Poll: How Did the 4 MDR Model Work For You On The Edge?

vtcruising

Poll: How Did the 4 MDR Model Work For You On The Edge?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. For those who have actually sailed on the Edge and had the 4 MDRs for their assigned dining venues, how did this model work for you? Note: voter screen names are public for this poll

• I had Select Dining (chose times and restaurants) and enjoyed the 4 MDR model compared to the one MDR model.
    • I had Select Dining and did not care for 4 MDR model compared to the one MDR model.
    • I had Traditional Dining (assigned dining time and restaurant) and enjoyed the 4 MDR model compared to the one MDR model.
    • I had Traditional Dining and did not care for the 4 MDR model compared to the one MDR model.
    • I have no preference for the 4 MDR model or the one MDR model.
  2. 2. If you have dined in more than one of the 4 Edge MDRs, which one did you enjoy the most (taking food, decor, ambiance, seating into consideration)?

3. 3. If you had Select Dining on the Edge, how would you describe your ease of obtaining desired reservations?

• I was able to book the restaurants and/or times that I wanted.
    • I had some difficulty booking the restaurants and/or times that I wanted.
    • It was very difficult to get the times and/or restaurants that I wanted.

I am booked in an SV on the Edge for next year and wanted to get some feedback about how the 4 MDR model is working. If you have sailed on the Edge and have experience with the 4 MDRs, I would appreciate any insight. Thanks!

Note: Voter screen names are public for this poll

We booked all 7 nights in advance through our Cruise Planner. We ate in Cyprus and Normandie twice. Cosmopolitan and Tuscan once. Our Specialty choice was Eden and loved the food and enjoyed the interaction with the Edenists.  

We really enjoyed the size of the 4 MDR’s. It almost felt like we were in a Specialty Restaurant vs. the 2 level MDR’s on M an S Class ships. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RICCruisers said:

We booked all 7 nights in advance through our Cruise Planner. We ate in Cyprus and Normandie twice. Cosmopolitan and Tuscan once. Our Specialty choice was Eden and loved the food and enjoyed the interaction with the Edenists.  

We really enjoyed the size of the 4 MDR’s. It almost felt like we were in a Specialty Restaurant vs. the 2 level MDR’s on M an S Class ships. 

Good to hear! We ate in Cyprus on a preview cruise and really liked the food and ambiance. The Greek food was great! I can't wait to try the others. The one that I think is most beautiful is Normandie.

As far as specialties, we liked them all for different reasons, but the Eden food was amazing and we enjoyed the Edenists more than I thought we would. We have had 3 excellent experiences in the Fine Cut Steakhouse so that is our favorite so far.

Edited by vtcruising

30 minutes ago, RICCruisers said:

Which of the four MDRs was your favorite?

vtcruising,  just want to share our experience of the MDR's in case it is helpful to you.  We had traditional dining on the 7 night maiden voyage and we fully understood that with set dining we were assigned to one specific dining room for the entire cruise (select dining was not available when we booked).  Our dining room assignment was Cyprus and we found the food to be very good and the service excellent.

Several weeks before we boarded, we did ask if there was any way that we would be able to try all four dining rooms despite having traditional dining and a specific restaurant assignment, and were assured by the Celebrity rep that we could.  She stated that because the ship was new and they realized that folks would likely want to try all four restaurants that it should be no problem to just show up at a different restaurant every night at our dining time and they would likely accommodate.  Unfortunately once on board, this was not the case.  After some discussion with the Maitre d' in Cosmopolitan, we did manage to dine in that restaurant one evening and had the same experience as Cyprus.....both the food and service were excellent.

Since several months have passed since we sailed the Edge the bookings with the four MDR's obviously may be different now, but just wanted to recommend that you choose select dining so you have no issues at all with booking all four restaurants.  Although as a seasoned cruiser, I am sure you are already aware to do that!  :)  Enjoy your next Edge sailing ☺️

Edited by Reel Love

39 minutes ago, Reel Love said:

vtcruising,  just want to share our experience of the MDR's in case it is helpful to you.  We had traditional dining on the 7 night maiden voyage and we fully understood that with set dining we were assigned to one specific dining room for the entire cruise (select dining was not available when we booked).  Our dining room assignment was Cyprus and we found the food to be very good and the service excellent.

