Jogging on the Promenade Deck

mcphreek

Jogging on the Promenade Deck  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Is jogging ok on the Promenade Deck?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/25/2019 at 06:02 PM

1 hour ago, ski ww said:

No jogging. If people would stay to their right instead of walking in the center of the deck it would be easier for others to pass on their left.

Off topic:  That depends on where you are from.  I live in a diverse community and all those folks who came from countries that drive on the left also jog/walk on the left.  It takes months to train them😉.  I am sure it is the same on a cruise ship.

8 hours ago, Wehwalt said:

Jogging requires space that is not present on a ship. Use a treadmill, please.

Some of the ships have a jogging track on a high deck. This is the K's track. Granted, it's more times around to a mile than the promenade deck, but it is a place where jogging is allowed. 

L1030148.JPG

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Av8rix said:

I can't imagine why they've removed all of the signage directing walkers to go counterclockwise.  At least Amsterdam still has a "One Way" sign with an arrow.  I'm a VERY brisk walker (NOT a jogger!) and like to do 2 miles each morning.  But because the signage directing one-way walking has been removed I have to get up VERY early to do my laps and am probably inconveniencing the crew who hose the deck early in the morning.  Anyway, those blind corners are dangerous now with folks meandering in both directions.  Uh, guess I'm slightly off-topic -- but not by much.  Apologies anyway.

I agree.  But even with the signs people still would go the "wrong way".  I've even seen someone say here on the boards that they knew they were going the wrong way, but they "liked to see peoples' faces to greet them as they pass by".....😣

DH and I are also very brisk walkers (far from power walkers though!) 

Edited by Cruising-along

19 minutes ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

We have sailed on the Westerdam quite a few and jogging was not allowed on the Promenade deck.

All I can say is it was allowed the last time I was on the Westerdam. It was allowed on the Oosterdam last time I was on that ship ( 2017) as well. Perhaps things have changed since then.

Edited by mckgreg

5 minutes ago, mckgreg said:

All I can say is it was allowed the last time I was on the Westerdam. It was allowed on the Oosterdam last time I was on that ship ( 2017) as well. Perhaps things have changed since then.

I have seen people jogging on several different ships.  That doesn't mean that it's allowed, just that some people do it anyway. Did you see signs indicating jogging is allowed?

There weren’t any signs that said no jogging on these ships when I was onboard. I asked a crewman and was told that it was okay. I have been on other Holland America ships where it was not allowed, and, yes, I do respect the rules on each ship.

10 minutes ago, mckgreg said:

There weren’t any signs that said no jogging on these ships when I was onboard. I asked a crewman and was told that it was okay. I have been on other Holland America ships where it was not allowed, and, yes, I do respect the rules on each ship.

Thanks for the explanation.  I'll be on the Westerdam in a few weeks, I hope I won't have to be looking out for joggers as I'm doing my laps on the promenade. 

22 hours ago, mcphreek said:

I get that there’s a jogging track on the Sun Deck but it seems pretty small, it’s already boring running in circles so I’m not looking forward to smaller circles (if ten miles is 30 laps of the promenade deck, it looks like it would be 150 laps of the jogging track and I can’t count that high). I realize there are treadmills in the fitness center as well, and I plan on using them too, but they’re even more boring than running in circles!

If jogging and having a view is important to you, why not jog ashore? I've run into (lol) plenty who do this, especially those who run the distances you mention.

Sorry, but just because you find running in the provided areas onboard "boring", it doesn't give you license to run in areas where it is clearly not allowed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

If jogging and having a view is important to you, why not jog ashore? I've run into (lol) plenty who do this, especially those who run the distances you mention.

Sorry, but just because you find running in the provided areas onboard "boring", it doesn't give you license to run in areas where it is clearly not allowed.

I'm one who will take a short jog off the ship.  I'm not a 10Ker, but I do like to combine my walks through town with a little jog.  I take my trail runners just in case I find a nice trail, too!   I jogged once on a ship back awhile ago (Island Princess) and I got bored really fast!  Just like I was a competitive swimmer, but I can't do laps - too boring.  I like a change of scenery!!!

You can do internet searches of "running trails in <insert city>" to find good ideas.  Also, if you are doing an Alaska cruise that starts/ends in Seattle or Vancouver, the Westin hotels in both cities have running maps that you can find online.  The Vancouver one has a 8k route and a shorter 4.8k route.

6 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

I agree.  But even with the signs people still would go the "wrong way".  I've even seen someone say here on the boards that they knew they were going the wrong way, but they "liked to see peoples' faces to greet them as they pass by".....😣

DH and I are also very brisk walkers (far from power walkers though!) 

If they're from down under, they're going the right way...👣

49 minutes ago, Sir PMP said:

If they're from down under, they're going the right way...👣

An Englishman in his car in France is stopped by a French policeman and asks if he has been drinking. With great difficulty, the Englishman admits that he has been drinking all day, that his daughter got married that morning, and that he drank champagne and a few bottles of wine at the reception, and many single malts scotches thereafter.

Quite upset, the Gendarme proceeds to alcohol-test (breath test) the Englishman and - ping, pow, boom - verifies that he is indeed sloshed. He asks the Englishman if he knows why, under French Law, he is going to be arrested. The Englishman answers with a bit of humor, "No sir, I do not! But while we're asking questions, do you realize that this is a British car and that my wife is the one driving . . . . . on the other side?"

• Like 5
  • Haha 2