Tipping porters at ship dock in Los angeles

miss

Can anyone tell me the normal tipping rate for the porters that take your luggage at the pier for delivery to the ship?  I realize that these are not Princess employees but just not sure what they expect to receive. It doesn't look like they actually do too much.  Thank you. 

greet you upon arrival, ask if you have any bags to be removed. Take possession of baggage,  at which time a small gratuity may be presented to the longshoreman. The baggage is removed from our site to a local where it is stored and inspected.Then once the signal is given the longshoreman transfer the baggage to a larger container that will be loaded on board. Five dollars for anything weighing over 60 pounds 

True story. A couple of years ago, sailing out of San Pedro, we arrived on bus which was full of passengers, and amid the confusion, the Longshoreman was yelling "identify your luggage". We saw our luggage and with all the pushing and shoving I told my wife lets go. Our luggage never arrived in our cabin. Upon checking at the desk they said they know what happened. They took us to the room where luggage arrives and is sorted. There sat our bags with the tags torn off ! We have been on over 40 cruises and this was the first time (and the last) we failed to tip the longshoreman. $5.00 is our standard tip. We feel it was our fault and his. Happy ending, great cruise.

9 minutes ago, hootmon said:

True story. A couple of years ago, sailing out of San Pedro, we arrived on bus which was full of passengers, and amid the confusion, the Longshoreman was yelling "identify your luggage". We saw our luggage and with all the pushing and shoving I told my wife lets go. Our luggage never arrived in our cabin. Upon checking at the desk they said they know what happened. They took us to the room where luggage arrives and is sorted. There sat our bags with the tags torn off ! We have been on over 40 cruises and this was the first time (and the last) we failed to tip the longshoreman. $5.00 is our standard tip. We feel it was our fault and his. Happy ending, great cruise.

dock side shenanigans ! 

We used to tip $2 per bag.  The last few years we’ve tipped $5 for two, and if there are three of us, $10.  When we’ve used  a porter at the end of the cruise, which is rarely, we’ve tipped $15-$20

• Thanks 1

On our last cruise two weeks ago we had one of our party missing his luggage.....it arrived late with a note that is was randomly inspected......be aware just like the airport your bags are suseptable to random search even if nothing suspected after xray.

Last May, I was in San Pedro and had forgotten to put the tags on my luggage.  The man at the dock had a stapler, took care of it, and was super nice.  I gave him a $20, which was probably overkill, for being so kind.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hootmon said:

We also had tags torn off in San Pedro. I guess they didn't like our tip

9 hours ago, Splinter said:

Once had bags with the tags torn off in San Pedro. Fortunately we found it quickly before the ship left the pier.

Now I use these plastic and wire tag holders. Works like a charm:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017BVF8L6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We use ones we bought here on CC - work great and are easily reusable.

On 4/21/2019 at 7:32 PM, Splinter said:

Once had bags with the tags torn off in San Pedro. Fortunately we found it quickly before the ship left the pier.

Now I use these plastic and wire tag holders. Works like a charm:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017BVF8L6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We got these from our travel agent; wire and metal grommet

https://www.amazon.com/Luggage-TUFFTAAG-Business-Suitcase-Accessories/dp/B01EIP77MQ?tag=topluggagereviews-20

Two bags and $5.  We also use the plastic tag holders.  We always have to fly to a port, and it makes it easier to just pack that and put it on the morning of the cruise.