Several weeks before we boarded, we did ask if there was any way that we would be able to try all four dining rooms despite having traditional dining and a specific restaurant assignment, and were assured by the Celebrity rep that we could.  She stated that because the ship was new and they realized that folks would likely want to try all four restaurants that it should be no problem to just show up at a different restaurant every night at our dining time and they would likely accommodate.  Unfortunately once on board, this was not the case.  After some discussion with the Maitre d' in Cosmopolitan, we did manage to dine in that restaurant one evening and had the same experience as Cyprus.....both the food and service were excellent.

Since several months have passed since we sailed the Edge the bookings with the four MDR's obviously may be different now, but just wanted to recommend that you choose select dining so you have no issues at all with booking all four restaurants.  Although as a seasoned cruiser, I am sure you are already aware to do that!  🙂Enjoy your next Edge sailing ☺️

Thanks! I was wondering how flexible they were with the Traditional Dining people. I have heard about some who were able to change restaurants. I tried to add a fourth question about that, but I guess 3 questions was the max. 

Maybe they will be more flexible with allowing Traditional people to move around as they get used to this system. I'm glad you enjoyed both restaurants. I do have Select Dining and reservations in each of the 4, with Normandie more than others, but might change my mind after seeing what others think. 🙂

Edited by vtcruising

41 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

I have heard about some who were able to change restaurants. 🙂

Oh that's interesting!  I never would have thought of that.....were these folks who were unhappy with their assigned restaurant or waiters?  Or maybe changed so that they could experience a different dining room?  Our wait staff and sommelier were so great that changing dining rooms never would have crossed our minds.  They were professional yet fun!  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Reel Love said:

Oh that's interesting!  I never would have thought of that.....were these folks who were unhappy with their assigned restaurant or waiters?  Or maybe changed so that they could experience a different dining room?  Our wait staff and sommelier were so great that changing dining rooms never would have crossed our minds.  They were professional yet fun!  

Sorry, I meant change to try other restaurants, although it does say in the FAQs that you can request a complete change (not sure they will accommodate) and you can send in a request for which dining room prior to your cruise (again, not sure they will accommodate). 🙂

Edited by vtcruising

Any idea how it works on Apex, we’re booked on a Med sailing for May 2020. Four of our group are vegetarians, so I’d like to be able to change the assigned MDR if so required, we do traditional dining. Thanks for your suggestions 😊

We are trying the 4 MDRs in Nov on a 9 night cruise and  booked 2 nights in each of the 4 MDRs....one night will be a Specialty or possibly the buffet.

We made our res as soon as possible for a fairly early time and hope there are no lines or waiting.

Last time on EDGE,  we were in BLU but did try Cosmopolitan for lunch... liked it  We also tried Tuscan for Elite lite breakfast...very nice..loved the decor , art, service, and  intimate ambiance.

Looking forward to trying this concept on EDGE and APEX, if they offer it. We would not want to be assigned to just one of the mdrs with tradtional dining.!!

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Reel Love said:

Changing for a night or more  to another MDR gives access to the special dishes that are served ONLY in that dining room.  Otherwise the  changing nightly menus are the same in all of the MDRs  from what we have heard.

Moving around does sacrifice being able to have the same table,  wait staff and sommelier,  but we like the idea of having variety without having to pay extra for  specialty dining...esp on a 9 night cruise!  (We will use our specialty dining  budget for lunches at the Bistro,  Raw on 5, and the Rooftop Grill)

Once we experience them all, we might have a favorite and book more nights there on a future cruise.   We  hope to hear more about how it is working out. Great topic Vt!

• Like 1

We were on the Edge in its first few weeks of sailings and although our reservation indicated traditional dining, we were told to simply go to any dining room and be seated.  Trying to make reservations with the APP or online was impossible, but walk-in worked fine every evening with immediate seating. We'll be on the Summit in a few weeks, so we'll experience yet another dining time adventure.

