Ruby level for minors

drewdrewcruiser

Hubby, son (11 yo) and I just completed our 3rd Princess cruise.  For this last cruise, we each got gold medallions.  Close to the end of our cruise, we got a letter in our cabin saying with the completion of that cruise, we would be ruby.  Only my hubby and my name was on the letter and not my son's.  Is there a rule about minors not being able to get promoted after gold status?  I was surprised he got a gold medallion because I thought minors stay blue until 18.  If getting a gold medallion was an error, will he automatically get ruby when he turns 18? 

Not sure how the medallion works since haven’t sailed on a ship that has it.  Will do this October on Caribbean Princess.

Our Son did 19 cruises on Princess while he was under 18.  He always had a blue card.  Once he turned 18 he could activate his Princess account and see all the cruises there. He also got the black card on his 20 cruise and all the perks that go with it.  He was happy!

Edited by cheeseclan
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, drewdrewcruiser said:

Hubby, son (11 yo) and I just completed our 3rd Princess cruise.  For this last cruise, we each got gold medallions.  Close to the end of our cruise, we got a letter in our cabin saying with the completion of that cruise, we would be ruby.  Only my hubby and my name was on the letter and not my son's.  Is there a rule about minors not being able to get promoted after gold status?  I was surprised he got a gold medallion because I thought minors stay blue until 18.  If getting a gold medallion was an error, will he automatically get ruby when he turns 18? 

I think he received the gold medallion in error.  

When he turns 18 he will automatically be whatever level you/ your hubby are, even if he did not cruise with you on every trip.    Until 18, he does not get any perks at all and is "blue".      

8 minutes ago, cruisintoddler said:

When he turns 18 he will automatically be whatever level you/ your hubby are, even if he did not cruise with you on every trip.    Until 18, he does not get any perks at all and is "blue".      

I think it was an error when he got the gold medallion, too.  What's funny is that he kept saying he would have rather gotten a blue one because it would have matched the blue wristband we got onboard and blue looked "cooler". 😀. We have the medallions up on our fridge now.  They're nice souvenirs. 

38 minutes ago, cruisintoddler said:

Are you sure about this? What if he only had one previous cruise? Would he be Elite if his parents were? What if he only had one cruise as a minor, his parents were Elite and he then cruised without them when he reached 21? Would he still be Elite? Doesn't make sense to me.

• Like 1

Yes he was on the cruises with his parents so still accumulates the same status.  I have a 15 year old who is Platinum (from sailing with us) but her cards are still Blue until she turns 18.  My 21 and 19 year old's both starting getting their Platinum cards after their 18th birthdays. 

11 hours ago, cruisintoddler said:

oops...that perk is with RCI........and she/he has to cruise at least one cruise prior to turning 18.

Edited by land lover

9 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

The CC status of the parents have nothing to do with the child.

The child will earn their own CC status based on the cruises they complete until they reach 18.

Child status will be in limbo until they turn 18.

That was our experience. Our son sailed with us last year for the first time after turning 18. He received a platinum card and we are elite.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Our 12 year old Son just completed his 5th cruise with Princess,  He got a ruby medallion.  Prior to this cruise he had always got a blue card. We were surprised about the ruby medallion.  Hope it wasn't an error.  He is looking forward the platinum medallion next cruise.

On 4/24/2019 at 7:30 PM, cheeseclan said:

Sorry but the person actually has to be on the cruise for it to count.  He would not be elite because his parents are elite.  He has to earn it himself just the rest of us!

This is true, but if a child sails with mother as a single parent then with father as a single parent then each set of grand parents then turns eighteen you might find they are Elite and you are Platinum because he/she is sailing four times as many times as the parents/grandparents.

Regards John

47 minutes ago, john watson said:

This is true, but if a child sails with mother as a single parent then with father as a single parent then each set of grand parents then turns eighteen you might find they are Elite and you are Platinum because he/she is sailing four times as many times as the parents/grandparents.

Regards John

Deleted

Edited by Essiesmom

I feel bad for the little one's my son is 7 and is already Elite if they were allowed to have the black card he says dad this is not fair that i don't get the black card i said its tough you have to do your own laundry now  LOL 

• Haha 1

• 8 months later...
13 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I read in a post recently that a child who is elite gets a non alcoholic mini bar setup.

What if they're in the stateroom will elite adult? Isn't it just 1 minibar? When I trade for coffee program do we each get one or do I get both then go to PSD to get hers on her card? 

It is 1 mini bar per cabin regardless of the number of occupants. My wife and I only get 1 mini bar per sailing and we have different last names and different captains circle numbers. We do however each get the loyalty OBC

On 4/24/2019 at 1:19 AM, drewdrewcruiser said:

My wife and I recently completed our 15th cruise.  At the end of the cruise we received no letter about becoming Elite, but when we sign into our accounts it clearly shows our status as Elite.  Needless to say we are really looking forward to the next cruise with FREE LAUNDRY!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

What if they're in the stateroom will elite adult? Isn't it just 1 minibar? When I trade for coffee program do we each get one or do I get both then go to PSD to get hers on her card? 

IIRC, the child was the only elite in the cabin so it was a non alcoholic minibar.  Here is a Princess Cruises Press Release from October of 2019:  "SANTA CLARITA, Calif., October 23, 2019 – Princess Cruises, a leading international premium cruise line, announced it will extend its award-winning Captain’s Circle Loyalty program to guests of all ages. The extension of the loyalty program marks Princess Cruises as the first and only cruise line providing youth passengers with Elite status complimentary Wi-Fi."

• Thanks 1