

We were a little unhappy with CC dining last fall on the CB.   Every evening CC was full and several times we had to go back to the bar and wait.    The head waiter said they added more CC mini's - guess Princess thinks it is profitable for them.   They added a couple more tables on the other side of the aisle - in the MDR section.   It was busy every evening and the service slipped because they were rushing around.   We book full suites but after that experience, not sure I would go with CC mini's - would not be worth the extra cost.

This would make me extremely unhappy, since that is exactly the reason we would splurge for CC.  I am willing to pay the extra to be able to truly do anytime dining with the same waiters.  

• 1 month later...

Our experience with being in a CC MS was a matter of loving the mini-suite (L107 on the Regal) due to the layout and location. It wraps the front corner of the ship, has a split layout with two "rooms" and a separating curtain and has an oversized balcony area you could put twenty people on. The CC dining was flawless for us in terms of execution. We never waited more than maybe two minutes to be seated, the staff knew us by name and knew our preferences and the food was excellent. The only negative (for us) might be considered a positive by some, but we were never seated with other diners; always at a table for two. We chatted with tables around us but by its nature we weren't seated with the same people because we were anytime diners.

Our last cruise around South America on the Royal we were late MDR diners and had a table for eight which changed twice during the cruise due to people on different legs. We enjoyed the four "pairs" and getting to know some people a little better. Breakfasts and lunches were with different groups every day and that gave us the variety.

Not sure if the CC dining was "worth it" but it came with the MS we wanted and we have no regrets about the bit extra it cost because the room was what we wanted.

Edited by Cruzer1001
clarification

We booked a mini guarantee on our last transatlantic. 2 days before sailing we were upgraded and assigned to a Club Class mini. We were excited to try it at no additional cost. To be fair we are elite, so some of the perks were of no consequence as we got them already.  So to us the real benefits were the two 1/2 bottles of wine and the dining.  The wine, no biggie, not a deal breaker either way.  The dining, was nice, but... The service was wonderful. The "extra" dish was hit or miss. But where we ran into a problem was it's limitation.  We ended up meeting and becoming friend with another couple onboard. We played trivia together, went to cocktail hour and really enjoyed their company.  Halfway through the cruise they asked us to join them for dinner. Do we say, oh no, we'd rather eat in our special dining room alone or do we join them and enjoy their company.  Of course we chose to join them. We had a lovely time eating with them for the rest of the cruise, had excellent service and meals, as well. So the moral of my story is, Club Class is nice, but to me, not worth paying extra for.  As I said the service was excellent, the food was comparable to the MDR, with the exception of the "extra" dish, which sometimes we chose and sometimes not. I'll gladly accept a free upgrade if one comes my way, but I would not put the extra money into it.

On 4/18/2019 at 7:41 PM, Ken the cruiser said:

Just as is the case with land-based restaurants, the larger the table group, the longer the overall meal service takes.  Just natural human nature.  We eat at a 2-top when sailing alone now, or a 4-top if sailing with friends.  Past experience with larger tables while doing ATD was not good for us as we like to eat and go.  Never an issue getting through dinner with two of us.  With four, we might be up to an hour and a half with dessert, but a word to the waiter moves it along just fine.  Always able to make the show if need to (but again, a word to the waiter and arriving in good time to eat certainly helps).  

• Like 2

Absolutely worth it to us.... being able to dine whenever you want, having the same wait staff, eating as fast or as slow as you want......made the whole dining experience much nicer for us.  We would book it every time!!

3 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

Absolutely worth it to us.... being able to dine whenever you want, having the same wait staff, eating as fast or as slow as you want......made the whole dining experience much nicer for us.  We would book it every time!!

Completely agree for all the stated reasons. Plus, meals come out from the kitchen really quickly. Requests for replacement/additional dishes, even quicker. As I've heard but have no way of confirming, the CC waitstaff is given priority in the kitchen. 

The upcharge for the single additional item from the kitchen along with the head waiter prepared (typically) pasta dish alone likely not worth the upcharge in my mind. It's the intangibles that make it so. 

40 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

For me, I wouldn't pay $100/day for an extra dish to choose from, but everyone's tastes and situation is different.  You are already paying a ton for a suite, so extra on top of that seems excessive.

If they have a suite, they already have Club Class dining at no additional charge.