I wish each of the dining rooms had a stronger variety of the ethnic themes on their menu. 

Darcy

Edited by WatchHill
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, WatchHill said:

We were on the Edge in its first few weeks of sailings and although our reservation indicated traditional dining, we were told to simply go to any dining room and be seated.  Trying to make reservations with the APP or online was impossible, but walk-in worked fine every evening with immediate seating. We'll be on the Summit in a few weeks, so we'll experience yet another dining time adventure.

I wish each of the dining rooms had a stronger variety of the ethnic themes on their menu. 

Darcy

Hope you post about that experience...Summit will not have the 4 mdrs

55 minutes ago, RICCruisers said:

If I have to choose it would be Cyprus. 

Thanks. I have all four booked, but suspect Cyprus and Normandie will be my favorites (based first on their venue specific specialty dishes, and second on decor).  Will vote when I return. Packing now. Only seven more days😎

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vtcruising said:

Sorry, I meant change to try other restaurants, although it does say in the FAQs that you can request a complete change (not sure they will accommodate) and you can send in a request for which dining room prior to your cruise (again, not sure they will accommodate). 🙂

LOL, my apologies vt.  Guess I shouldn't respond on these threads late at night when I'm tired and more susceptible to misinterpreting what I'm reading, haha.

1 hour ago, hcat said:

Changing for a night or more  to another MDR gives access to the special dishes that are served ONLY in that dining room.  Otherwise the  changing nightly menus are the same in all of the MDRs  from what we have heard.

You are correct, hcat.  

19 minutes ago, Reel Love said:

LOL, my apologies vt.  Guess I shouldn't respond on these threads late at night when I'm tired and more susceptible to misinterpreting what I'm reading, haha.

No, I think I was the vague one !🙂

We were in a Sky suite and did manage to get into Cyprus and Normandie.  I thought I would prefer Normandie but I had a better meal in Cyprus.  Trying to book any of the 4 on the app was impossible after boarding unless you like to eat at 9pm. We got into Cyprus because friends had booked it before we boarded and the Concierge in the Retreat got us into Normandie at 8:15pm

Edited by cruisingxpert
  • Like 1

Thanks to those who have taken the poll so far! I'm glad to see that the 4 MDR system seems to be working for most. I was concerned that there would be 1-2 of the MDRs more popular than the others so that there would be issues with balancing the diners' choices. It looks like the 4 MDRs are pretty close in popularity so that it is working pretty well. I will make sure to try them all. 🙂

We booked Traditional early dining in Cypress. Loved it. But decided to try all four. We were on a B2B so it was fun moving from one to another to another. How? Just walk up to the any of those at the entry of any of the four restaurants and ask them to book you in whatever restaurant you want to try and what time. Or call them from your SR and do the same. Did both and got exactly the times we wanted, but of course, having booked early dining, and we asked for relatively early times. They let our original reservations know and they used that table for others. 

It’s all quite easy. 

As to our favorite - all are nice. they all have the same standard menu but then have the 4 or more appetizers and 4 or so entrees that were in line with the particular restaurant. We liked Normandie the most. Seemed quieter and loved the specials. 

Go for all four!

Den

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

By the way, this is one of the best and very useful Polls I’ve seen and glad it lists who voted, so those that like to vote on things they haven’t experienced will at least hesitate. 

Edge seems to have attracted an number of posters who dislike it without trying it. which is their choice but please quit voicing an opinion on something they haven’t experienced. 

Den

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Denny01 said:

By the way, this is one of the best and very useful Polls I’ve seen and glad it lists who voted, so those that like to vote on things they haven’t experienced will at least hesitate. 

Edge seems to have attracted an number of posters who dislike it without trying it. which is their choice but please quit voicing an opinion on something they haven’t experienced. 

Not just those that dislike the concept, Denny. I think you will find there were long-standing posters who voted on Stateroom_Sailor’s poll who have never set foot on Edge, and have even quoted that on this forum, yet still voted that it was a fabulous experience. At least by quoting CC names, I agree, it does highlight those that you perhaps will have to think twice about the validity of any of their future posts - shame when it comes to that.

Edited by villauk