Warning -- Don't try to bring baked goods onboard the anthem

I was on the the anthem -- April 20 departure and lots of folks tried to bring back baked goods from Mike's Bakery in Boston and were denied.  Some complained about security staff and others posted that it literally ruined their vacation (on facebook).  I  googled "can I bring baked goods back to the anthem" while I was at Mike's and was brought to this page https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/food-drink-onboard-policy which clearly states "you are free to bring non-perishable prepackaged food in limited quantities."  I took that to mean that no, I can't bring fresh baked cannolis to my cabin.  I was right. 

Don't make the same mistake others did.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, rachelfran said:

I was on the the anthem -- April 20 departure and lots of folks tried to bring back baked goods from Mike's Bakery in Boston and were denied.  Some complained about security staff and others posted that it literally ruined their vacation (on facebook).  I  googled "can I bring baked goods back to the anthem" while I was at Mike's and was brought to this page https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/food-drink-onboard-policy which clearly states "you are free to bring non-perishable prepackaged food in limited quantities."  I took that to mean that no, I can't bring fresh baked cannolis to my cabin.  I was right. 

Don't make the same mistake others did.

Well I agree this is disturbing not being able to bring fresh baked items onboard (thinking about Holy Donuts in Portland Maine)...Then why have some been able to bring onboard birthday cakes or so they have posted?

I've had no trouble bringing fudge (selected than bagged or boxed) from Juneau and Ketchikan from the candy shops there.

Edited by Ashland

5 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Well I agree this is disturbing not being able to bring fresh baked items onboard (thinking about Holy Donuts in Portland Maine)...Then why have some been able to bring onboard birthday cakes or so they have posted?

I've had no trouble bringing fudge (selected than bagged or boxed) from Juneau and Ketchikan from the candy shops there.

Two things...

1) Cannoli's are more perishable than a cake is.  Get the filling warm, and, well...  (same can be suggested about a cannoli vs a doughnut.)

2) In Boston, they know to look out for them.

BTW, fudge is room temp stable.  So it's allowed on board.

26 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

Two things...

1) Cannoli's are more perishable than a cake is.  Get the filling warm, and, well...  (same can be suggested about a cannoli vs a doughnut.)

2) In Boston, they know to look out for them.

BTW, fudge is room temp stable.  So it's allowed on board.

So you can bring on a whole cake but not a donut ??

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

I would assume the rules make sense to RCCL's legal department.  Whether they are enforced uniformly is another matter.

The rules might make more sense to those manning the port embarkation and all the goodies (baked) they confiscate.....Holy Donuts !!

Traveling to New England and Canada soon.  So, I need to eat the donuts in port?  I'm sure that will not be a problem!

Thanks for the heads up.  But, we have brought bakery cookies on board at one of the Florida ports and some bakery items at a Mexico port.  Go figure!

M

26 minutes ago, Ashland said:

The rules might make more sense to those manning the port embarkation and all the goodies (baked) they confiscate.....Holy Donuts !!

Perhaps it depends on whether or not the crew has eaten recently...

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Traveling to New England and Canada soon.  So, I need to eat the donuts in port?  I'm sure that will not be a problem!

Thanks for the heads up.  But, we have brought bakery cookies on board at one of the Florida ports and some bakery items at a Mexico port.  Go figure!

M

We have also at several ports many times...in my large purse that just goes through the x-ray machine when (re) boarding....it doesn't seem that they were looking for goodies just liquor etc.

2 hours ago, Ashland said:

(thinking about Holy Donuts in Portland Maine)...

Oh my!  I miss those donuts.  I wish they would ship them to me in Florida.  I definitely brought a couple back on the ship with me when we stopped there.

I also brought fudge on the ship in Alaska too, but that was on Princess. 

Both items were not sealed as I had been sampling them all day long.

Does anyone have personal knowledge of anyone bringing CARNATIONS (cut flowers) on a ship sailing from a Florida port?  I have read that it is not allowed from Caribbean ports.  I have been in contact with multiple departments at RCCL and still the only answer I have been able to get is "no plastic flowers."

I have sailed with couple from Canada who always bring a wheel of cheese from St. Maarten.

Cheese wheels are considered pre-packaged.  We brought several onboard when we initially boarded our TA in Amsterdam.  Also quite a bit of chocolate from Belgium.  About 5 boxes were packaged and sealed (gifts). But we did have two small containers of hand selected chocolates that were opened and were for us onboard.  They were in our checked luggage and did not end up in the naughty room.  

I almost forgot - we also had several bags of Key Lime Candies & Cookies from Kermits in Key West that we used for gifts.  They were hand packaged in the shop.  We carried them back on the ship in my a bag after a port day. Nothing needed refrigeration.  It seems they are mostly looking for produce.  Not sure why the cannoli were confiscated. 🤔.