Icon of the Seas Blocks Are In The House!

A few weeks before Mardi Gras went into service she went down to Miami for a few days and the LNG fuel barge Q-LNG that Mardi Gras uses in Port Canaveral met her in PoM.    

They performed an LNG refueling in PoM that involved local port officials, USCG plus fire and rescue so they all had an opportunity to observe and learn.    Must have been a success.

New Fortress is an energy company with a new LNG liquifier operating in the area.  

https://www.newfortressenergy.com/operations/miami-florida-LNG-liquefier

"Constructed in just one year, our 100,000 gallon-per-day Miami liquefier was commissioned in 2015. It’s optimally located to supply liquefied natural gas (LNG) to transportation, commercial, and industrial users in South Florida and the Caribbean."

It sounds like LNG may be capable of being sourced locally without bringing it down from Savannah on barges.  If they intend to export to the Caribbean that involves maritime fuel terminals so refueling an LNG cruise ship in Miami could possibly leverage that instead of Savannah. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

In October, the vessel received its two 307-ton LNG fuel tank, which, according to Royal Caribbean, are the largest in the entire cruise industry.

2 hours ago, twangster said:

"Constructed in just one year, our 100,000 gallon-per-day Miami liquefier was commissioned in 2015.

LNG weighs 4 lbs / gallon

Miami liquifier can create 100,000 gallons of LNG per day.  

A residential 500 gallon propane tank weighs 1000 lbs, and holds 2000 lbs of propane.

At the same weight ratio, two 307 ton tanks will contain 600,000 gallons of LNG.

(The weight ratio underestimates fuel capacity by up to an order of magnitude.  Oasis class ships can hold 2,000,000 gallons of bunker fuel.  LNG energy density is 40% less than that of bunker fuel, so for the same sailing range, ICON may need 3,000,000 gallons of LNG)

The Miami plant will have to run 24 hours a day just to fill ICON's gas tank once a week.

The barges will still be running.  (Figures can lie, and liars can figure, but the math is still fun)

Edited by gmerick

9 minutes ago, gmerick said:

LNG weighs 4 lbs / gallon

Miami liquifier can create 100,000 gallons of LNG per day.  

A residential 500 gallon propane tank weighs 1000 lbs, and holds 2000 lbs of propane.

At the same weight ratio, two 307 ton tanks will contain 600,000 gallons of LNG.

(The weight ratio underestimates fuel capacity by up to an order of magnitude.  Oasis class ships can hold 2,000,000 gallons of bunker fuel.  LNG energy density is 40% less than that of bunker fuel, so for the same sailing range, ICON may need 3,000,000 gallons of LNG)

The Miami plant will have to run 24 hours a day just to fill ICON's gas tank once a week.

The barges will still be running.  (Figures can lie, and liars can figure, but the math is still fun)

Which is why they have large storage tanks on site.  

BTW - Q-LNG has a capacity of around 1M gallons so apparently even that barge won't satisfy the 3M gallon tanks you cite for Icon.  They'll need 3 or more barges to fill Icon based on your figures.

• Like 1

It's been a long while since I have sailed on an inaugural cruise and would like to be on the one for Icon of the Seas. Which cruise will be the inaugural one?

Will it be one of the first few that apparently may take place out of Southampton? The transatlantic from Southampton? Or the first cruise from Miami?

What does Royal usually do?

2 minutes ago, Tough as Leather said:

What does Royal usually do?

They could call either one the inaugural or even both - very unlikely the TA would be called that. Then, there's the maiden, though they probably can't name two of them that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

They could call either one the inaugural or even both - very unlikely the TA would be called that. Then, there's the maiden, though they probably can't name two of them that.

Do they name it as soon as itineraries come out? I want to book as soon as they do!

28 minutes ago, miraflores said:

Viking Ocean Ships have those. Link

I can just imagine a mesmerizing, peaceful, relaxing infinity pool at the stern of the ship, tuning out the din around me and being able to take in the scenic view of the ocean or port with a nice drink. Yup. 

Viking-Ocean-Jupiter 1.jpg

Viking-Ocean-Jupiter 2.jpg

Edited by Lloyd555
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Lloyd555 said:

I can just imagine a mesmerizing, peaceful, relaxing infinity pool at the stern of the ship, tuning out the din around me and being able to take in the scenic view of the ocean or port with a nice drink. Yup. 

Okay... why are you phrasing it like this? 🤨

@Lloyd555 I get the feeling that you may know more than you are sharing. If that is the case, is there a reason why? Maybe you work for one of these places, and I was not aware of that, which would explain why it feel like you know more than you are sharing.. LOL

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mikew0805 said:

@Lloyd555 I get the feeling that you may know more than you are sharing. If that is the case, is there a reason why? Maybe you work for one of these places, and I was not aware of that, which would explain why it feel like you know more than you are sharing.. LOL

Nope. Don't work for any of the companies involved. I just manage to find out things about the new builds I follow in my FB groups and here. I can't wait for the renderings to be shown so that I can comment. 

Once again, maintaining poker face...

POKER FACE.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lloyd555 said:

Viking-Ocean-Jupiter 1.jpg

Viking-Ocean-Jupiter 2.jpg

So something like this will be in either where the Aqua Theater is or the Abyss on Oasis Class 😃

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lloyd555 said:

Nope. Don't work for any of the companies involved. I just manage to find out things about the new builds I follow in my FB groups and here. I can't wait for the renderings to be shown so that I can comment. 

Once again, maintaining poker face...

POKER FACE.jpg

I have also seen the renders for Icon and I also must say I can’t wait for people to see the ship when it is finally announced!

A recent photo with a block containing decks 4, 5 &6 just installed on the build shows a portion , but not all of deck 6 jutting out over the running track area on deck 5.

Could some or even most of the running track area be two decks high?

Altered a Wonder of the Seas photo to show what I mean:

2083385468_Janne-PetteriKumpulainenApril302022juttingoutCCpost.thumb.jpg.3b70c292538361c3b24f4008536cd03f.jpg

5 minutes ago, Tough as Leather said:

A recent photo with a block containing decks 4, 5 &6 just installed on the build shows a portion , but not all of deck 6 jutting out over the running track area on deck 5.

Good observation.

11 minutes ago, Tough as Leather said:

Thank you. 🙂

@Lloyd555 Have you identified any of the pieces and blocks? You think you know where they go on the ship?

Thanks to engine casing openings, the elevator shafts and guest & crew stairways, it's possible for people to get an idea where some blocks are located-ish. Deck4-6 blocks are easier to identify and it's possible to somewhat determine where they go with the help of discussions with & opinions of others.

I know where the sphere is going on the ship by checking out some of the blocks and thanks to some great help.😎

Edited by Lloyd555

4 hours ago, Tough as Leather said:

2083385468_Janne-PetteriKumpulainenApril302022juttingoutCCpost.thumb.jpg.3b70c292538361c3b24f4008536cd03f.jpg

Some of the blocks in the yard and that just arrived the other day on Aura look very similar to some sections of Odyssey. Two levels of rectangular/Square windows and a lower level with portholes. To your point, at the same time it looks like there could be a second level or definitely an area of the outdoor promenade with no lifeboats.

35E8B12F-4722-4C16-ABE1-29F629844656.png